Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus RX in person...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 07:13 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Lexus RX in person...

SO i was driving across the 56 fwy and i saw the new RX come on the freeway. That thing is HIDEOUS. I have no other way to say it. It's pure fug. I know that the interior is great, but you have to get me near the car first. It doesn't look like a luxury SUV. It looks like a cheap SUV with chrome lights.

Lexus will still probably sell a bajillion of these. People are so stupid.
Old 04-14-09, 07:18 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

i think it looks hot.
Old 04-14-09, 07:19 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw one. Looks nice. I don't understand how it weighs so much more than the last.
Old 04-14-09, 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
SO i was driving across the 56 fwy and i saw the new RX come on the freeway. That thing is HIDEOUS. I have no other way to say it. It's pure fug. I know that the interior is great, but you have to get me near the car first. It doesn't look like a luxury SUV. It looks like a cheap SUV with chrome lights.
Of course, styling is a subjective matter, but IMO, it doesn't look any worse outside than some other small-to-mid-sized, car-based SUVs, like the Nissan Murano, Honda CR-V, and, of course, the infamous Pontiac Aztek.

And, as you yourself note, the interior is quite well-done, though I'm not a fan of the computer-mouse on the console.

Its best features, though, far and away, are the refinement, noise isolation, and superb powertrain smoothness, and, though its ride is not as smooth as that of the LS460, it is an excellent vehicle to sit back and relax in.

Why not? They sold a bajillion of the last generation model.....and the one before that. You can't say all of them were stupid, too.
Old 04-14-09, 07:30 PM
LexFather

Well with your reasoning (which I don't totally disagree with) there are a lot of stupid people. Because the class below the RX, the cute utes are even more disgusting (x3, rdx, glk, ex35) except the Q5. On top of that Benz and BMW ditched good style and substance for random drunk lines and SUV influence on most all their vehicles. I wouldn't call them stupid, just that their priorities or sense of style is "different". Its crystal clear a LOT of ugly vehicles sell based on other merits.

Honda and especially Acura make by far the ugliest contraptions on the market. They shouldn't even be called cars.

As for the RX, in person up close I was impressed with its quality of course/interior but the exterior did leave me very blah. When I did see one on the road I was very underwhelmed.

I would HAVE to get the RX 450h and the optional LEDs and the sport kit. The optional LEDs change the front end very well. To me, the RX 400h and last gen RX looked just about perfect and aged very very well.

Its clear some brands with the badge power can sell ugly cars. Honda/Acura/Benz/BMW/Lexus/Toyota.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-14-09 at 08:06 PM.

Old 04-14-09, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Honda and especially Acura make by far the ugliest contraptions on the market. They shouldn't even be called cars.
Worse than the Dodge Nitro? Or the Nissan Murano? And wait till you see the new Cadillac SRX.

Old 04-14-09, 08:03 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree as I just saw a white Rx today. It just reminds me of the Mazada. But I love the inside though!
Old 04-14-09, 08:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

There's uglier things on the road for sure. I still like many of the European designs that I saw in Mexico that we don't get here, but I always got very nice compliments on the lines of my RX300, which many people thought was new when I lived down there, even until the time I left.

I personally liked the 2010 RX350 I drove not too long ago and came away very much impressed especially in handling.
Old 04-14-09, 08:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Saw the new RX on the road a few times already, exterior design definitely not as good as 2RX, but not disgusting, still better than 1RX to me ...
Old 04-14-09, 08:24 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

the previous gen rx looked alot better. when I first saw the new one at SF international auto show first thing i thought was damn this thing is ugly. then the lexus lady was talking to another couple about how sporty it looks and I loled and she got pissed. haha
Old 04-14-09, 09:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks ok but so far I've mostly seen them from the back where it looks familiar to the current model. I still can get over the sharply sloping chin.
Old 04-14-09, 09:35 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Seen it up close twice. Def. not feeling it at all.
Old 04-14-09, 09:41 PM
lex-phil
Driver

I actually hated it in the pics, but after seeing it on the road (I've seen quite a lot now) it doesn't look too bad. Its growing on me and I'm starting to think it looks good, definitely better than what Acura offers. I still think the second gen looks better though.
Old 04-14-09, 09:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw one parked at the dealership yesterday and it looks more masculine imo, but the fron is set up for positive lift. The front end is awkward looking
Old 04-14-09, 09:56 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I have been very critical of the current line up of cars...Lexus cars and suvs used to be #1/#2 in comparos but there cars now seem to be last place finishers....but Lexus SUVs are outstanding IMO. It appear to me that Lexus really has been listening to the critics and upped the ante big time with the new RX. Not just to keep the suvs happy but more important to keep the brand on top.

The new RX has hit the right note and finally has introduced the new mouse stick controller. Like the new LX/LC...the RX has recieved a price increase on the top end model...this to me is a reflection of Lexus upping the desing and build cost.

Quick Reply: New Lexus RX in person...