Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 02:32 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In March, Hyundai sold 1,626 Genesis in North America.

YTD thru March, 3,946 (about 1,300 per month avg.).

Not a game changer yet, but a decent number of cars I guess, considering the state of the economy.
Thanks for posting these sales numbers, I was about to look these up!!
Old 04-15-09, 02:55 PM
LexFather

Lets also add more to the whole picture
1. Fleet sales, how many are for the Genesis?
2. Lease program, they now have a $329-$399 a month lease deal going on
3. Hyundai Assurance program clearly is helping sell the car for those that want a nice car but are scared of losing their job.

Its a superb car I like it a lot but I don't fully buy people just dumping their luxury brands for it yet.

Old 04-15-09, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its a superb car I like it a lot but I don't fully buy people just dumping their luxury brands for it yet.
Well, money talks. Apparantly some buyers feel that they can have their cake and eat it, too....a nice luxury or semi-luxury sedan and keep some money in their pockets.....the extra $$$$$ they would have spent on a new Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Infiniti, Cadillac, or Lincoln instead. However, having reviewed a Genesis sedan, I'll be honest. Like you, I think it is a great car for the money, but it, of course, lacks the BMW's steering/chassis (but the Genesis Coupe 3.8 track doesn't). It also, to an extent, lacks the super-strong Mercedes frame/safety features, superb Audi Quattro AWD system, or the Lexus overall refinement. But, for the money, it is obviously attracting a lot of people, considering the economy and the recession.
Old 04-15-09, 03:09 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
I have a hard time believing that someone who could previously afford a 100k+ Aston Martin would trade it in for a Genesis, unless that Aston Martin was in really bad shape and really old he should have been able to get 2, or 1 plus a Sonata.
I could see people going from like a E/5/GS/A6 to a Genesis, but anything beyond that seems like a bit of a stretch, considering they don't mention MY's I'm guessing all the cars that were traded in were 10+ years old.
Probably works in real estate and has watched his bubble wealth evaporate...
Old 04-15-09, 03:11 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, money talks. Apparantly some buyers feel that they can have their cake and eat it, too....a nice luxury or semi-luxury sedan and keep some money in their pockets.....the extra $$$$$ they would have spent on a new Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Infiniti, Cadillac, or Lincoln instead. However, having reviewed a Genesis sedan, I'll be honest. Like you, I think it is a great car for the money, but it, of course, lacks the BMW's steering/chassis (but the Genesis Coupe 3.8 track doesn't). It also, to an extent, lacks the super-strong Mercedes frame/safety features, superb Audi Quattro AWD system, or the Lexus overall refinement. But, for the money, it is obviously attracting a lot of people, considering the economy and the recession.
IMO, some people buy luxury cars to show that they've got wealth and some buy used luxury cars as a value for money play (me). Think 3 yr used lexus is250 at 20k vs new honda accord or 1998 gs400 at 10k vs 3yr lease on Honda.
Old 04-15-09, 03:12 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I wonder how many of these Genesis owners would keep their cars in a few years and how many would replace it with another Hyundai. By the way, why do the sedan and coupe share the same name? You don't see any other coupe/sedan combo from the other automakers look so different from each other. Accord, Civic, 3-series, G37, Altima, Cobalt, Yaris, all of these share most of their design between coupe and sedan. Is Genesis a brand or a single model?
I don't know if there is another thread or not but if Hyundai does bring the Equus here as rumored, that gives a larger car and that does give room for customers that have good experiences with a Genesis to move up within the marque. Just have to wait and see. I will be kind of interested to see what my wife thinks of the Genesis. She could well be a candidate when she gets ready to replace her GS.
Old 04-15-09, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

By the way, why do the sedan and coupe share the same name? You don't see any other coupe/sedan combo from the other automakers look so different from each other. Accord, Civic, 3-series, G37, Altima, Cobalt, Yaris, all of these share most of their design between coupe and sedan. Is Genesis a brand or a single model?
It's not that rare for a coupe and sedan to be substantially different. You see a lot of differences in the Toyota line between the Camry sedan and its coupe version...the Solara. That is also the case, to a lesser extent, between the Nissan Altima sedan and coupe.
Old 04-15-09, 03:50 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
I have a hard time believing that someone who could previously afford a 100k+ Aston Martin would trade it in for a Genesis, unless that Aston Martin was in really bad shape and really old he should have been able to get 2, or 1 plus a Sonata.
I could see people going from like a E/5/GS/A6 to a Genesis, but anything beyond that seems like a bit of a stretch, considering they don't mention MY's I'm guessing all the cars that were traded in were 10+ years old.
agreed.

off topic but...imho, it is not wrong to enjoy the fruit of your hard work; if you make enough money to afford a luxury car, you should not feel pressured to buy down from a luxury brand (insert name here) to a genesis.

if a person buys a genesis because they like the car, fine i'm ok with that. but if a person is afraid to get a nice car that he can afford because of the stigma of being wealthy, then he needs to get his head checked. there will always be rich and poor people, and there will alway be someone richer or poorer than you, regardless whether the economy is in a boom or a recession.

where do you draw the line? you now drive a genesis, but wait! the poor neighbours in your area drive camrys and accords. oh! to show off like that! gotta downgrade to a camry or accord now with luxury package. but wait! lots of people drive drive cheap american cars, i guess i need to do the same! but wait! lots of people go transit because they can't afford to buy a car, so i guess i have to take the bus to work!

sorry for the rant, but everytime i hear stories about people downgrading due to (psychological) fear of wealth, it just p*sses me off!

ok, as you were.
Old 04-15-09, 03:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Those AIG executives who got unbelievable bonuses for screwing up the company should be top candidates for the Genesis sedan
Old 04-15-09, 04:41 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

The whole Aston Martin to Genesis thing sounds shady to me, I'm sure technically the CEO is telling the truth but I'm taking it in the same vain as when Clinton said "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" with a whole bunch of technicalities involved, for all we know the guy traded in a shell.

Good psychological marketing tactics by Hyundai though as most people probably don't think twice about it and automatically assume this guy is talking about recent MY Aston Martin, 7's and S's etc etc and are thinking "Damn, the car is that good?"
Old 04-15-09, 04:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's a good marketing piece.

if they keep telling the public that wealthy people are buying the genesis, maybe that will get more wealthy people to buy it.

what else can they do? The consumer that usually buys the $25k car isn't gonna move up to the Genesis. So that only leaves the richer people.
Old 04-15-09, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Those AIG executives who got unbelievable bonuses for screwing up the company should be top candidates for the Genesis sedan
Why? They probably could care less. They most likely have chauffer-driven limos.
Old 04-15-09, 05:25 PM
06TLDude
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In March, Hyundai sold 1,626 Genesis in North America.

YTD thru March, 3,946 (about 1,300 per month avg.).

Not a game changer yet, but a decent number of cars I guess, considering the state of the economy.
Those numbers are pretty low considering the hyping of the Genesis sedan. So far I consider the Genesis sedan a flop. This isn’t to say it isn’t a good car, but consumers don’t want to pay premium for a Hyundai and their not (look at the numbers).
Old 04-15-09, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06TLDude
Those numbers are pretty low considering the hyping of the Genesis sedan. So far I consider the Genesis sedan a flop. This isn’t to say it isn’t a good car, but consumers don’t want to pay premium for a Hyundai and their not (look at the numbers).
The economy also plays a big part. It's not just the car. It will be interesting, though, to see what happens to the Genesis numbers after Hyundai's new policy of covering for potential job losses and payment default is given some more time.

(Ford, BTW, has announced a more-or-less similiar plan)
Old 04-15-09, 07:12 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

They keep talking about this car, yet my friend at a Hyundai store has had the same Genesis on his lot for almost 5 months, and they are refusing more allocations from Hyundai because they can't sell the ones they have.

I have yet to see one on the road, and I notice cars.

Quick Reply: Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis