Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 07:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

[QUOTE=IS-SV;4456161]
Originally Posted by mmarshall

Even if I somewhat agree, since very few of us shop in that league it really doesn't matter. The $30-$40K savings is lost in depreciation in 3 years on the VW. Financially strong 7-series and S-class buyers weren't cross-shopping VW and still are not today.
Yeah, but you can say the same thing about the Genesis. Its cheaper to buy, but you get less back when you sell.
Old 04-22-09, 08:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH
Actually, in Europe and Asia - brand image doesn't matter as much - which is why Infiniti and Acura don't exist in Japan, as well as Lexus until a few years ago and why Mercedes sells the econobox A and B Classes alongside the S Class (as well as the E Class being a popular taxi vehicle).
Actually 1SICK is right, you are only talking about the Japan home market where they make these Japanese cars & have a tradition there.
Elsewhere in Asia, particularly S.E. Asia, where I and some of my friends are originally from, they are the worst brand wh0res in the world. Many buy luxury cars there for the name plate alone, & they WANT to buy them BECAUSE THEY ARE MORE EXPENSIVE.

In Europe, even though the A and B class are econoboxes, they are still regarded as more upscale than their counterparts from other brands, & they NEED to build small cars there because of the demand in that market, which is quite different from USA.
Old 04-22-09, 09:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=The G Man;4458464]
Originally Posted by IS-SV

Yeah, but you can say the same thing about the Genesis. Its cheaper to buy, but you get less back when you sell.
Not really, unless your are saying that all cars depreciate. That's still to be determined (there is no history so far). And it's not trying to sell for $65K+.
Old 04-22-09, 10:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Actually 1SICK is right, you are only talking about the Japan home market where they make these Japanese cars & have a tradition there.
Elsewhere in Asia, particularly S.E. Asia, where I and some of my friends are originally from, they are the worst brand wh0res in the world. Many buy luxury cars there for the name plate alone, & they WANT to buy them BECAUSE THEY ARE MORE EXPENSIVE.

In Europe, even though the A and B class are econoboxes, they are still regarded as more upscale than their counterparts from other brands, & they NEED to build small cars there because of the demand in that market, which is quite different from USA.
amen. in most asian countries, driving bmw or mb is the "bomb", it's very clear and that's been the case for years even now. name plate and brand means A LOT
Old 04-22-09, 10:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Well Asian people are very materialistic to start with especially my wife
Old 04-22-09, 12:56 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's where I disagree. Take a look at what a BMW or Mercedes V-12 sedan costs, and compare it to what VW was asking for an equivalent Phaeton, and you'd save probably 30-40K.....even more in some cases.
The $30k difference is w/ a V-12 S Class today.

The difference in price btwn a 2006 V-12 Phaeton and a 2006 760i was only about $10k and the difference in price for the V-8 versions was considerably less (esp. in comparison to the A8).

It's not only Japan, but SKorea as well where they have a fairly developed auto industry - Hyundai w/ the Equus and Genesis, Renault Samsung w/ the SM7 and Ssangyong w/ the Chairman.

As for SE Asia, it's not like any of those countries have an auto manufacturer that produces "luxury" models.

And yet, despite being from a more "desirable" brand, the Mercedes A and B Class haven't exactly been bestsellers in Europe.

Originally Posted by rominl
amen. in most asian countries, driving bmw or mb is the "bomb", it's very clear and that's been the case for years even now. name plate and brand means A LOT
That's no different from the US.

My point isn't that the Asian market doesn't like BMWs and Mercedes (who doesn't?), but rather that people in Japan and SKorea have no problem driving a "luxury" car from Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Samsung, etc. since they are seen as "full-line" manufacturers (think of them as GM w/o the sub-brands of Caddy, Buick, Chevy, etc.).

Originally Posted by The G Man
Well Asian people are very materialistic to start with especially my wife.
That's just your wife.

Really, Asians are no more/no less "materialistic" than any other people.

Last edited by YEH; 04-22-09 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-22-09, 01:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH
<ducking>
Old 04-22-09, 03:06 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH

Got that right. Otherwise, I would've kept my dad's 79 chevette or upgrade to a hyundai instead
Old 04-22-09, 03:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
Exactly. That is why Benz/BMW/Lexus etc want to get into China/Asia so BADLY, b/c of their images of success elsewhere that people want to be associated with. There continues to be a growing class of buyers there that are more than willing to pay the $$$$$$$ for what they regard as "better".

The same is going on in Russia.

Back to Asia, lets not forget they get long wheelbase 5/A6 etc there as well to "fit" that class from a prestige/price standpoint.

Old 04-22-09, 06:24 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm seeing at least 1 genesis per day. i'm pleasantly surprised every time i see one.
Old 04-23-09, 06:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I have seen 1 Genesis so far on the road here in New England, maybe the lack of a AWD option is killing sales here.
Old 04-23-09, 07:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a few (Genesis sedans) on the road in northern California.
Old 04-23-09, 08:29 AM
LexFather

I've seen a few Genesis's here, all driven by much older people. I wonder what demographics are buying the car?

Have yet to see a coupe but I can't wait

Old 04-23-09, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

in my small town i see one once a week at least, which is surprising. maybe it's the same one.

but i ALWAYS think "that looks GREAT" when it's headed toward me.
Old 04-23-09, 10:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've seen a few Genesis's here, all driven by much older people. I wonder what demographics are buying the car?

Have yet to see a coupe but I can't wait
That would be interesting to know. JD Power used to have demographic info for most models on their web site, but I don't think it's there any more.

Quick Reply: Some Luxury Buyers Downshift to Hyundai Genesis