Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Learning manual?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 04:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
A friend of mine picked up a teal Wrangler with a manual transmission. I know enthusiasts prefer manual over auto, but I've never given it much though. Then I was schlepping home in my 4-spd slushbox in my SC when the age-old question popped into my head: how long and how easy is it for one to learn stick?

Just curious about the CL community's input, I might actually run out and learn manual myself!
Driving around on a manual for a week would be all you would need.
Old 04-21-09, 07:48 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SH347
I actually prefer manual over automatic but an LS with manual is kinda weird..
Why? Large luxury vehicles used to have MTs. My buddy had a 7 series with a 5MT. Neat car.
Old 04-21-09, 07:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Moved here....
The man law in me says its just ghey not to know how to drive a manual.

Its not really an enthusiast thing, but a purist thing. There is just no feeling like one with a manual.

My favorites are Honda and Porsche manuals.
Agreed, but BMW's pretty good too, & the rest all suck
Old 04-21-09, 08:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
are you ok?
No I'm fine. Its clear to those that have an IQ over 24 I shoot straight and I don't just "hate" the gotdamn brand. Their shifters are slick, clutches great and they make Lexus/Toyota manuals seem like concrete. Sadly of course the Honda/Acura rice brigade doesn't see that post but God forbid I call the TL ugly, they all text each other to come here and post crap. Anyone that says Honda/Acura shifters are bad needs their head examined.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Agreed, but BMW's pretty good too, & the rest all suck
Yes good point there. I find the 540 manual to be incredible for such a big/heavy/well built car. Feels smooth as silk to me.

As for manuals, sadly at this rate by the time I have children, they probably won't be made anymore and/or the government will call them dangerous/illegal.

Don't care, as soon as my child can reach the pedals, I'm showing him how to drive a manual.

Old 04-21-09, 09:10 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
Hondas make damn fine MTs. I fell in love with the GSR clutch and transmission the moment I drove one.
Originally Posted by JLSC4

Honda's are the best manuals. Have you driven MT's from each brand?
No I'm fine. Its clear to those that have an IQ over 24 I shoot straight and I don't just "hate" the gotdamn brand. Their shifters are slick, clutches great and they make Lexus/Toyota manuals seem like concrete. Sadly of course the Honda/Acura rice brigade doesn't see that post but God forbid I call the TL ugly, they all text each other to come here and post crap. Anyone that says Honda/Acura shifters are bad needs their head examined.
jeez, i was just joking b/c Mike always has so much hate towards Honda. tough crowd. I've driven a NSX and I attest that it is one of the best shifting cars out there. Never driven a S2000 but heard they are even better?
Old 04-21-09, 09:21 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

It's not hard. I learned the day I bought my first manual car. I spent about an hour in a parking lot practicing then drove it three hours home.
Old 04-21-09, 09:21 AM
LexFather

jeez, i was just joking b/c Mike always has so much hate towards Honda. tough crowd. I've driven a NSX and I attest that it is one of the best shifting cars out there. Never driven a S2000 but heard they are even better?
I know u were joking. I was not about the IQ comment

Back to manuals. My two best buds were not car guys and therefore could not drive manuals. My Scoupe Turbo and ES 300 were manuals. Needless to say I would always have to drive and thought is was uber lame they didn't know how to drive a manual.

My dad basically showed me in a new Nissan hardbody xcab and then gave me the keys to figure it out. I'll never forget getting stuck on my first hill.

Old 04-21-09, 09:25 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My now-husband tried teaching me to drive an MT on his mom's ~1977 Camaro when I was 17. I never learned the trick, as the throttle was way sensitive, and the clutch was grabby.

He kept telling me to hit the throttle as I released the clutch, and I could never manage consistently.

A couple of years later, after I'd ridden a scooter for a couple of years, he tried again. This time, using a 1955 Ford Fordor, with the three speeds on the column.

The breakthrough was when he *finally* mentioned that I could "pause" the release on the clutch, as I accelerated through the clutch engagement. He'd never said that before, and being a very literal type, I thought I had to always continuously release the clutch. Once I knew I could hold the release, it was a piece of cake.

I later taught a girlfriend how to drive MT on my car in an afternoon, in a local parking lot. So I'd agree that an afternoon is sufficient, but it definitely helps to keep practicing.

Every car I've owned has been MT, and it's only now that I'm considering an AT. Only the X3 or the Cayenne have MTs, and both are more expense than I want to spend right now.

Sandi
Old 04-21-09, 10:53 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Every car I've owned has been MT, and it's only now that I'm considering an AT. Only the X3 or the Cayenne have MTs, and both are more expense than I want to spend right now.
funny you say this b/c I didn't know a MT X3 even existed till last night when I saw my friend's X3 was a stick. Apparently they are really rare and has to be special ordered.
Old 04-21-09, 10:59 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sandi_k

Sandi
That's been my dissapointment with Lexus. I'd like to own one someday, but I don't get along well with automatics. Looks like Audi or BMW might be a better brand for me.
Old 04-21-09, 11:16 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
That's been my dissapointment with Lexus. I'd like to own one someday, but I don't get along well with automatics. Looks like Audi or BMW might be a better brand for me.
I see your point having owned many cars with manuals, even if manuals are a small portion of Audi and BMW sales today.
Old 04-21-09, 11:18 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

No worries, wasn't aiming any aggression on you. I knew Mike disliked the current Acura/Honda line up.

A friend bought a used S2000 and he said it was pure bliss rowing through the gears. I didn't get a chance to drive it before he sold it.

I know u were joking. I was not about the IQ comment

Back to manuals. My two best buds were not car guys and therefore could not drive manuals. My Scoupe Turbo and ES 300 were manuals. Needless to say I would always have to drive and thought is was uber lame they didn't know how to drive a manual.

My dad basically showed me in a new Nissan hardbody xcab and then gave me the keys to figure it out. I'll never forget getting stuck on my first hill.
It's harder to stall in a truck. I remember driving my friend's old Toyota pickup and I had to really screw up to stall on that thing.

I got stuck one time in rush hour traffic by myself when I first started to learn... Car started to creep back down and I almost panicked till I remembered the parking break technique lol.

San Francisco with a beginner = burned clutch.

Old 04-21-09, 01:49 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I see your point having owned many cars with manuals, even if manuals are a small portion of Audi and BMW sales today.
You know, I don't see 550i's very often. But the one's I have seen were 6MTs.
Old 04-21-09, 01:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
You know, I don't see 550i's very often. But the one's I have seen were 6MTs.
Last 550 I saw was actually an Auto Tranny, but at first glance the stick looked looked like a manual. This car was on display at a local high-end used car dealership.
Old 04-21-09, 02:10 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
No worries, wasn't aiming any aggression on you. I knew Mike disliked the current Acura/Honda line up.

A friend bought a used S2000 and he said it was pure bliss rowing through the gears. I didn't get a chance to drive it before he sold it.

It's harder to stall in a truck. I remember driving my friend's old Toyota pickup and I had to really screw up to stall on that thing.

I got stuck one time in rush hour traffic by myself when I first started to learn... Car started to creep back down and I almost panicked till I remembered the parking break technique lol.

San Francisco with a beginner = burned clutch.

San Francisco is actually Spanish for flaming clutch.

Quick Reply: Learning manual?