Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pontiac is DEAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 01:16 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac is DEAD

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=146706

Date posted: 04-23-2009

DETROIT — According to a source at General Motors, the company will announce next Monday its new "faster, deeper" reorganization plan, which will likely include a death sentence for the Pontiac brand.

Inside Line called Tom Wilkinson, news relations PR man for General Motors, who said: "There's nothing I can share with you at this time. Keep your eyes on our media site. Officially, nothing has changed with Pontiac's niche-brand status, until you hear differently."

The one-time "Excitement" division and creator of legends such as the GTO and Firebird was relegated to "niche" or "specialty" brand status by General Motors in its first viability plan in December of last year.

The company toyed with competing proposals to either turn the brand into GM's version of Scion or to make Pontiac a very focused purveyor of performance cars based around the critically well-received G8. But ultimately, Pontiac was chosen as the easiest to kill since it was cut from GM's self-defined herd of four "core brands," Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC and Buick. Most Pontiac franchises have already been combined with Buick and GMC.

If true, Pontiac will join Saab, Saturn and Hummer as brands that will not survive GM's current troubles — at least not as a component of General Motors.

Inside Line says: Just as the G8 reawakened our interest in 83-year-old Pontiac, the brand falls victim to bad times and old mistakes. — Daniel Pund, Senior Editor, Detroit
Old 04-23-09, 02:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TBD. A "specialty/niche" brand with about 2 models that are worthy.

In the mean time they are wrapping numerous hundred dollar bills around each crappy Pontiac that they sell, something an essentially bankrupt company cannot afford to do.
Old 04-23-09, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If Pontiac dies, IMO it will be a needless death (I won't go into Saturn again here, because we've already discussed that in other threads). GMC and Hummer, I can understand.....GMCs are nothing but rebadged Chevys, and Hummer sales are simply too low to keep the badge going. They probably deserve to go. But Pontiac does some interesting stuff that has little competition.....dropping it would give some other manufacturers a monopoly or near-monoploy. Note the the G6 hard-top convertible, which offers mid-sized fun-in-the-sun for a low price, and, until this years's new Chrysler Sebring hard-top convertible, was the only reasonably-priced mid-sized hard-top convertible offered. There's the G8 GT RWD performance sedan, which, until the Ford Taurus SHO comes out, is the only domestic competition for the Dodge Charger R/T, and the Solstice Roadster, which, along with th Saturn Sky, provides competition for the Miata.

Honda already has plans to drop the S2000. If the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky both get canned with their divisions, watch for Miata prices to climb. Dodge may also jack up the Charger's price with the demise of the G8 , though we'll have to see what kind of competition the Taurus SHO gives it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 03:14 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If Pontiac dies, IMO it will be a needless death (I won't go into Saturn again here, because we've already discussed that in other threads). GMC and Hummer, I can understand.....GMCs are nothing but rebadged Chevys, and Hummer sales are simply too low to keep the badge going. They probably deserve to go. But Pontiac does some interesting stuff that you can't get anywhere else, like the G6 hard-top convertible, which offers mid-sized fun-in-the-sun for a low price, G8 GT RWD performance sedan, which, until the Ford Taurus SHO comes out, is the only domestic competition for the Dodge Charger R/T, and the Solstice Roadster, which, along with th Saturn Sky, provides competition for the Miata.

Honda already has plans to drop the S2000. If the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky both get canned with their divisions, watch for Miata prices to climb. Dodge may also jack up the Charger's price with the demise of the G8 , though we'll have to see what kind of competition the Taurus SHO gives it.
I heard Saturn had a buyer... and roll the G8 into Chevrolet... buh-bye to the rest...
Old 04-23-09, 03:43 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Ever since pontiac killed the firebird trans am (KITT), it was dead to me
Old 04-23-09, 03:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Ever since pontiac killed the firebird trans am (KITT), it was dead to me
Didn't he get something better in the new show?
Old 04-23-09, 03:54 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is-sv
didn't he get something better in the new show?:d
Yes... he DID!!! :d:d:d
Old 04-23-09, 04:50 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

That's what you get for makin crappy products. It's bad when former Pontiac owners (my parents) rent a Hyundai as opposed to a Pontiac.
Old 04-23-09, 05:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
That's what you get for makin crappy products. It's bad when former Pontiac owners (my parents) rent a Hyundai as opposed to a Pontiac.
Sounds like my parents, they were so impressed with a Toyota Corolla rental car versus the usual crap GM cars that were typically rented.
Old 04-23-09, 06:05 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

umpteenth time it's been posted.

"we know"
Old 04-23-09, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Sounds like my parents, they were so impressed with a Toyota Corolla rental car versus the usual crap GM cars that were typically rented.
Guess what, Chief?

Pontiac HAS a Toyota-Corolla-sourced rental car.....the Vibe.
Old 04-23-09, 06:08 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Guess what, Chief?

Pontiac HAS a Toyota-Corolla-sourced rental car.....the Vibe.
I thought the Vibe was based on the matrix? Unless the Matrix is based on the Corolla?
Old 04-23-09, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I heard Saturn had a buyer... and roll the G8 into Chevrolet... buh-bye to the rest...
I don't know if Chevy would accept the G8 platform as a sport sedan. Though the G8 is Australian/Holden-sourced and RWD, it still would probably compete too much with Chevy's own FWD Impala SS.

I COULD, though, see Chevy maybe (?) accepting the sport-truck G8 platform that Pontiac was working on.....that would bring back the old Chevy El Camino that was sold for some 20 years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-09 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 06:10 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Fun Fact: The G8 is called the Chevy Lumina in the middle east

And the Monaro was our GTO but their Lumina Coupe:
Old 04-23-09, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I thought the Vibe was based on the matrix? Unless the Matrix is based on the Corolla?
Yes. The Matrix/Vibe is essentially a Corolla chassis/drivetrain (with an AWD option) and a different, hatchback body/interior.

Quick Reply: Pontiac is DEAD