Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Found cosmetic problems w car after purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 06:44 PM
Susan7639
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found cosmetic problems w car after purchasing

Please forgive me if wrong forum. I purchased a new Lexus last Saturday and did not notice two cosmetic things in the showroom before bringing it home. First the matte black column that runs vertical to the driver's window is very scratched and may have even had touch up paint applied. Secondly there is a small "snag" for lack of a better word in the leather of the front seat. Do I have any hope of them fixing these things? I am sick, this is a expensive car, to me, and I would have thought they would have noticed these things even if I did not. Please help me!
Old 04-16-09, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't necessarly have an answer for you on the seat, but, as for the matte-black damage on the column, there are two possible quick, inexpensive touches you can try before body work or repainting. First, if it is a relatively hard-surface material and appears to be scratched, you can try a bottle of SCRATCH-OUT.

In my area, it runs $2-6 a bottle, depending on where you get it (I pay $1.94 at Wal-Mart). It's good stuff, and will take out a lot of surface scratches imprefections, as long as they are not too deep, though it doesn't work as well on softer or matte-painted surfaces. Rub it on and in with a soft cloth like wax, give it a minute or so to dry a little, and just wipe it off with a soft clean cloth. It has a very mild abrasive that doesn't leave swirl marks.

If SCRATCH-OUT doesn't work or if you aren't happy with the results, you can also get a piece of flat-black auto trim tape (available at many auto-parts stores...TrimBrite makes a good one)

Clean and dry the affected area, cut the tape out in a piece to roughly match the shape of the column, and carefully align and stick it on...press it on as tight as you can. The flat-black color of the tape will not only hide the scratches, but match the original factory matte-black trim color so well that you probably won't notice the difference. That's an old trick I've used on my own cars, and with others, for years.

If you still are not satisfied with these suggestions, or don't want to mess with it yourself, then, of course, you can bargain with the dealeship and/or your insurance company.
Old 04-16-09, 08:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If the car was just purchased they will help you out, especially if its brand new. If its CPO they will still try to make things right. Call your sales guy.

After I bought my GS I noticed a few cosmetic imperfection in the leather and they replaced both door panels . I also had a gap in the wood on the steering wheel and they replaced the entire wheel. Talk tho the sales guy and or the service/sales manager. Its a Lexus, they will take care of you
Old 04-17-09, 04:43 PM
Susan7639
Driver School Candidate

Thanks much for your help. I am going to talk to them tomorrow, wish me luck! I really don't want to be applying touch ups to a $50000 car that is a week old! Yikes!
Old 04-17-09, 04:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If the car was just purchased they will help you out, especially if its brand new. If its CPO they will still try to make things right. Call your sales guy.
I agree based on my personal experience with my Lexus dealership on CPO car recently.
Old 04-17-09, 05:34 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Susan7639
Thanks much for your help. I am going to talk to them tomorrow, wish me luck! I really don't want to be applying touch ups to a $50000 car that is a week old! Yikes!
Yes, that is unacceptable...I would be furious if they refuse to make it right.
Old 04-17-09, 05:41 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think you have to make yourself sick. This car is what, a week old? I doubt any service department is going to claim you made these flaws. Especially Lexus. I have a feeling that Lexus will make you happy. It will probably be more of an issue that would interest us if Lexus doesn't promptly resolve this to your satisfaction.
Old 04-17-09, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Susan7639
Although I outlined some alternatives above in my first post, I agree that the dealership should be the first stop with your complaint....especially with a brand-new Lexus.
Old 04-18-09, 10:56 PM
LexFather

I am sure they will inspect and fix/offer a reasonable solution. Sometimes it might not be getting a small ding painted but maybe a free service or two.

Good luck, happens to all of us

Old 04-19-09, 04:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
I don't think you have to make yourself sick. This car is what, a week old? I doubt any service department is going to claim you made these flaws. Especially Lexus. I have a feeling that Lexus will make you happy. It will probably be more of an issue that would interest us if Lexus doesn't promptly resolve this to your satisfaction.
+1.. Lets see Lexus famed customer satisfaction truly at work.. Keep us posted..
Old 04-20-09, 05:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what happened at the dealership?