Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 07:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Yes and the Germans have decades of head start too in the Japanese luxury car market before Lexus and the rest of the Japanese manufacturers even started to make luxury cars , that's the main reason ...

The LS is doing really well in Japan though, also the IS, and their numbers/market share will look better in Japan with the RX officially a Lexus this year, they will become more prominent in Japan when they add more Lexus models.
Not to take this off topic but I wonder is the LF-A priority maybe in Japan then other countries? A LF-A could really catapult the Lexus name at home.

Old 05-16-09, 11:39 AM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, my point isn't that the Asian countries aren't brand oriented-generally (they like their Hermes bags and Gucci sunglasses just like everywhere else), but rather when it came to autos, the Asian countries (namely Korea and Japan) didn't feel the need to set up multiple brands to differentiate among their offerings.

In Korea, Hyundai didn't set up a separate nameplate to sell the Azera, the Genesis and the Equus alongside econobox models such as the Accent, just as the Renault Samsung SM7 is sold alongside more modest offerings.

The same w/ Japan where Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mitsu have long sold luxury models and econoboxes under one nameplate.

The US auto manufacturers, however, set up different brands to differentiate their offerings to the various group of prospective buyers (going from entry level buyers to mid-level buyers to luxury-level buyers).

Ford has Ford, Mercury and Lincoln.

Chrysler had Plymouth, Dodge and Chrysler and at one point had Valiant, Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, and Imperial.

GM had Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick and Cadillac (as well as several other brands).

Last edited by YEH; 05-16-09 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-16-09, 02:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Barely - The current line of cars is the only to be even remotely competitive against their peers
Incorrect. Hyundais, for the most part (depending on the model), have been competitive for about 8-10 years now
Old 05-16-09, 03:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Incorrect. Hyundais, for the most part (depending on the model), have been competitive for about 8-10 years now
Incorrect, only in the last few years have some Hyundais have been competitive, unless your are comparing to the junk that litters GM and Chrysler product lines. That's why only a few of us own Hyundais, usually Sonatas and are considering owning Genesis models.
Old 05-16-09, 04:37 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I still stand by my statement. The last gen of Hyundais (Sonata, Tiburon, XG, etc.) were all inferior to the segment leaders. I could care less if they were "reliable", they were poorly designed cars.
Old 05-16-09, 08:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must have missed the memo where "incorrect" is supposed to replace the words "I disagree", or similar phrases.
Old 05-16-09, 09:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
I must have missed the memo where "incorrect" is supposed to replace the words "I disagree", or similar phrases.

I used the term "incorrect", in this case, because there is much evidence, if you look at today's success at Hyundai/Kia, and how it has been mounting for the last 8-10 years, that the last poster was wrong. He, of course, is entitled to his opinion that they are poorly-built cars (and I respect that).....but, not only an increasing part of the public, but important auto magazines as well, now "disagree" (to use your term) with him.

We not only see outdated images like this with Hyundai, but also with other auto companies......Mercedes is a good example. There are people who still think that Mercedes builds the most solid, durable cars on the planet, which has not been the case now for some 15 years. There are also people who still think that today's automotive diesels are still the stinky, sooty, clattery, sluggish, hard-to-start, unreliable powerplants they were 30 years ago, and have no inkling of today's marvelous Bluetec and TDI diesel technology.

The term "competitiveness", of course, can mean different things to different people (witness his own opinion), but, in the sense that most people use the term, Hyundai, not only today, but for some years, has met that standard.

So, in short, the point I'm trying to make is that time marches on....and Hyundai has marched with it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-09 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-16-09, 10:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short answer, correct or not correct means nothing for subjective crap. But agreed Hyundai has moved in the right direction, unlike some of it's big/weak bankrupt competitors.
Old 05-17-09, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Short answer, correct or not correct means nothing for subjective crap.
Yes, I agree, but what I wrote, concerning Hyundai, was not subjective. You yourself note that.
Old 05-17-09, 03:26 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I agree, but what I wrote, concerning Hyundai, was not subjective. You yourself note that.
How good Hyundais have been compared to the competition over the last decade is an entirely subjective discussion.

He simply agreed with you on the point that Hyundai has made great improvements recently. In other words his opinion matches your opinion on one particular point. That doesn't make it any more objective or factual.
Old 05-17-09, 06:53 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexkrafcik/3523929410

anybody seen this link yet? it's a video of Equus shot by john Krafcik's son.
Old 05-17-09, 08:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Genesis doesn't even sport Hundai name anywhere on the car. The front grille has some weird emblem, and the back has Hundai emblem and Genesis name, but it doesn't say Hundai anywhere. Its obvious the marketers of this car are ashamed of the Hundai name and wont slap it on the car.
Old 05-17-09, 08:30 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

1999-2005- hyundai was making average cars comparable to domestics but falling behind honyotas. People began to take a notice because of 100k warranty with a good reliability.

since 2006 ~ - hyundai is making above average cars comparable to japanese. most of them weren't class leaders, but definitely were above average.

2008 - Genesis happened. There were no bad reviews for genesis. it won awards after awards. Truly the beginning of something very special. people are looking at hyundai seriously

2009 - Genesis Coupe arrived. hyundai is no longer a boring company. it offers something we've been wanting for last 15 years. hyundai is attracting young buyers like myself. and watch out for R-spec.

remains to be seen

hyundai i10- Supermini could come to U.S. I bet within the next 3-4 years we will have 5-6 super mini's in the us.

New sonata - will it be ready to dethrone perennial winners like accord and camry? remains to be seen. I personally think the next gen sonata will surprise many people and will sell ALOT. could be a top 5 best seller. spyshots indicates that it will have a sexier lines and be more 'euro'.

New Hybrid by 2010 - Hyundai desperately needs a prius fighter

Portico crossover - Spyshots look promising IMO. audi qx7 ish.

New tucson - will be competitive. current model is 5 years old and it badly needs an update.

Equus - Hit or miss, it will only help hyundai's image. let base start at high 40k and loaded one for 58-59k. I think hyundai can actually sell them without launching the new luxury brand.

I think hyundai's growth won't stop unless kim jeong il goes mad and starts nuking seoul. seriously, I think hyundai will grow and they will grow big. I'm betting hyundai will pass nissan in sales within next 4 years.

2 cents folks.
Old 05-17-09, 08:33 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
The Genesis doesn't even sport Hundai name anywhere on the car. The front grille has some weird emblem, and the back has Hundai emblem and Genesis name, but it doesn't say Hundai anywhere. Its obvious the marketers of this car are ashamed of the Hundai name and wont slap it on the car.

h people chose klingon grille over straight horizontal grille with the flying H in online poll posted by hyundai. hyundai listened to people's requests. and genesis doesn't have any emblem in the front.
Old 05-18-09, 11:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Hyundai. like many Asian car manufacturers can be competitive because they spend less money on R&D. What they are doing is taking a competitor's car and copying their design and technology. Toyota have been doing that for years until they got to the top, once a car company is near the top, they can no longer do that, buyers will start to expect innovative design and technology from the company. This is when more money have to be invested in R&D. Until Hyundai get pass that stage, it is not a success yet.

Quick Reply: Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis