Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fiat to UAW: Accept pay cuts or no Chrysler deal.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 11:07 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good lord, mmarshall, I know that the loan is used for all their expenses and they should cut down the cost on EVERYTHING possible. For example, the management salaries should be cut tremedously since clearly they weren't doing a very good job running the company.

Yes I agree that UAW is not all the problem but one can't deny that it's a pretty big chunck of the problem.

The bottom line is that they are overpaid.
Old 04-21-09, 11:22 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i haven't had time to read the whole thread, but my two cents...

the UAW problem is that all their rules, and retirement benefits cripple any automaker. yes, somehow the big 3 have made profits during boom times despite all the shackles on them, but the party's over. their obligations to long time employees and especially retirees are so huge that there's no way chryco can survive. besides the uaw ball and chain, the govt loans will also be the kiss of death to both chrysler and gm who cannot pay them back.
This man hit the nail on the head... :Legacy costs are unbearable. I live and work in this world and this is what brings companies down...
Old 04-21-09, 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Good lord, mmarshall, I know that the loan is used for all their expenses and they should cut down the cost on EVERYTHING possible. For example, the management salaries should be cut tremedously since clearly they weren't doing a very good job running the company.

Yes I agree that UAW is not all the problem but one can't deny that it's a pretty big chunck of the problem.
OK....we'll consider the UAW argument settled, with some agreement and some disagreement. But there are some other things, as I see it, that you DON'T want to cut costs on either. One thing is in the cars themselves. El Cheapo interiors and dull-plastic materials were one of the things that got domestic manufacturers into trouble in the past, and turned off customers (some of the Japanese auto firms, ironically, are starting to make that same mistake now). When you had, not long ago, $40,000 Buick Park Avenues and Cadillacs with essentially Chevy Cavalier-grade plastics inside, that is a situation that simply could not continue.
Old 04-22-09, 07:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, if those CEOs and the UAW workers didnt make so much money, they can afford to put in better ineriors