Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: what is the most appealing econo box
KIA soul
57.58%
Scion Xb
24.24%
Nissan Cube
18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

KIA soul VS Scion Xb VS Nissan Cube

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 09:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the bigger/fatter/more substantial/safer new XB, it's my preference in this class of vehicle.
Old 04-17-09, 09:25 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Here's a good comparison.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
Old 04-17-09, 07:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I lost all respect for the the xB when it got bigger and fatter.....not to mention the xB completely lost it uniqueness.

I'd take the Kia or Cube over it any day
The Scion only lost its uniqueness because it was so popular that every brand had to release a me too version. The new scion XB look bad *** with a drop and a nice set of wheels
Old 04-17-09, 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

All three of them, IMO, are fugly, style-wise, but there is no denying the box-like space efficiency each one offers for passenger and cargo room inside. All three of them (and the Honda Fit) would be a nice consideration for those who want maximum interior space with minimum outside dimensions, especially the Soul and Cube, since the second-generation xB has grown a little larger. Care must be taken with these vehicles, though, that they are not overloaded beyond what the manufacturers rate them to safely carry, because, with so much space inside, it's easy.......and a temptation..... to overstuff them.

If it were my money, I'd probably go with the Soul. It looks slightly less awkward than the two others, has a low price, offers pretty much the same room, and has the longest warranty. It is, though, of course, new and unproved, where you know that the xB and Cube will be reliable. The xB, though, like all Scions, sells for full list (Saturn-like) with no discounts. That, of course, makes the paperwork and deal-making at the dealership much easier for new, first-time buyers and people who don't want to haggle, but it may not guarantee a good (or the lowest) price. The xB also offers the largest engine and the most power if you need to haul things.....like with a handyman's vehicle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-19-09 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-18-09, 09:09 PM
LexFather

1. Soul
2. Cube
3. xB

That is my order.

Old 04-19-09, 02:42 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

after reading articles on the three it seems like the Kia soul is one hell of a car for its class. It gives the scion a run for its money in every category and it is cheaper.

Apparently when read up on the cube its pretty mediocre for its class. It doesnt lead in a single category in any comparison I have read. I am amazed that when car and driver magazine tested the cube they got an average mpg of 22 mpg. My 303 hp GS350 gets 22-24 mixed city and highway. I ave never been impressed by Nissans fuel efficency in any of their cars I have driven . They are great fun to drive, but guzzle gas
Old 04-19-09, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Apparently when read up on the cube its pretty mediocre for its class. It doesnt lead in a single category in any comparison I have read. I am amazed that when car and driver magazine tested the cube they got an average mpg of 22 mpg. My 303 hp GS350 gets 22-24 mixed city and highway.
The Cube's MPG problem might (?) be traced to the problem of its poor aerodynamics, small engine, and the fact that the engine has to have relatively short gearing and work pretty hard to haul it around, especially with the cargo area full. Sometimes putting in a slightly larger engine and using taller gearing to compensate will actually improve fuel economy.

That is one of the things I mentioned in one of my posts above. With the super-roomy cargo areas/space efficiency of these three vehicles, relative to their small exterior dimensions (and, in the case of the Cube and Soul, small engines), it can be easy to overload them.
Old 04-19-09, 05:58 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I choose this....
Old 04-19-09, 06:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Cube's MPG problem might (?) be traced to the problem of its poor aerodynamics, small engine, and the fact that the engine has to have relatively short gearing and work pretty hard to haul it around, especially with the cargo area full. Sometimes putting in a slightly larger engine and using taller gearing to compensate will actually improve fuel economy.

That is one of the things I mentioned in one of my posts above. With the super-roomy cargo areas/space efficiency of these three vehicles, relative to their small exterior dimensions (and, in the case of the Cube and Soul, small engines), it can be easy to overload them.
I wonder what the drag coefficients are for the 3 boxes. I cant imagine that one would be more slippery to the wind than the others, but you never know. The gearing, as you said , can absolutely be the issue. I can imagine for the manufacturer to create a little " spunk" , they could give it gearing that would create more revs, therefore allowing some low to mid range torque without having to drop the gears
Old 06-13-09, 02:04 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

soul denim

damn kia picked up where toyota fell off.
Old 06-13-09, 03:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The hamster commercial is my fav lately.
Old 06-13-09, 10:56 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

1) Soul
2) xB
3) Cube

I like the styling of the Soul and think it is a great attempt by Kia. It's always fun to drive a brand new model. The interior is so funky that it is interesting.

My old GF had the original xB and it was a great car. The new xB is just on appealing to me at all.

The Cube, oh please. I like symentry when it comes to car design. This car looks like it is trying too hard to be different. The bevel edges on the windows look terrible. Sometimes different for difference sake is not good.
Old 06-14-09, 04:56 AM
MarkGS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Kia Soul out of the three mentioned choices. The hamster commercial is a very unique and cool marketing strategy.
Old 06-14-09, 03:30 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The hamster commercial is my fav lately.
Originally Posted by MarkGS400
I like the Kia Soul out of the three mentioned choices. The hamster commercial is a very unique and cool marketing strategy.
Yep, one of very few commercials where it made me want to buy that car
Old 06-15-09, 09:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Yep, one of very few commercials where it made me want to buy that car
Makes me want to buy a hamster.

Quick Reply: KIA soul VS Scion Xb VS Nissan Cube