Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus RX in person...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 01:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian231
Probably Diehard RX buyers or those leasing will jump on this vehicle. It is quite different that the previous models.
I would tend to agree, but based on sales stats a lot of them are sitting on the fence. Having driven both, yes they are both different mostly in size but almost equally boring.
Old 04-15-09, 01:24 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I would tend to agree, but based on sales stats a lot of them are sitting on the fence. Having driven both, yes they are both different mostly in size but almost equally boring.
Lexus probably did not anticipate releasing this new design with the economy tanking. I am not surprised they are sitting on the lots. Most RX's at dealers cost in the upwards of $44k plus.
Old 04-15-09, 01:32 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

what can of worms did i open lol

I owned a RX400h a few years ago before i got into an accident, so I'm not talking out of my ***. I loved the old design. It was sleek, upscale, and most importantly IMO a very handsome design.

As most people understood, this was just a personal preference post about the new one.

I agree there are a LOT of ugly SUVs out there, many way uglier than the RX. However none/rarely do any of them have any impact on the mid-sized SUV industry as the RX.

I was driving, i saw it, it made me feel sick, that's all.

I did not really mean to call people stupid and I figured you guys knew i wasn't serious. I leave the serious jracer in the debate forums.

I guess what i don't like about it is the fact the front looks like it has puffy cheeks. The rear is a Subaru Tribeca.

Old 04-15-09, 01:42 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Excellent Tribeca comparison (lol). Ah, It's still a Lexus and will be first in my book for SUV's if I ventured into that arena.
Old 04-15-09, 02:11 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

thats because you guys are picking the pictures with angles that dont flatter the car.

Old 04-15-09, 02:22 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
thats because you guys are picking the pictures with angles that dont flatter the car.

Those don't help as far as I'm concerned. The car looks portly, ungainly and needlessly massive. And the 3 photo down looks alarming similar to the Aztek.

Last edited by speedflex; 04-15-09 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-15-09, 02:31 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Now I want a Ponitac Aztek, see what these threads do!!! It was the comparisons that did me in!!!
Old 04-15-09, 02:34 PM
RXSF

lol you cant be serious about the RX even being in the same galaxy as the Aztec in terms of styling.
Old 04-15-09, 02:36 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

lol you cant be serious about the RX even being in the same galaxy as the Aztec in terms of styling.
I was (LOL)!!!!!
Old 04-15-09, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Although I agree the RX is the soft-rider SUV not favored by those that enjoy driving, considering the RX is a new redesigned model sales have been rather feeble compared to prior years. Yes I know the state of the economy, but new model launches usually yield better results.
While that was generally true of older RX models, the new RX is really not really that soft-riding. I reviewed a new 2010 RX350 a couple of months ago. True, its tires, contrary to the trend in most vehicles, went from a lower-profile 55-series to a taller 60 this year, which would tend to smooth things out a little, but that was more than compensated for by the fact they they went to Double-Wishbone suspension this year that added firmness to the underpinnings. The new RX, despite its superb refinement, powertrain smoothness, and noise isolation (that hasn't changed), is noticeably firmer over bumps now.

I'm waiting for a chance (by CL member request) to review and drive a new 2010 RX Hybrid. When they become available in my area, I will simply update the RX350 review with the differences between that and the Hybrid model, rather than do a whole (and unneccessary) new Hybrid review from scratch.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-15-09 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-15-09, 02:43 PM
RXSF

lol brian was referring to speedflex and how he could even post a picture of the aztec and compare it to the RX. from reading most of your posts here, i could tell you were joking
Old 04-15-09, 02:44 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I can't help but see the same ungainly proportions. And the general shape is why this RX fails for me.
Old 04-15-09, 02:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While that was generally true of older RX models, the new RX is really not really that soft-riding. I reviewed a new RX 350 a couple of months ago. True, its tires, contrary to the trend in most vehicles, went from a lower-profile 55-series to a taller 60 this year, which would tend to smooth things out a little, but that was more than compensated for by the fact they they went to Double-Wishbone suspension this year that added firmness to the underpinnings. The new RX, despite its superb refinement, powertrain smoothness, and noise isolation (that hasn't changed), is noticeably firmer over bumps now.
Still plenty soft riding by todays standards (but not as mushy as geezer pleezer Buicks)I drove it on rough roads.

In order to achieve safe handling in such a tall heavy vehicle some firmness needs to be built-in, especially without advancements such as active suspension. The RX is a good example of suspension compromise with the result being mediocre handling and responsiveness.
Old 04-15-09, 02:46 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by speedflex
But I can't help but see the same ungainly proportions. And the general shape is why this RX fails for me.
then you should also have a problem with the 1st gen and 2nd gen too.

im sorry, from all the attacking, it seemed like everyone just hates the 3rd gen and praises the 2nd gen. While i like my car, im looking to trade up
Old 04-15-09, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I have to agree. Although styling, of course, is a subjective matter, I don't see how most people could compare the new RX with an Aztek.

The reason I say MOST people is that I once actually watched a young couple come to a Pontiac dealership, fall in love with the Aztek, and take home a brand-new white one a couple of hours later.

Quick Reply: New Lexus RX in person...