Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mother kicks arguing daughters out of car, then drives off

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 05:58 PM
LexFather

Post Mother kicks arguing daughters out of car, then drives off

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (April 21) - Usually, it's an empty threat: "If you kids don't stop fighting, I'm going to stop this car right now and leave you here!"
But a mother from an upper-crust New York suburb went through with it, ordering her battling 10- and 12-year-old daughters out of her car in White Plains' business district and driving off, police said Tuesday.

Madlyn Primoff, 45, a partner in a Manhattan law firm, pleaded not guilty Monday to a charge of endangering a child. A temporary order of protection was issued, barring her from contact with the children, who were physically unharmed.

Primoff's lawyer, Vincent Briccetti, would not comment Tuesday on details of the case. But he said, "Madlyn is a great mother connected with a great family, and she is grateful for the outpouring of support from friends and family."

There wasn't much support from strangers, however. Mothers interviewed near the scene said they couldn't imagine doing what Primoff did, though some understood the urge.

Iris Gorodess, 49, of Mahopac, who has four children ranging from 10 to 19 years old, said she sympathized with Primoff's actions, right up to the point where she pulled away.

"I used to pull over and make the kids change seats. Also, I make sure the kids have their iPods and their games. And I have a minivan, so they're not up my neck all the time.

"But I can't see pulling away. That has to be too scary for the children."

White Plains police said Primoff ordered the arguing girls out of the car Sunday evening as they were driving home. She left them at Post Road and South Broadway, an area of shops and offices 3 miles from their home, then drove off, the police report said.

The report does not say whether the girls had cell phones.

Police would not say if Primoff ever returned to look for the girls, but they said, without explaining how, that the 12-year-old eventually caught up with the mother. The 10-year-old was found by a "Good Samaritan" on the street, upset and emotional about losing her mother, police said.

The girl gave police her mother's name and their address in well-to-do Scarsdale, and they asked Scarsdale police to check Primoff's $2 million house. Shortly afterward, Primoff called Scarsdale police from home to say the 10-year-old was missing, said Scarsdale Detective Lt. Bryant Clark.

He directed her to White Plains police headquarters, where she was arrested.

Dr. Richard Gersh, director of psychiatric services at the Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services in Manhattan, said Primoff's behavior was not appropriate.

"It is a traumatic situation for a child to be abandoned by a parent like that. You can imagine what emotional issues might arise," he said.

http://news.aol.com/article/mom-driv...ughters/439081

Old 04-22-09, 06:11 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If she came back or something like that fine, it takes a situation to put some kids in their place, and since they came from a well-to-do area, im guessing, could be wrong, that these kids needed something to make them realize mom was legit. If though it was at night, an awful area, ect. i could see it being quite a stupid thing to do.My mom did it to me when i was 13, given she did drop me off 2 miles away from my house in a nice neighborhood
Old 04-22-09, 06:20 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL! Awesome... idle threat no more!!
Old 04-22-09, 07:44 PM
Epik151
Driver

10 is 5th ****ing grade. Wow grow up, kid. What kind of pussified world do we live in.

She probably did come back shortly. Why can't they release that info eh? "Found by a good samaritan" could mean someone from across the street came over and asked what was going on.

Story paints a careless mom picture but the kids could be the sort of bratty ones who would respond to "if you guys don't be quiet i'm going to pull over" with "oh yeah mom? really? you're going to pull over? then what! What are you gonna do, leave us on the side of the road? That, I would like to see."

Bravo for actually doing it. What kind of free country doesn't let you teach your own kids a lesson by having them get out of a car for a few minutes.

I remember when my little brother was 5 or 6 or so I'd walk with him through department stores or grocery stores and then slip around a corner when he wasn't looking or sprint off and watch from afar as the panic and fear overcame him.

"Aaaaandrew? Aandreeeew? Wer'd you gooo?"

I'd amuse myself for a few minutes or until he broke down sobbing and walk past him and say "hey, let's check out toys r us" like nothing happened. Sure enough he'd scramble up and tag along there at my side wiping his eyes, happy to not be alone in this big strange mall world.

The joy that kid felt when seeing a familiar face is like nothing you or I could imagine.

And let me tell you he's all the better for it. There are no long-term psychological damages. Well, except for the fact he still wets himself in his 30's when he loses his line of sight to whoever had to accompany him to get groceries since he can't go alone anywhere.

But I doubt that's related.
Old 04-22-09, 08:42 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

They were only 3 miles away from their home...they couldn't just walk home? Glad to see parents not caving in to their kids.
Old 04-22-09, 08:44 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a joke!

My old man did this to my sister and myself as a kid....though he didn't drive that far away....lol.

It was quite effective....today's kids are such babies.

Maybe she should have just smacked them into listening instead....oh, but then she would have ended up in court anyways.
Old 04-22-09, 08:51 PM
LexFather

Yeah the mom should be given an award. Kids are probably spoiled brats.

I was walking all over NYC before I was 10. Where is Darwin?

Old 04-23-09, 06:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You guys will make great parents one day, NOT
Old 04-23-09, 07:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

She avoided crashing due to the "rug rat distraction effect".
Old 04-23-09, 08:21 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I lived in Westchester County (5 miles south of here) and it is by NO MEANS A BAD AREA. They live in Scarsdale, which is like the Beverly Hills of New York and I am willing to bet they are spoiled brats. Mom did what she had to do and I am astonished that they decided to bring her up on child endangerment charges. Now she can't see her kids.

Let's consider this one again. Isn't the test for these types of things "best interest of the child?" Meaning if they find her guilty, they lock her in jail and take the kids away? I fail to see how this incident places her in the same category as an abusive parent.

I am a new parent, but better believe that I can see a situation where I would most definetly do the same thing.
Old 04-23-09, 09:25 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

When a parent can't discipline their kids without the police getting involved, we might as well flush this society down the toilet and start over. Spoiled brats who think the world owes them something often make for lousy adults and we're about to be swimming in generations of them. And what about the marm who makes her kids change seats and makes sure they have all their electronics? Way to send a message, moron.
Old 04-23-09, 09:39 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Kids nowaday just need a good spanking ..

I will spank my kids if they are bad. If they call the police, they better be prepare move out.
Old 04-23-09, 09:46 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 731 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by wmb0000
Kids nowaday just need a good spanking ..

I will spank my kids if they are bad. If they call the police, they better be prepare move out.
+1 if they think they have it bad with me, just wait until they have to go into a foster home...
Old 04-23-09, 09:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

So who is next after you guys beat up your kid? If your wife give you some shiz, a few good smack will make her listen next time I am sure.
Old 04-23-09, 10:07 AM
copa
Rookie

This is a lazy and stupid way to discipline your kid. Nobody here can really imagine what could go wrong when you abandon a 10-year-old girl at night in a town, well-to-do or not?

If you feel all kids are miserable brats, or it's too much work to raise them, no problem. Vasectomies are cheap.