Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tweaked Honda Accord for China

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 09:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge
what model year(s) did the GS get twin turbo I-6 option in japan?
Since 1993 in the first gen. You could even get AWD and 4 wheel steering as an option Clearly we didn't get those options here on the GS. Mind you this is the same engine as the Supra so gains with simple BPU mods get you 400hp easy let alone going with larger turbos or a single turbo. Only Japan got those choices, Europe gets the 6/V-8 choice like we do.

Originally Posted by leedogg
Its all relative. For us here in the US, marketing has impressed upon us that Acura is the 'luxury brand' and honda is the non luxury brand, whereas in Europe and China, the Acura brand is relatively unknown. Honda is the well known and well respected brand name so for all practical purposes, they would recognize and respect Honda more than they would Acura and therefore Honda is the luxury or premiere brand for them.
Very good post and I'm not sure Honda managment will ever take Acura serious. As for brands yes they can be seen differently around the world. Forbes just released the 100 most valuable brands in the world and amazingly Lexus is on the list, seperate from Toyota. The only other car brands mentioned were Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, VW and I believe Ferrari and Audi.

China is a HUGE opportunity for car makers as we have seen and China like most of Asia is VERY brand oriented. They want to be associated and are willing to pay top dollar for what they consider to be "top brands". Their perceptions are based not at their own home market but abroad and how people feel about them here in the USA, Europe, etc. Thus with Acura's image lacking, it seems Honda sends China a Euro Accord and doesn't badge it a TSX.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-23-09 at 09:35 AM.

Old 04-23-09, 10:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Tweak IMO = improvement. Wheres the improvement?
There's less chrome on the grill. That's an improvement in my book.