Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

do it your self car wash cost me my new rolex watch

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09 | 06:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Is a Rolex water proof, why do you need to take the watch off?
Old 04-22-09 | 08:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I agree....but that wasn't quite what I was refering to. I was talking (at first) about claiming theft when it wasn't (or may not have been) outright theft. But, as I indicated, the more I thought about it, the more I became convinced that, as you indicate, it is a legitimate tax deduction either way....it was lost through a matter beyond his control, although, of couse, he was the one who mislaid it.
It wasn't lost--he know exaclty where he put it down. Someone made off with something that they knew wasn't theirs. Losers/keepers only applies ont the playground--the watch was stolen.
Old 04-22-09 | 08:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

A visit to some local pawn shops might turn it up?
Old 04-22-09 | 08:24 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Is a Rolex water proof, why do you need to take the watch off?
Owner was probably just trying to avoid scratching his watch.
Old 04-22-09 | 09:30 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

g man - he probably didn't want to scratch his car. rolex watches are pretty sturdy.

to the OP, i think you should keep an eye out on craigslist to see if anyone is trying to sell your rolex. if it has any unmistakable marks on it - that will really help.

for anyone else who has fine jewelry, i think it's good to document your ownership if not via receipts, then with pictures so if you do plan on claiming it on your taxes as a loss or a "donation", then you've got some grounds.

personally, i would be REALLY heartbroken if I lost one of my watches because one of them was a gift and the other a milestone of personal achievement so i can echo the sorrow of the OP but at the same time, i'm sure there are other watches you had in mind to collect, right?

might as well try to turn this situation around and set your eyes on a new watch to finally own.
Old 04-22-09 | 10:20 AM
RX469
Pole Position

File a police report as mentioned and also post it up on Craigslist hoping someone would return it to you. Good luck.
Old 04-22-09 | 10:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
g man - he probably didn't want to scratch his car. rolex watches are pretty sturdy.
I dont see how you can scratch the car wearing a Rolex while using a power spray nozzle. Those nozzles are like 3 ft long. If I were to take off my Rolex, I would have put inside my car, not on top of the coin operator becuase you can accidentally spray the coin operator and knock the watch to the ground and get it scratch up. I know hind sight is always 20/20, so I will stop now
Sorry for your lost Tex2670
Old 04-22-09 | 10:31 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Sorry for your loss, hopefully someone will try to sell it, and you can find them! Not to thread jack but one time I left my debit card at the bank ATM, walked away, went back like 3 mins later and it was gone, people really have no respect.
Old 04-22-09 | 05:24 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

I have one i spent 10k on and it not that your going to strach the car its the face of the watch its VERY soft and it cost 200 dollars to get it buffed out by rolex
Old 04-22-09 | 05:47 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I agree....but that wasn't quite what I was refering to. I was talking (at first) about claiming theft when it wasn't (or may not have been) outright theft. But, as I indicated, the more I thought about it, the more I became convinced that, as you indicate, it is a legitimate tax deduction either way....it was lost through a matter beyond his control, although, of couse, he was the one who mislaid it.
You're right on the mislaying part, no deductibility. IRS has some such definition of theft as being perpetrated to deny the owner the use of the property. Don't know what the IRS will do but it is worth a try if it doesn't turn up.
Old 04-22-09 | 06:15 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Red Bully
I have one i spent 10k on and it not that your going to strach the car its the face of the watch its VERY soft and it cost 200 dollars to get it buffed out by rolex
You obviously don't have a real one because the crystal is extremely hard and nearly impossible to scratch. I've worn mine for 14 years and its been banged, scraped, dropped, and neglected. The crystal has remained flawless after 14 years of abuse.
Old 04-22-09 | 07:12 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Please post your evidence of this, I'd like to know.
To the OP, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
It's easy... One of the easiest ways is to look at the movement of the seconds hand (measures seconds) on a REAL Rolex vs that of a Fake one. Real is continuous while Fake is intermittent.

There are more advanced fakes out there, but like I said... anyone that KNOWS watches, can spot a fake.

http://www.productdose.com/article.php?article_id=6460
Old 04-22-09 | 07:25 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Red Bully
Hmm, as IS350jet said, it's extremely hard to damage the sapphire crystal on modern high end watches.

What model watch do you have? Do you own a vintage Rolex with an acrylic crystal?
Old 04-23-09 | 03:57 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stage3
It's easy... One of the easiest ways is to look at the movement of the seconds hand (measures seconds) on a REAL Rolex vs that of a Fake one. Real is continuous while Fake is intermittent.

There are more advanced fakes out there, but like I said... anyone that KNOWS watches, can spot a fake.

http://www.productdose.com/article.php?article_id=6460
I was referring to this quote:

Originally Posted by Stage3
to those that don't know, there is no difference between a Tag and a Casio calculator watch...
I think I understand what you were saying. At first, I thought you were saying that not many people know that Tag Heauer uses a cheap .99 cent Casio movement.

Last edited by IS350jet; 04-23-09 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-23-09 | 05:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
I dont see how you can scratch the car wearing a Rolex while using a power spray nozzle. Those nozzles are like 3 ft long. If I were to take off my Rolex, I would have put inside my car, not on top of the coin operator becuase you can accidentally spray the coin operator and knock the watch to the ground and get it scratch up. I know hind sight is always 20/20, so I will stop now
Sorry for your lost Tex2670
I didn't lose anything--well, not anything that is the subject of this thread.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-23-09 at 05:53 AM.

Quick Reply: do it your self car wash cost me my new rolex watch