Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the V8 a dying breed? Auto engineers expect more turbos, smaller engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 11:13 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, the V8's will not die, they will only get bigger and badder, and more desirable than ever.

Today's V6's in premium cars range from 3.5L to 4.0L, which is basically the same displacement as mid-late 90ies 8 cylinder motors. They are also as powerful as mid 90ies 8 cylinder motors, so the justification can be made that nobody needs a V8, but once you drive a modern V8, there's just no comparison.

In fact, I feel that there's going to be a horse power at another level very soon. All the base model four cylinder camrys, accords, and altimas haven't been getting anymore powerful, while their v6 siblings all got monsterous power increase. For instance the V6 camry went from 190hp to 270, that's 80hp upgrade, while as the 4 cylinder got what, maybe 20hp increase? Watch one of them throw the first jab with a ~200hp base model 4 cyl, and the battle will begin.
Old 04-22-09, 11:47 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Today's V6's in premium cars range from 3.5L to 4.0L, which is basically the same displacement as mid-late 90ies 8 cylinder motors. They are also as powerful as mid 90ies 8 cylinder motors, so the justification can be made that nobody needs a V8, but once you drive a modern V8, there's just no comparison.
I don't think that theres anything wrong with offer a potent 4.0L V8. Companies don't want to invest in V8s anymore, except for MB, BMW, and Lexus. Even Audi is going the V6 route. And with an S4 that is 30% more fuel efficient, I don't blame them.
Old 04-22-09, 12:16 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Agreed. I am dissapointed that the Fusion gained 200 lbs. I always commended it for only weighing in at 3100 lbs for the base model. That being said, this model is even more efficient and more powerful.

I think engine sizes have really ballooned to a point that they don't need to be for your average vehicle. I like the Subaru 2.5L car, because Subarus are athletic, rugged, AWD vehicles. But does a Camry need a 180 HP 2.5L? I think a 165 HP, smaller, more efficient powerplant would suffice. Same with the 3.5L. That's alot for the Camry, whereas I can see a vehicle like the Fusion having that option (the new one does) since you can get it in AWD. Who is trying to go fast in a FWD Camry?

Every V6 camry I see when I drive my IS is trying to go faster than me. Speaking of loseing weight I would have bought a STI if it was available without AWD. In So. CA you need/want power alot more than AWD & the weight that comes with it. Displacement of the engine has a bigger effect on MPG & emissions than the number of cylinders.
Old 04-22-09, 01:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Just curious where Nissan has three. The M and Titan I know of. Where is the other?

Yes 5 speeds, 6 speeds and 7 and so on is more important than a V8 for Acura. and many others.
4.5 liter V-8 for M45
5.0 V-8 for FX 50
5.6 for QX56

They will all soon get the new 5.0 V-8

Old 04-22-09, 01:20 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Yes V8's are a dying breed.

Most manufacturers will have to trim their line ups from excess V8s. Right now Lexus has too many V8s in their porfolio for their cars. The 4.3, 4.6 and 5.0. Lexus is having trouble moving the SC430 and the LS460 right now. No wonder why we will see a Ls350 in the future. Maybe not in America but overseas at least. Lexus only really needs one V8 for their cars.
If you really want to get technical, Lexus has many, many more V8s. The 4.3L unit in the SC430, 4.6L in the GS 460 (single intake), 4.6L in the LS with dual intakes, 5.0L in the IS F, 4.7L in the GX 470, and 5.7L in the LX 570. You could loop the 5.0L in the LS 600hL in there if you really wanted to.

You seem to imply that standardizing the line with one V8 engine would be the most efficient thing to do while in all honesty, I cannot think of a less efficient way to go about business. Truck V8s won't necessarily work (tuned the same way) in cars, and it would be ridiculous for the LS 460 to employ the firebreathing V8 out of the IS F. Customers would hate it. Different cars have different purposes and intended uses- often times that dictates the need for a different engine.

For example, by your strategy you would likely say that the new GX should get the new 5.7L V8 so that the SUVs all use the same engine. Truthfully, A midsize SUV really doesn't need 385hp (for a number of reasons) and they also have to distinguish the LX as well as justify an $80,000 price tag. This is why the GX is getting a 4.6L 320hp version of the same block that is tuned differently.

Lexus often uses a similar block - 4.6L, 5.0L, and 5.7L are all on the same block I think- among many cars, but they are all tuned differently.
Old 04-22-09, 01:47 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My 450h has the power/torque of the V-8 but it does get 30% better fuel economy. I do miss the sound of the V-8 though, my car sounds either like an eletric train whirring up to a raccoon who got shot in the nuts WOT.
LOL! i concur!
Old 04-22-09, 02:23 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

so does that mean we should keep our V8's? cuz itll become rarer in the next 100 years?
Old 04-22-09, 02:26 PM
LexFather

^^^ I'm sure if the 4 cylinder freaks got their way and tried to ban V-8s, they would be grandfathered in

Old 04-22-09, 02:31 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

its about time. Does anyone really need more than 300hp that a I4 turbo can provide, if so a twin turbo 6 can get up to 400hp if needed (or more see Porsche 911 turbo).

I'm always searching for I4 turbo cars and there is never enough to choose from in the marketplace. The GM I4 turbos can be ordered from the factory with 290hp in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline, that is a great engine, too bad GM is such a pitiful company they are going to let those models die.... its even direct injected!

Toyota JDM 3SGTE:

US Subbie STI:

US GM LNF:

BMW 7 series V12 j/k:

Last edited by toy4two; 04-22-09 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-22-09, 02:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
its about time. Does anyone really need more than 300hp that a I4 turbo can provide, if so a twin turbo 6 can get up to 400hp if needed (or more see Porsche 911 turbo).

I'm always searching for I4 turbo cars and there is never enough to choose from in the marketplace. The GM I4 turbos can be ordered from the factory with 290hp in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline, that is a great engine, too bad GM is such a pitiful company they are going to let those models die.... its even direct injected!
Have you ever driven a turbo 4 cylinder? I'll be very honest with you, the only turbo four's I've driven were a bunch of DSMs and a few Hondas with aftermarket turbos. I'd frankly much rather drive NA four Camry than any of these on daily basis. They are rough, loud, annoying, unrefined, vibrating, etc. I've never seen a smooth turbo four. Perhaps the RDX might be smooth, I haven't driven it so I don't know, but in general its not just the power alone that makes people buy V8's - theres also smoothness, refinement, low end torque, reliability and longetivity, and status. Not to even mention that trying to maintain/repair any turbo car is a major pain, as the inside of the engine bay is usually a major clusterpuzzle.
Old 04-22-09, 02:41 PM
LexFather

^^ Some of us have no intentions of ever buying a 4 cylinder, I don't care if it makes 500hp. I don't like how they feel or sound. they seem fine in light cars but in heavy cars, they just don't cut it for me.

Its not like all 4 cylinders are so fuel efficient either. The 4 cylinder TSX gets the same economy as the 6 cylinder IS 250 for example.

I think people should be allowed a choice, no reason to just hate on V-8s like this article is suggesting.

Old 04-22-09, 03:29 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I <3 my V8.
Old 04-22-09, 03:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^ Some of us have no intentions of ever buying a 4 cylinder, I don't care if it makes 500hp. I don't like how they feel or sound. they seem fine in light cars but in heavy cars, they just don't cut it for me.

Its not like all 4 cylinders are so fuel efficient either. The 4 cylinder TSX gets the same economy as the 6 cylinder IS 250 for example.

I think people should be allowed a choice, no reason to just hate on V-8s like this article is suggesting.
I agree, once you get used to and appreciate fine machinery, very few 4 bangers will suffice. The high-output 4 cylinder turbo engines aren't giving enough of a fuel mileage advantage to put up with the mediocre drivability, harshness, sound quality.