Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 07:14 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would never buy one because I am just not a big fan of Korean cars.
Old 04-15-09, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kyang91
I personally would never buy one because I am just not a big fan of Korean cars.
Old 04-15-09, 08:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If hyundai plays its card right in 20 years it mat not be considered a "downshift". Lexus did it.
Old 04-16-09, 06:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Those AIG executives who got unbelievable bonuses for screwing up the company should be top candidates for the Genesis sedan
Genesis is too good for them. I'm thinking an Acura. TSX maybe

Old 04-16-09, 06:54 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The genesis is not there yet, but give em 5 to 10 yr.s & they will be right up there with the leaders. I have driven the sedan & it was impressive with alot V-8 goodness. I would get the Genesis sedan it's cheap.
Old 04-16-09, 07:20 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PAULGS430
The genesis is not there yet, but give em 5 to 10 yr.s & they will be right up there with the leaders. I have driven the sedan & it was impressive with alot V-8 goodness. I would get the Genesis sedan it's cheap.
At the rate Hyundai is advancing I bet they'll get there a lot sooner than that.
Old 04-16-09, 08:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree, maybe another 3 to 5 years or so. What Hyundai really need is a luxury divsion. How many of you would buy a Toyota GS450h or a Toyota LS460. Branding is sometimes more inportant than the product itself. How many of these rich folks are willing to wait in line at the Hyundai dealer with the Kia owners?
Old 04-16-09, 08:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis
By Steve Finlay

WardsAuto.com, Apr 14, 2009 8:45 AM

NEW YORK – Conspicuous consumption has taken a back seat during these hard times, and an apparent beneficiary of that is the Hyundai Genesis, introduced last year as an affordable upscale sedan.

Starting at $32,250, it has drawn buyers who until recently might have opted for more costly prestige cars, such as the Mercedes-Benz S-Class (stickered at $89,350 and up), says John Krafcik, president and CEO of Hyundai Motor America.

Such a downshifting in consumer preferences may be tied to today’s public disdain of perceived excesses, from Wall Street bonuses to corporate jets. If there’s a time for flaunting it, it’s not now.

So, the Genesis becomes an understated luxury for many affluent consumers who want to avoid overt displays of extravagance and status, Krafcik says.

“A huge number of Genesis buyers are coming from premium brands,” he says at the auto show here, where Hyundai unveils its Nuvis concept cross/utility vehicle. It also displays the Equus, a costlier car than the Genesis, but only sold in South Korea, Hyundai’s homeland. Ward’s has reported Hyundai hopes to sell the Equus in the U.S. in about two years.

A lot of people, who a year ago strove for prestige brands, now want to be less conspicuous, less ostentatious,” he says.

Speaking to journalists, Krafcik cites a hypothetical example of an executive at a financially ailing newspaper choosing not to lease another BMW 7-Series while staffers are making sacrifices to keep the publication afloat.
Hyundai Genesis conquests premium buyers.

He tells of an Aston Martin owner who traded in that ultra-luxury vehicle for a Genesis at a Carlsbad, CA, dealership. “I think it’s a bit of reverse social stigma,” Krafcik says.

There are previous cases of that in automotive history, such as how early Buicks got nicknamed “the doctor’s car.”

Back when physicians made house calls, many of them shunned driving Cadillacs, General Motors Corp.’s top-line car, lest arriving in one would elicit clucks from bill-paying patients. Instead, doctors drove GM’s next-best make: Buick. It offered nearly as many accouterments as Cadillac, minus the high-brow image.

Since the vehicle went on sale last June, Hyundai has sold 6,167 units in 2008 and 3,945 units in the first three months of 2009, according to Ward’s data. Its market share in the lower luxury-passenger car market has climbed to 3.57%.

Along the way, the car has garnered various awards. It was named North American Car of the Year at the Detroit auto show. Its V-8 is one of Ward’s 10 Best Engines for 2009.

Genesis has buffed up the overall Hyundai brand, which in the U.S. once was strictly entry-level and a dubious player at that. There’s the story of a Hyundai salesman who, on a demo drive with a customer in an ’86 Excel, had to turn off the air conditioner to conserve enough power to get up a hill.

Ninety-two percent of Genesis shoppers never considered a Hyundai until the Genesis, Krafcik says. “Seventy percent of Genesis owners never owned a Hyundai. So those are all conquest buyers.”

http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/luxury_...nshift_090414/
Sorry--I'm not buying this marketing effort. He cites to ONE "real" example of an AM owner, and one "hypothetical" (read: not real) example of a 7 Series owner, and suddenly a "huge number" of people are dumping $70-80K+ autos for a Genesis? I highly doubt it.

It's a nice car, and I'm willing to bet they get a lot of people considering lower end lux models and fully loaded family sedans as conquest customers. But droves of S-Class shoppers flocking to Hyundai? Pure fiction.
Old 04-16-09, 10:23 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its the perfect car for these times. Most all the luxury of Tier 1 brands without the badge.
This can be "spun" though as maybe 1 S-class got traded in and they are acting like dozens have been traded in We don't know the numbers.

Having driven it recently, I was very impressed. I mean a Hyundai? Amazing effort.

Oh I'm back so lmfao that Acura can't figure this out buy Hyundai can
At some point every day I try to "pulverize" my Sonata, but it just laughs at me, runs great in the snow, transports kids, friends, and clients, and gets a legitimate 28+mpg at 75 mph... why the hell am I getting rid of this car again???

Oh yeah, it's not quite a sports sedan
Old 04-16-09, 10:42 AM
LexFather

^^^ Sonata is a great daily/family car. Doesn't need to be sporty. Hell most cars don't.
Genesis coupe can be

Old 04-16-09, 10:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, maybe another 3 to 5 years or so. What Hyundai really need is a luxury divsion. How many of you would buy a Toyota GS450h or a Toyota LS460. Branding is sometimes more inportant than the product itself. How many of these rich folks are willing to wait in line at the Hyundai dealer with the Kia owners?
I would buy a Toyota luxury car like a Toyota LS460 or some nice rwd Japanese only Toyota luxury car like a Crown if I liked the car and especially if I can save money and not pay a bunch extra just for a badge on the rear. I buy cars based on the merits of the actual car and quality/reliability reputation of the vehicle not because of the badge. I would certainly buy my GS430 if it was a Toyota and would not care if it did not say Lexus on the back because I wanted a GS430, not a Lexus when I decided to buy it, I tell many people especially girls I think may be gold diggers that I drive a Toyota anyways which is pretty much true.

This whole the Genesis needs a fancy different badge or luxury division in order for me to like it or purchase it or justify spending a little extra money on is kind of sad with how people mostly in the US need that fancy badge to convince them to spend extra and the badge seems even more important then the actual car. That badge/prestige attitude is the main reason why the NSX never sold that well even though it was a better car then its competition and why the Supra/300ZX/RX-7/3000GT never sold that well either and led to the death of those cars. It is why Lexus/Acura/Infiniti hold back on many more upscale cars and v10/v12 engines in the US because of this whole badge thing many in the US are so obsessed with and they know 65K+ cars are not going to sell in big numbers compared to Merc/BMW/Bently/Ferrari no matter how good because people start caring more about image and badge at those prices.

If Hyundai sells the Genesis sedan under a luxury nameplate then you can tack on about 10K or more to the price of the exact same car because that is exactly what is going to happen and the Genesis will not seem as great a deal/car anymore at those prices even if it has a nicer badge. If the GTR was sold as an Infiniti then it would be priced in the mid 80's to 90's for the same car. I am certainly not one of those people who wants to pay 10K-20K extra for the same exact car just because of the badge on the back and a nicer dealership, I choose cars to where I hope I spend as little time possible at the dealership anyway and I am not really into paying extra just to wait in a fancier dealership.

Now if Hyundai were to sell a 70-90K ultra lux sedan/coupe or exotic sports
car then a higher end brand would be more justified at those prices but I don't really see the need for a higher end brand to sell sedans in the 30's and 40's and a sporty coupe in the 20's to low 30's and those prices for the same exact car are going to go up significantly if they are sold under a nicer brand. Even if Hyundai started a upscale brand for expensive lux cars and sports cars they would still have trouble selling them at first with this whole brand/image obsession no matter how good they were.

Last edited by UDel; 04-16-09 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 10:54 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I saw my first one parked at work today and had to do a double take, I thought it was a Lexus. They absolutley nailed it.
Old 04-16-09, 11:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
Sorry--I'm not buying this marketing effort. He cites to ONE "real" example of an AM owner, and one "hypothetical" (read: not real) example of a 7 Series owner, and suddenly a "huge number" of people are dumping $70-80K+ autos for a Genesis? I highly doubt it.

It's a nice car, and I'm willing to bet they get a lot of people considering lower end lux models and fully loaded family sedans as conquest customers. But droves of S-Class shoppers flocking to Hyundai? Pure fiction.
I agree. The competition in the same price range of the Genesis should be the ones that are concerned the most.
Old 04-16-09, 11:01 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If hyundai plays its card right in 20 years it mat not be considered a "downshift". Lexus did it.
Apples to oranges, Lexus is a separate brand.

The creation of a luxury marque is like a rite of passage into the luxury market and even then nothing is guaranteed, and until then many people including I will be unable to consider it a serious luxury contender.

Last edited by JKA.nyc; 04-16-09 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-16-09, 11:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Poeple laugh at Lexus too when they 1st came out, they say its nothing more than a Toyota with leather seat or Lexus is a MB or BMW want to be. The Gensiss is a good start, Hyundai need to continue with the luxury brand comittment. One day people will take a Luxury Hyundai sedan seriously.

Quick Reply: Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis