Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New garage mate for our F! --- NOT a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 03:43 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Thanks man.

Thanks!....lol. I've already got my eye on some black 20" Vossen's for next summer....and thinking about the blacked out grille and badging as well.

I'll certainly have to look into this "kd box" that you are referring to.

The finance manager who has an E320 Bluetec also mentioned that we shouldn't expect the amazing mileage until past 10 000 km.

I'm not going to lie....I'm scared chitless about the reliability.
CONGRATS CDN!!! Let me know what you think as I'm doing much comparison between the MB320 and the X5 x-drive35d right now...
Old 04-22-09, 05:40 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not really sure what that is even supposed to mean?

Keep in mind that it was the service that I received from management at the local Lexus dealership that pushed me away in the first place. Not only did they damage the calipers on my F (they tried to put F-Sport wheels on for my winter set-up) but after telling me that they would get them fixed for over 6 months....2 weeks ago I was informed that they were washing their hands of them. If that is the "superior" service you are suggesting that Lexus offers, I'll do without thanks.

Had they simply repaired my calipers or even made arrangements to have it done...we'd already be in a new RX.

I actually feel very badly for our sales guy, as the management basically screwed him out of a guaranteed sale.

Benz has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with thus far. Time will tell I guess.
Congrats on the Benz D. I have yet to warm up to diesel powered vehicles.. Did the Lexus dealer ever resolve the electrical issue that left you stranded ? What was the issue with the F?
Old 04-22-09, 06:48 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the ML, it looks great in black. Make sure to post a review of the ML and the diesel engine!
Old 04-22-09, 06:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

CDNROCKIES, shame shame, an MB?

Just kidding man, congrats. I would have pick the MB over the RX also.
Old 04-22-09, 07:10 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Congrats on the Benz D. I have yet to warm up to diesel powered vehicles.. Did the Lexus dealer ever resolve the electrical issue that left you stranded ? What was the issue with the F?
No, nothing was determined on the electrical issue. They replaced the battery and therer haven't been any issues since.

The issue with the F was that they tried to put F-sport wheels on as my winter set-up. This ended up putting 3 inch gouges through both of my rear Brembo calipers. I was told when it happened that it would get worked out between the dealership where I bought the car (300 miles away) and the local dealership who actually did the damage.

After hearing this for 6 months, I finally mentioned to our sales guy that I wouldn't be purchasing a new RX until the caliper issue was resolved. After he spoke with the service manager, I was now informed that there would be nothing done by the local dealership and that it was between me and the original dealer who provided the wheels.

I've now been told that I'm supposed to bring the car back to the other dealer (a 1000 km round trip) and they will fix it. I was disappointed enough with this service that we started cross shopping a while ago and ended up in the Benz. Que sera sera!
Old 04-22-09, 07:24 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what determines whether someone gets A or B service?

and to CDNROCKIES - big congrats!

love the interior on latest MLs.

You alternate between "A" and "B".

I think the "B" is mostly inspections, so I am not sure how much you can opt out of.

I do know around here that the "A" service is about $150, $160, and the "B" service usually runs around $700.
Old 04-22-09, 08:33 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice choice. We have a '08 ML350 in the household and it's been a great vehicle. Hate the outdated COMAND system in the '08 but the '09 COMAND is much improved.

Definitely keep us up to date on the MPG. And don't worry too much about reliability...haven't had issues with my wife's ML during the past year. Enjoy your ML
Old 04-22-09, 08:55 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 806 Likes on 563 Posts

Reliability will be fine. Enjoy the ride, it looks good
Old 04-22-09, 09:24 AM
Alfalover
Driver School Candidate

CDN,
What kind of deal did you get on the ML in Alberta? I am interested in getting a new 10RX, but the dealers hear in Toronto have held their ground, (and we have at least 7 in the area with an 8th on the way), so I am also considering an ML or an X5 as alternatives.
Old 04-22-09, 09:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kalvano
"B" service is the alternate service on M-B's that cost almost triple what the "A" service costs.
More like 2x, just had it done on my Mercedes last month.
Old 04-22-09, 08:32 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
CONGRATS CDN!!! Let me know what you think as I'm doing much comparison between the MB320 and the X5 x-drive35d right now...
Come on Russ....you just want to keep test driving new vehicles.

I will certainly let everyone know what the positives and negatives of our ML. As I've already mentioned, there are certain things that I would have liked that the RX has.

There were 2 primary issues with the X5 35d that crossed it off our list.

1. The price....I can't understand how people can justify the additional $10K ish for a BMW. I get that they are the best handling rides in their class but is it worth the additional cash for their other shortcomings?

2. I would never, EVER, EVER, buy a first generation BMW anything. My father had bought the first gen X5 when it first came out....and it was a TOTAL DISASTER! It was in the shop 20 times in only 18 months. He finally intimated at legal action with BMW Canada and they got him into a new one with somewhat limited damage.

His new one has been light years better but first gen scares the chit out of me.
Old 04-22-09, 09:11 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

service A is the first service at 10,000 miles (starting with 2009 vehicles, 13,000 for pre 2009 vehicles), and then you go again to the dealership after another 10,000 miles (or 13,000) for B service.

Service A is just the oil change (minor service in lexus talk), and service B is oil change + other pricey goodies (major service in lexus talk)
Old 04-23-09, 08:40 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

nice car, congrats
Old 04-23-09, 09:21 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not really sure what that is even supposed to mean?

Keep in mind that it was the service that I received from management at the local Lexus dealership that pushed me away in the first place. Not only did they damage the calipers on my F (they tried to put F-Sport wheels on for my winter set-up) but after telling me that they would get them fixed for over 6 months....2 weeks ago I was informed that they were washing their hands of them. If that is the "superior" service you are suggesting that Lexus offers, I'll do without thanks.

Had they simply repaired my calipers or even made arrangements to have it done...we'd already be in a new RX.

I actually feel very badly for our sales guy, as the management basically screwed him out of a guaranteed sale.

Benz has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with thus far. Time will tell I guess.

i hope you told your lexus sales guy the reason why you didn't buy from him. have you also looked at the audi q5 or q7?

Last edited by Stormforge; 04-23-09 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-23-09, 11:59 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats OP !!

i love the new ML as well. Planning to get it someday.....someday....

Quick Reply: New garage mate for our F! --- NOT a Lexus