Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-09, 03:17 PM
LexFather

Guys, again, you can't just throw out sales numbers. Some cars have more production capacity/sales goals and meant to sell more.

Old 04-18-09, 04:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys, again, you can't just throw out sales numbers. Some cars have more production capacity/sales goals and meant to sell more.
Agreed, and more fleet sales at low or zero profit margins (athough those days of using capacity this way might be numbered).
Old 04-18-09, 05:07 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This new Genesis is outstanding. I saw the new coupe and it looked awesome. What hyundai is actually doing is the begining of an emerging brand. Eventually you will see Hyundai/KIA/Genesis...just like Toyota/Scion/Lexus....or others.

Eventually the Genesis name will actually be a brand and not just a model.
Old 04-18-09, 05:40 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pagemaster
When that day comes I'll be proud to own one if the price is right.
Old 04-18-09, 06:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
I went to the car show today and got to look at the Genesis the sad part is when I sat in the drivers seat I sat there with my head bent over. I had no head room at all. I darn near had to be extricated bend my head way over and down to get out. They totally forgot headroom in it and I am just over 6 foot tall.
ok, i looked it up:

lexus gs front headroom: 37.8
http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/detai.../%20Dimensions

lexus ls front headroom: 38.0
http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/detai.../%20Dimensions

lexus lx570 (massive SUV) front headroom: 38.3
http://www.lexus.com/models/LX/detai.../%20Dimensions

hyundai genesis front headroom: 40.4
http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-...specifications

either you had the seat back upright, you were sitting on something, or the seat WAS adjusted way higher than normal, because as you can see the genesis has more headroom than lexus GS or LS.

Old 04-20-09, 07:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

they are getting serious.
Attached Thumbnails Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis-2010_hyundai_equus_main630-0418.jpg  
Old 04-20-09, 11:42 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
That car looks great on the road. You can't beet the price and 10 year warranty!!! Looks like a Mercedes in the front and newer Lexus LS rear. Nice interior I have to add.
I'd say the rear is more like BMW.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
...although the latest Sonata and Genesis Coupe (not the sedan) show some signs of a slight cheapening of interior materials (like some other automakers).
Interesting, considering the 2009 Sonata has a better interior than the Camry.

As for the GenCoupe, I agree that the quality of the materials isn't the greatest (but the design is handsome), but what do you expect for a model that starts at $22k?

Otoh, the G35 had a pretty chinzy interior for a couple of years and Infiniti was charging over $30k.

The Excel, BTW, was not a Hyundai design. It, and the 2-door Scoupe (remember the Scoupe, Mike, were a rebadged Mitsubishi Precis. Hyundai, in the American market, did not even sell their own engines until well into the 1990's....they used Mitsubishi powerplants.
Much of the bad reputation that Hyundai started w/ was due to crappy Mitsu engines and drivetrains.

Originally Posted by 06TLDude
Those numbers are pretty low considering the hyping of the Genesis sedan. So far I consider the Genesis sedan a flop. This isn’t to say it isn’t a good car, but consumers don’t want to pay premium for a Hyundai and their not (look at the numbers).
With regard to import luxury autos in its class, the Genesis now outsells all (including the M) except for the E Class and 5 Series.

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, maybe another 3 to 5 years or so. What Hyundai really need is a luxury divsion. How many of you would buy a Toyota GS450h or a Toyota LS460. Branding is sometimes more inportant than the product itself. How many of these rich folks are willing to wait in line at the Hyundai dealer with the Kia owners?
Ultimately, in order to fully have access to US "luxury buyers" (and not just the more prudent ones), Hyundai will have to spin off the Genesis as a separate brand, but it just wasn't economically prudent to spend a billion and a half to launch a new prestige brand on just the Genesis sedan and coupe.

Hyundai would not only need the flagship Equus, but also an entry level (supposedly, there is a 3 Series fighter in the works) model as well as at least one crossover/SUV in order to justify the investment.

Originally Posted by UDel
This whole the Genesis needs a fancy different badge or luxury division in order for me to like it or purchase it or justify spending a little extra money on is kind of sad with how people mostly in the US need that fancy badge to convince them to spend extra and the badge seems even more important then the actual car.

If Hyundai sells the Genesis sedan under a luxury nameplate then you can tack on about 10K or more to the price of the exact same car because that is exactly what is going to happen and the Genesis will not seem as great a deal/car anymore at those prices even if it has a nicer badge. I am certainly not one of those people who wants to pay 10K-20K extra for the same exact car just because of the badge on the back and a nicer dealership, I choose cars to where I hope I spend as little time possible at the dealership anyway and I am not really into paying extra just to wait in a fancier dealership.

Now if Hyundai were to sell a 70-90K ultra lux sedan/coupe or exotic sports
car then a higher end brand would be more justified at those prices but I don't really see the need for a higher end brand to sell sedans in the 30's and 40's and a sporty coupe in the 20's to low 30's and those prices for the same exact car are going to go up significantly if they are sold under a nicer brand. Even if Hyundai started a upscale brand for expensive lux cars and sports cars they would still have trouble selling them at first with this whole brand/image obsession no matter how good they were.
Pretty much sums up what I think as well.

The imaginary world where "badges don't matter" is just that imaginary.

You think here is bad???? Go to Europe or Japan or Asia where BRANDS are where its at. In Europe they bash cars in reviews just because of badge.
Actually, in Europe and Asia - brand image doesn't matter as much - which is why Infiniti and Acura don't exist in Japan, as well as Lexus until a few years ago and why Mercedes sells the econobox A and B Classes alongside the S Class (as well as the E Class being a popular taxi vehicle).

Its possible maybe Hyundai's marketing team decided the world is not ready for a Korean luxury brand. I have no idea.
It just wasn't worth the investment for the Genesis sedan and coupe - need more models to warrant such an investment as well as support a new dealer network.

Also, the condition wasn't right for a prestige brand from Hyundai - Hyundai needs to lift its image closer to Toyota/Honda before launching a luxury-make and the Genesis plays a role in that (as well as the next gen Sonata, etc.).

Originally Posted by speedflex
If they do bring the Equus over to the states will it be a Hyundai or will it be the flagship of a new luxury arm?
Hyundai pretty much stated that if they do bring the Equus to the States, that it would be under a spun-off Genesis moniker.

Originally Posted by kalvano
And no matter how good the car they produce is, the depreciation hit on Hyundai / Kia is massive because of the badge they wear.
Putting aside the fact that depreciation is calculated from MSRP and not the actual price paid, the depreciation on Hyundai's newer and higher-priced models have improved steadily over the years.

When I think of a Hyundai, I still can picture the Hyundai Excel from years ago I had in college. Hyundai need to get rid of that image and start over with a different brand name for the luxury division. If they do not , that means Hyundai is either not serious about competing in the luxury car market or they have already given up.
More luxury models from Hyundai will warrant a separate lux division.

But remember, what you think of Hyundai will not necessarily be what the younger generation thinks.

There are still people in their 70s who would never think of buying a Japanese auto due to what they saw during the 1960s-early 1970s, just as there are those who scoff at the thought of a luxury VW - but younger folk who have experienced something diff. have no problem spending $65k on a Toyota Land Cruiser or close to $40k on a VW Passat CC.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
To know how good of a job Hyundai is doing in terms of image and perception, we may have to ask our kids, or the current generation HS age buyers. It will take years for Hyundai to gain their base loyal buyers of their higher end cars. We know the Hyundai of the past, so it may be hard for us to let go. My son who will be 6, or my nieces and nephews don't have a clue what cars were out in the late 80s to mid 90s and they only know Hyundai today. When I was in HS in the late 80s I wouldn't be caught dead in a rebadged Lexus ES250 or an old mans car LS400. Today I drive a GS430. Perceptions change over time, and its going to take more than the first offering from Hyundai with the Genesis to convince people. I think the Genesis is one heck of a great car for a first attempted and it opened my eyes.
Exactly.

Tho if Hyundai wants to offer more luxury models, esp. higher end vehicles, it would be prudent for Hyundai to offer a separate lux nameplate due to the peculiarities of the US auto market.

That is what killed the VW Phaeton in the American market. VW offered a great luxury car at a relatively bargain price, considering what you got.
The Phaeton starting at $66,700 and going over $100k was no "bargain "- that was its downfall.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Speaking of Genesis and Lucerne here are some interesting sales numbers. Total sales thru March:

6,420 Lucerne
4,597 MKS (just for comparison)
3,945 Genesis
Can't really compare the domestics to imports - in the same vein the M, the GS, etc. look comparatively worse.

Last edited by YEH; 04-20-09 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-21-09, 12:30 AM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
This is what I've been trying to say since forever in that other Hyundai thread way back but the Hyundai trolls refuse to accept it!!!!
Uhh, I seem to recall the "debate" was over whether the Genesis was a "luxury" vehicle, not whether it was more prudent to have a separate luxury nameplate for the US market.

Aside from the fact that Infiniti and Acura don't exist in Japan, as did Lexus until a few years ago, the Toyota Crown Majesta was classed even higher than the Toyota Celsior (aka the LS) and Japanese royal family ride in a "lowly" Toyota instead of a Lexus (the Toyota Century Royal).

I also seem to recall many posters here stating that it was silly to think that the Land Cruiser wasn't a luxury vehicle simply b/c it was a Toyota (esp. considering that it carries a $65k price-tag) and that the Lexus LX, basically a rebadged Land Cruiser, was "luxury" simply b/c it had a different nameplate.

In addition, Mercedes manufactures the econobox A and B Classes - are they "luxury" vehicles simply b/c they carry the Mercedes nameplate?

In this imaginary world where badge doesn't matter, I'm sure there's peace on earth, food for everyone, no disease, pain or suffering etc etc you get the idea.
It's not imaginary in Asia or Europe and again, the nameplate has little bearing on the actual quality/merits of the product.

Also, no one is arguing that the US market, for optimal sales and success, requires a luxury nameplate, but automakers have been able to have successes w/ one 'halo" model (Chevy w/ the Corvette, VW w/ the Passat CC, likely Nissan w/ the GT-R, etc.) and it just simply wasn't prudent for Hyundai to invest a billion and a half to start a new prestige nameplate based on just the Genesis sedan and coupe.

in a world where badge/branding didn't matter there would be no need for any differentiation between anything from clothes to food to electronics. therefore there would be no need for different brands and everything would be produced by one producer and we'd all consume the exact same things, and therefore there would be no need for people to be paid differently if we bought all the exact same things priced the same and so on and so forth and all this sounds a little like communism doesn't it?
Branding often has little to do w/ the actual quality of the product (it's amazing what marketing can do).

For instance, a few decades ago, Rolex and Omega were seen as being much closer whereby the Rolex Submariner and the Omega Seamaster were not that different in price (in terms of quality, the Sub is better in some respects and the Seamaster in others - so it's basically a draw).

Nowadays, due to better marketing and a strict price control, the Sub is close to being twice as much as the Seamaster.

Along the same lines, most people (aside from watch aficianados) would ooh and aah at a Rolex watch and draw blank stares at a Patek Philippe, Jaeger-LeCoultre or a Vacheron Constantin.

Along the same lines most people (due to the all the $$ spent on marketing) would ooh and aah at a Bose sound system, while thinking that JBL was just run of the mill - nevermind that pretty much all audiophiles would scoff at a Bose system and wouldn't mind having the top of the line JBL floorstanders (which run $20k) in their listening room.
Old 04-21-09, 04:52 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

In my opinion, Hyundai havent really done a very good job as far as branding or changing people's mind about their perception of the brand.
In my opinion, and, I'm sure to many members, here, Hyundai has made amazing strides in changing their brand perception. I would go as far to say that, nearly no other car company in existence today, did what Hyundai has done for their brand perception. Think about this. Club Lexus is an enthusiasts site for Lexus owners. Who would have thought that Hyundai could have changed the perceptions of a bunch of discerning Lexus owners? That says a lot. When I see where they were 25 years ago, and where they are today, *NO* other car company has impressed me more than Hyundai.
Old 04-21-09, 08:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Thats actually a pretty catchy name for a luxury division, I wonder if thats the direction Hyundai is heading toward.
Old 04-21-09, 08:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350jet
In my opinion, and, I'm sure to many members, here, Hyundai has made amazing strides in changing their brand perception. I would go as far to say that, nearly no other car company in existence today, did what Hyundai has done for their brand perception. Think about this. Club Lexus is an enthusiasts site for Lexus owners. Who would have thought that Hyundai could have changed the perceptions of a bunch of discerning Lexus owners? That says a lot. When I see where they were 25 years ago, and where they are today, *NO* other car company has impressed me more than Hyundai.
I agree. They really have done an incredible job so quickly. Just think that the Genesis has things that Infiniti/Acura don't offer. Thats nuts!

Originally Posted by 06TLDude
Those numbers are pretty low considering the hyping of the Genesis sedan. So far I consider the Genesis sedan a flop. This isn’t to say it isn’t a good car, but consumers don’t want to pay premium for a Hyundai and their not (look at the numbers).
lol, so full of fail, but not surprising as I've noticed the logic of owners are serverly lacking.

The Genesis sedan sales goal is between 20k a year with them expecting to sell 30k coupes a year, its not a very high volume car. Sales have been around 1k-1,500 a month so they are close. Consumers don't want to pay a premium for an Acura as the RL has flopped since 1996.

Hyundai is doing a better job of selling a "flagship" than Acura ever will. lol.

Old 04-21-09, 11:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The RL is a victim of Acura's terrible marketing department. The RL itself is a great car, very well put together and using nice material. The design have be dated for years and Acura havent really done much to it with except maybe a face lift. The V6 engine is powerful enough, but it should have an optional V8 like Genesis. Overall, I am pretty disappointed at all the current Acuras.
Old 04-21-09, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=YEH;4454615]

Interesting, considering the 2009 Sonata has a better interior than the Camry.

[QUOTE]

Yes, on the surface, the interior LOOKS better than the Camry's (and, to an extent, it IS better), but compared to the 2008 Sonata you can (or I could, at least) detect some thinner, cheaper materials and trim.

As for the GenCoupe, I agree that the quality of the materials isn't the greatest (but the design is handsome), but what do you expect for a model that starts at $22k?
As I said in my review of 3.8L Track model a while ago, it was obvious that Hyundai foresook some money inside the car to produce a superb powertrain and chassis......virtually the equal of many BMWs I've driven.

The Phaeton starting at $66,700 and going over $100k was no "bargain "- that was its downfall.
That's where I disagree. Take a look at what a BMW or Mercedes V-12 sedan costs, and compare it to what VW was asking for an equivalent Phaeton, and you'd save probably 30-40K.....even more in some cases.

What was its downfall was not the price, but potential V-12 buyers acting like this, and not going into VW showrooms:

Old 04-21-09, 12:17 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

My 16 year old nephew thinks the Genesis Coupe is cool. That means that Hyundai's marketing is doing something right.

Hyundai has a lot of cards stacked against it and is doing a pretty good job of digging themselves out of the hole they sank into. A applaud them for doing such a good job and really taking necessary risks to try to differentiate themselves from their past.
Old 04-21-09, 12:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=mmarshall;4456088]
Originally Posted by YEH

That's where I disagree. Take a look at what a BMW or Mercedes V-12 sedan costs, and compare it to what VW was asking for an equivalent Phaeton, and you'd save probably 30-40K.....even more in some cases.

What was its downfall was not the price, but potential V-12 buyers acting like this, and not going into VW showrooms:

Even if I somewhat agree, since very few of us shop in that league it really doesn't matter. The $30-$40K savings is lost in depreciation in 3 years on the VW. Financially strong 7-series and S-class buyers weren't cross-shopping VW and still are not today.

Quick Reply: Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis