Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

do it your self car wash cost me my new rolex watch

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 02:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
If there isn't a happier outcome, remember to keep that police report and if absolutely nothing else, declare it on next year's tax return as a theft loss. Sure wish there was better advice but like bit said, things can be replaced.
You might have something there, RON. At first, I thought that might be of dubvious honesty, but actually, doing that might not be as dishonest as it sounds up front. The water from the hose probably DID take his watch from him. It would be like if he set the watch down somewhere and a dog took off with it or a car ran over it.
Old 04-21-09, 03:09 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks! Sorry about your loss.

I've come close to doing something similar myself. Now I just leave my watch on all the time unless I'm at home.
Old 04-21-09, 04:08 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

There's nothing the slightest bit dishonest about the deductibility of theft loss. The police report will be a big help. I might also run an ad in the local paper with the reward and have that too. Not saying the IRS would question it but they have to be convinced that you did what you could to try and recover it. After that, it's an itemized deduction.
Old 04-21-09, 04:53 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Why not just get the exact same one you lost, replica style, no one will be able to tell the difference and you can actually show them your original $5000 reciept and official case if proving to everyone how rich you are is important to you:

I've got a perfect replica TAG watch, but I hardly wear it because I just think these days in our new economy its foolish to show off your wealth.

Last edited by toy4two; 04-21-09 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-21-09, 05:40 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

damn.

perfect facepalm scenario.

that's all i can say.

i don't put value in watches. all i have is a broken casio.
i use my cell to tell time.
Old 04-21-09, 05:51 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toy4two
I've got a perfect replica TAG watch, but I hardly wear it because I just think these days in our new economy its foolish to show off your wealth.
Your not "showing off your wealth" if your watch isn't real to begin with. Your just showing (or in your case not showing) that your too cheap to buy a real watch.
Old 04-21-09, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
There's nothing the slightest bit dishonest about the deductibility of theft loss. The police report will be a big help. .
Yes, I agree....but that wasn't quite what I was refering to. I was talking (at first) about claiming theft when it wasn't (or may not have been) outright theft. But, as I indicated, the more I thought about it, the more I became convinced that, as you indicate, it is a legitimate tax deduction either way....it was lost through a matter beyond his control, although, of couse, he was the one who mislaid it.
Old 04-21-09, 06:27 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Damn... that sucks. I always freak out when I take my watch off in class so I don't scratch my computer. I normally put it in the same place, but somedays I put it in a different spot and I freak out... And this is a Citizen... Nothing like a $5000 Rolex. I know that if I found something like that and I noticed it was real, I'd try to find who it belonged too... Karma like that will eventually come back to get you...
Old 04-21-09, 06:30 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Why not just get the exact same one you lost, replica style, no one will be able to tell the difference and you can actually show them your original $5000 reciept and official case if proving to everyone how rich you are is important to you:

Anyone that knows anything about watches will be able to tell the difference... to those that don't know, there is no difference between a Tag and a Casio calculator watch...
Old 04-21-09, 09:45 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some interesting posts in this thread.

To the OP....good luck and best wishes with the more important things in life. You seem to have the right attitude at least...in your difficult times keep in mind that it's only a material thing and you have more pressing matters to attend to.
Old 04-21-09, 10:39 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

I don't have a problem with someone spending their money. If you have it, you've got to spend it on something (like a Lexus SC Pebble Beach Edition). Why not buy something that also makes you happy, like a watch. If you made or received your money the right way, and you can take care of your other responsibilities, then there should be nothing but good feelings about it, especially if you use some of your money or time to help others in need and to help good causes.

My initial reaction was to be critical of the mistake, as many people would be including the OP. That's human nature.

I imagine the thief grabbed the watch and took off without washing his or her car. I would expect the thief to be in a less comfortable financial situation than the OP, so I would not be surprised if they tried to get some money for it. That would do them more good than the watch, unless they want to wear it and deal with the guilt of having to explain away how they got the watch (guilt, if the thief has some conscience).

It's the same as the person who door dings your car, or hits your bumper parallel parking, and then takes off. That's how alot of people are. It's pretty easy to sit at a keyboard and do the right thing.

When I was a student I found $20 on the floor of a drug store. What would you have done with it? Is it the same thing? Age, life experience, financial situation, morals, and value of the item in question (or damage caused) are all factors that people weigh differently. The less you've got of those, the more likely you'd grab the watch and run.

Last edited by Lex Law; 04-21-09 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-21-09, 11:00 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is there so much hate in this thread? Everyone has the right to buy what they want, regardless how outrageous it may seem. Do not forget that it is their hard earned cash. Some of these comments are what I see on the other forums I was a part of. Definitely not cool

OP, I wish you the best of luck in your recovery of your watch. Hopefully it will all be well
Old 04-21-09, 11:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

showing off ?? I am just wearing a nice watch and a diamond wedding ring. I also drive a Lexus. Do we have to be ashamed ???? I don't show off, but at the same time I am not going to stop wearing my watch to work to play like I am struggling
Old 04-22-09, 12:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

ok enough with the debate on watches and haterade.

mrblister had an unfortunate loss of the watch but is also facing some much bigger challenges.
Old 04-22-09, 04:10 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stage3
to those that don't know, there is no difference between a Tag and a Casio calculator watch...
Please post your evidence of this, I'd like to know.
To the OP, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Quick Reply: do it your self car wash cost me my new rolex watch