Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus RX in person...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 02:48 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
then you should also have a problem with the 1st gen and 2nd gen too.

im sorry, from all the attacking, it seemed like everyone just hates the 3rd gen and praise the 2nd gen. While i like my car, im looking to trade up
I liked the first gen. It was sleek and tight in its styling. The second gen got less so and this new one is just a blob. But the first gen was cool.
Old 04-15-09, 02:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The new RX is selling very well vs. some of its competition. Here are some March sales:

6,177 RX
1,094 Q5
2,598 GLK
1,675 M Class
2,001 X5
Old 04-15-09, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Still plenty soft riding by todays standards (but not as mushy as geezer pleezer Buicks)I drove it on rough roads.

In order to achieve safe handling in such a tall heavy vehicle some firmness needs to be built-in, especially without advancements such as active suspension. The RX is a good example of suspension compromise with the result being mediocre handling and responsiveness.
The first-gen RX achieved safe handling (at least when driven sensibly) with a softer ride then the new version, but I agree with you that it did have more body lean. And I agree with you that, if you want sharp handling, a high center of gravity does not always go with marshmallow underpinnings.
Old 04-15-09, 02:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The new RX is selling very well vs. some of its competition. Here are some March sales:

6,177 RX
1,094 Q5
2,598 GLK
1,675 M Class
2,001 X5

Good stats, realizing that RX, Q5, GLK all have fresh versions too. Lexus does have a good cash cow with the high margin RX.
Old 04-15-09, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2

6,177 RX
1,094 Q5
2,598 GLK
1,675 M Class
2,001 X5
Not surprising. Most people who want this type of vehicle would tend to choose the RX's smoothness, quietness, build quality, and refinement over the admittedly better sportiness of the German makes. I would, myself................the new RX350 is on my Top 5 list of consideration for my next vehicle (along with the IS250AWD, some Subarus, and the Toyota Venza) though it's hard to shrug off the BMW's superb steering.
Old 04-15-09, 04:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
We know this.. But there are some suv's that will defy logic & put many cars including your Suburu & my Lexus to shame in the handeling & performance dept..
Yeah and those vehicles aren't the Lexus RX.
Old 04-15-09, 04:55 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While that was generally true of older RX models, the new RX is really not really that soft-riding. I reviewed a new 2010 RX350 a couple of months ago. True, its tires, contrary to the trend in most vehicles, went from a lower-profile 55-series to a taller 60 this year, which would tend to smooth things out a little, but that was more than compensated for by the fact they they went to Double-Wishbone suspension this year that added firmness to the underpinnings. The new RX, despite its superb refinement, powertrain smoothness, and noise isolation (that hasn't changed), is noticeably firmer over bumps now.

I'm waiting for a chance (by CL member request) to review and drive a new 2010 RX Hybrid. When they become available in my area, I will simply update the RX350 review with the differences between that and the Hybrid model, rather than do a whole (and unneccessary) new Hybrid review from scratch.
I test drove the 2010 RX 10 days ago, and found it handled much more precisely than I feared. The suspension wasn't overly squishy, but it was comfortable (and since both my husband and myself have had spinal surgery, it IS a consideration that is now ahead of "fun to drive.") I was surprised by how much I liked it, frankly.

I have always had MTs, so this will be my first car with an AT - and the Lexus' is far and away the most refined and appropriately matched. Hunting was minimal, as was peddle-mashing.

I have also driven the Q5 - the seats are too short for touring comfort, and the ride is harder, although it was fun. The Q7 is a floaty boat. The MDX is loud (5 spd AT), and the interior is too crowded and claustrophobic to me. The Venza, with its 20" wheels, was harsh (although the interior is nice), and the AT hunted more than I liked. The Tribeca, no longer G*d-awful ugly, simply has insufficient second row leg room for our best friend (who is 6'4") or my elderly mother with bad knees.

I am most interested in hearing from people who have driven the new RX with the adaptive suspension. Was the one you drove equipped with it? I'm wondering if I'd be happiest with a regularly-suspended RX, or if the sport tuning makes an appreciable difference to handling...

Sandi
Old 04-15-09, 04:57 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they couldve made the RX rear end look more upscale for the same cost.

but they didn't.

and that's what i hate about lexus. it always has the cheap look.
Old 04-15-09, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Uote]

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
I test drove the 2010 RX 10 days ago, and found it handled much more precisely than I feared. The suspension wasn't overly squishy, but it was comfortable (and since both my husband and myself have had spinal surgery, it IS a consideration that is now ahead of "fun to drive.") I was surprised by how much I liked it, frankly.
Welcome to CL, Sandi. I see you are a brand-new member. And it's nice to have a new lady wth us.....we are enormously male-heavy here.

I wish you and your husband the best of luck on your spines, for a full recovery, whatever the problems are.

I have also driven the Q5 - the seats are too short for touring comfort, and the ride is harder, although it was fun. The Q7 is a floaty boat. The MDX is loud (5 spd AT), and the interior is too crowded and claustrophobic to me. The Venza, with its 20" wheels, was harsh (although the interior is nice), and the AT hunted more than I liked. The Tribeca, no longer G*d-awful ugly, simply has insufficient second row leg room for our best friend (who is 6'4") or my elderly mother with bad knees.

I am most interested in hearing from people who have driven the new RX with the adaptive suspension. Was the one you drove equipped with it? I'm wondering if I'd be happiest with a regularly-suspended RX, or if the sport tuning makes an appreciable difference to handling...

Sandi
I have reviewed most of the vehicles you have mentioned in your post. Here.....you can read what I have to say, in detail:

RX350:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...xus-rx350.html

Venza:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ota-venza.html

Q5:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...9-audi-q5.html

And some older MDX and Q7 reviews, which were not as comprehensive back then as they are now. Nor did they include images like they do now.

MDX:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...acura-mdx.html

Q7:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...6-premium.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-15-09 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-15-09, 08:00 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Marshall, thanks for the welcome. My husband is a car nut, so I've evolved into one as well.

I'm reading your other reviews (always fun to see others' perspective), and thought you should know - the Venza link above is currently redirecting to the RX350 review...

Sandi
Old 04-15-09, 08:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As for the RX, in person up close I was impressed with its quality of course/interior but the exterior did leave me very blah. When I did see one on the road I was very underwhelmed.

I would HAVE to get the RX 450h and the optional LEDs and the sport kit. The optional LEDs change the front end very well. To me, the RX 400h and last gen RX looked just about perfect and aged very very well.
i liked the redesign (in and out), but i was not impressed when i took the RX350 for a road test. not enough power or road feel; like you, if i were to pick up a RX, it would have to be a 450h (300 HP) with at least the sport package. led would be nice to have.
Old 04-15-09, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Marshall, thanks for the welcome. My husband is a car nut, so I've evolved into one as well.

I'm reading your other reviews (always fun to see others' perspective), and thought you should know - the Venza link above is currently redirecting to the RX350 review...

Sandi
Sorry...my fault. I'll re-post it.

Venza:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ota-venza.html
Old 04-15-09, 08:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

the new styling is growing on me. They blew the fenders out and gave the lines some masculinity and boldness
Old 04-15-09, 09:50 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

So I guess what everybody is saying is that Lexus needs to come out with the RX-F as soon as possible!
Old 04-16-09, 05:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i liked the redesign (in and out), but i was not impressed when i took the RX350 for a road test. not enough power or road feel; like you, if i were to pick up a RX, it would have to be a 450h (300 HP) with at least the sport package. led would be nice to have.
The RX is not supposed to be a Porsche Cayenne. It excels at what it does best....refinement and build quality.

Quick Reply: New Lexus RX in person...