Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

do it your self car wash cost me my new rolex watch

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 06:18 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay87T
HAHA sorry its funny.....you should have tossed it in the car or put it in your pocket atleast... what a expensive mistake..
"I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger..."

Originally Posted by mrblister
I spoke to the manager no serveilence cameras. i will report it to police today and will check with my homeowners policy. I just have such a sicking feeling. To much on my plate. My wife is in treatment for lymphoma. I have one of my oldest dogs of three in kidney failure. Going to have to make a descision soon as to what to do . I thought a trip to car wash would do me some good. Boy was I wrong. Its just a reminder that a meterial posession can be replaced . I guess the stress of all that I am dealing with
made me a bit absent minded. To the club member [ 8 posts ] that thinks someones
pain and loss is funny . I will pray for you . Your going to need all the prayers you can get in the future.
My prayers are with ya man!!! Hang tough, don't worry about tools like above and materialistic stuff. I am struggling each day to remind myself of that fact and how precious life is and those around you... becomes easier every day!!!
Old 04-23-09, 08:21 AM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS350jet
You obviously don't have a real one because the crystal is extremely hard and nearly impossible to scratch. I've worn mine for 14 years and its been banged, scraped, dropped, and neglected. The crystal has remained flawless after 14 years of abuse.

I guess Rolex services fake watches.LOL The watch is over 30 years old the face has never been replaced just buffed by rolex with the normal service.
Old 04-23-09, 10:33 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Red Bully
I guess Rolex services fake watches.LOL The watch is over 30 years old the face has never been replaced just buffed by rolex with the normal service.
My apologies. Did you pay 10K for it 30 years ago, or did you buy a used one for 10k recently?
Old 04-23-09, 10:57 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Red Bully- post pics of your watch man. I'd be interested in seeing a classic like that. Maybe we can help the OP on what new watch to get?!

Not sure if this is a gross generalization but older Rolex watches have the acrylic "crystal" while the newer ones have the harder material. The acrylic face ones have a convex surface while the crystal face ones are flat. Either way, they all still have the little bubble over the date and like Red Bully said, the acrylic can just be buffed out without issue while the crystal version, once scratched will forever be scratched unless replaced or fixed with some special compound (I saw a guy take out a scratch on his Panerai a while ago).

As far as durability is concerned, I can talk from experience about my daily which is a standard gmt pepsi bezel from 1986-1987. The case/band is so ridiculously sturdy, I would be worried about scratching my car if i were washing with a towel. I wish the same could be said about my Panerai's case... lol.

mrblister - which model did you have? To be honest, this economic slump we're in would actually benefit you if you were interested in having that watch replaced because deals can be found almost everywhere now.

Maybe the 50th anniversary green bezel submariner? Kind of unique and pretty sporty!

Here's an insaaaaaaane looking PVD black face daytona... oh man this looks sweet...

Same daytona in stock form:

Just throwing out some suggestions for the OP...

I've thought about getting a diff one and retiring mine to a winder though. This gmt has a very rare factory defect that occurred back in 1986-87 where Rolex attempted to use a different type of paint for the dial and failed to allow the paint to cool slow enough thus causing the dial to crack like a spiderweb. It has a "shattered" look to it. This "feature" makes it a collector's item so I kind of like the novelty of having a rare timepiece that looks like an everyday gmt but isn't.
Old 04-23-09, 01:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

mom used to wear a cartier everday one day it got caught on something and the band broke. Cost a bunch to fix. She wears a fake one now everyday and keeps the real one for fancy occasions.
Old 04-23-09, 08:07 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
My apologies. Did you pay 10K for it 30 years ago, or did you buy a used one for 10k recently?
Its ok. It was a more of a gift from Max Fortunoff the owner of Fortunoffs dept stores and it was given to my father for a BIG favor he did for him. I got the watch from him. Ill try to post pics you will see the scratch.