Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hybrid Hummer Promises 100 Miles per Gallon

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 07:05 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid Hummer Promises 100 Miles per Gallon

The Hummer is the poster child of excess consumption and inefficiency, but a Utah company is converting the much-maligned SUVs into a range-extended electric vehicle good for 100 mpg and a range of 40 miles.

Raser Technologies will unveil the Raser H3 on Monday in Detroit. It promises a 90 mph top speed, off-road capability and a lithium ion-battery you can recharge in as little as three hours. What's more, the company says the drivetrain can be installed in other trucks and it hopes to have 2,000 converted vehicles on the road by the end of next year.

That's a tall order, and there is no shortage of companies promising us wonder cars with miraculous fuel economy and impressive range. But Raser is taking a different approach. It isn't building a car from scratch like Aptera Motors or Lightning Hybrids. Instead, it's essentially cribbing from the Chevrolet Volt and Fisker Karma to convert existing vehicles with off-the-shelf parts.

"We've taken the worst environmental offender on the road and made it greener than a Prius," David West, the company's vice president of marketing, told Wired.com. "It truly is incredible to see and hear a Hummer that truly hums."

But why start with a Hummer?

Because SUVs are popular but get lousy fuel economy, they're great candidates for electrification, said Jim Spellman, company vice president. Spellman came to Raser from General Motors, where he worked on the Chevrolet Tahoe hybrid.

"SUVs and trucks are the number one selling vehicle in America," he said. "Unlike the Prius, which is a mild hybrid vehicle, an eco-friendly SUV will get people's attention."

Spellman says there are practical reasons as well: Trucks are big enough to package the gasoline engine, electric motor and lithium-ion batteries without radically altering the bodywork or designing an all-new vehicle.

"Unlike the Volt and other hybrid cars we didn't have to build an entire car around the battery packs," Spellman said. "There was plenty of room in the back of the Hummer to install them, and they don't affect the ground clearance of the vehicle."

Raser Technologies has been building electric motors and developing geothermal electric plants since 2003, and Spellman says it started "cutting steel" on the H3 prototype 15 months ago.

The prototype we'll see in Detroit at the Society of Automotive Engineers World Congress on Monday features a series-hybrid drive train similar to the Voltec system in the Chevrolet Volt. Like the Volt, the H3 will be driven solely by electricity. The engine -- the 260-horsepower 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder used in the Pontiac Solstice -- will drive a 100-kilowatt generator to recharge the three lithium-ion battery packs. Fisker Automotive is using the same engine in its Karma range-extended EV.

All together the battery packs have a combined capacity of 40 kilowatt hours and total weight of 600 pounds. Raser claims a recharge time of between 3 and 10 hours, depending upon the voltage of the outlet the batteries are plugged into.

For the sake of comparison, the Volt uses a 16-kWh pack that weighs 375 pounds, while the Tesla Roadster has a 53-kWh pack weighing 992 pounds.

Tying it all together is something Raser calls the Hybrid Master Controller, which is a fancy name for the software that manages the engine, generator, motor and batteries. It was designed by FEV, a hybrid drive train engineering firm that is working on a range-extended EV based on the Dodge Caliber. General Motors provided some expertise along the way, said GM spokesman Kyle Johnson.

"We're well aware of this project," Johnson said. "We helped them with some of the electronics integration and did some consulting."

Getting all the hardware to fit required modifying the Hummer's chassis. The transmission was moved back, the drive shafts altered and the exhaust re-routed. The Raser H3 also has a smaller fuel tank -- 11 gallons instead of 22 -- and it's been moved to make room for the batteries, which are mounted under the vehicle near the rear axle. Despite the mods, Raser says the vehicle doesn't lose any of its off-road utility.

West says production will begin "soon" and the company hopes to have 2,000 vehicles in the form of SUVs and trucks on the road by the end of 2010. He says Pacific Gas & Electric has requested two of them.

No word yet on how the project will be funded or what the vehicle will cost. Raser promises more details when the vehicle is unveiled Monday.

Photos: David West / Raser Technologies. Used with permission.
source: http://blog.wired.com/cars/2009/04/behold-americas.html
Old 04-17-09, 07:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

100mpg , but a 40 mile range??????????? Makes no sense, but neither does a Hummer
Old 04-17-09, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't think that Hummer, at least under the GM umbrella, will last long enough to bring this vehicle out. My guess is that there's a good chance the Hummer Division will be gone by the end of the year (and probably GMC as well), although it is possible that a buyer may be found for Hummer. I wouldn't bet on it, though....even with Raser Technologies, the company that did a lot of the work on the hybrid powertrain. They probably don't have the kind of cash that GM would want for Hummer. Raser would have to borrow the money, which is extremely risky in today's buisness climate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-17-09 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-18-09, 07:54 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
100mpg , but a 40 mile range??????????? Makes no sense, but neither does a Hummer
Meh.. 40 miles is probably a longer range than what current owners get with gasoline cause the tank's never full.
Old 04-18-09, 10:24 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you get it? The gas tank capacity is 4/10ths of a gallon!

But seriously, anyone know what the hell 100mpg/40 mile range means??
Old 04-18-09, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It makes plenty of sense, if you think about it. It shares the same extended-range hybrid system that the upcoming Chevy Volt does. With a full battery charge, and minimum electrical-accessory draw, the Volt can run some 40 miles without the gas engine coming on at all....so there's 40 free MPG with no gas usage all. Then the gas engine only has to run long enough for the alternator to periodically keep the battery charged.....so, under optimum conditions, 100 may indeed be possible.

I agree with you, though, that the Hummer division, like the GMC division, makes little sense overall.....and, as I mentioned in the post above, I'll be surprised if either one still exists a year from now.
Old 04-18-09, 01:52 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It makes plenty of sense, if you think about it. It shares the same extended-range hybrid system that the upcoming Chevy Volt does. With a full battery charge, and minimum electrical-accessory draw, the Volt can run some 40 miles without the gas engine coming on at all....so there's 40 free MPG with no gas usage all. Then the gas engine only has to run long enough for the alternator to periodically keep the battery charged.....so, under optimum conditions, 100 may indeed be possible.

I agree with you, though, that the Hummer division, like the GMC division, makes little sense overall.....and, as I mentioned in the post above, I'll be surprised if either one still exists a year from now.
Down hill, on ice maybe?
Old 04-18-09, 03:16 PM
LexFather

As useful as beer with no alcohol

Old 04-18-09, 06:25 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I could be wrong, but the way I read it is they are referring to the Hummer and not the H2 or H3. The Hummer is made in a military version for the US military and others. I would think that Hummer production, of the military version, would continue somehow.

I'm puzzled by the fairly quick charge times, since the other electric cars take really long with a 20a 120V outlet and are not that quick to charge even with a 30a 220V outlet.