Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motorcycle Talk.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 03:32 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Motorcycle Talk.

Hey everyone, I know this is the "car chat" section but I have a motorcycle scenario type question for you. If you were shopping around for a nice, USED motorcycle and had a budget of about 6 - 7k, which bike would you ultimately choose and why? Im very interested in seeing what people would choose and their reason(s)
Old 04-23-09, 03:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

**ahem**

I think I can help.

Answer me these:

1) What type of bike are you looking for? Sport/racing, cruising, touring, or off-road?

2) How much experience do you have?

3) How much technological and maintenance knowledge do you know?

4) How do you plan to ride this bike? An everyday daily beater? A weekend warrior? Race-track only?

5) Any bikes you've seen that you like? Designed beautifully? Performs exceptionally? Makes you go ga-ga?
Old 04-23-09, 04:10 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
**ahem**

I think I can help.

Answer me these:

1) What type of bike are you looking for? Sport/racing, cruising, touring, or off-road?

2) How much experience do you have?

3) How much technological and maintenance knowledge do you know?

4) How do you plan to ride this bike? An everyday daily beater? A weekend warrior? Race-track only?

5) Any bikes you've seen that you like? Designed beautifully? Performs exceptionally? Makes you go ga-ga?

Lol thanks...I'll answer....

1. Im looking for a sports bike.

2. First started riding dirtbikes at the age of 8. Got my first "motorcycle" (1996 Honda Shadow VLX cruiser) at 15. So, basically been riding all my life

3. I know a few things about motorcycles but wouldnt call myself a professional just yet. lol

4. Planning on having it be my Daily Driver

5. The bikes that I like so far are the Suzuki Gsxr 600 and Honda CBR 600. But my dream bike is a Ducati 1198

Last edited by P Weezy; 04-23-09 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 04:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Ahhh!!! To be 19 years old with the world as your oyster...

I see that you already have an affinity to racing bikes such as the GSXR and CBR. And honestly, the two that you are looking at are fine for your skill and purpose.

However, I would tone it down a bit and get something that isn't so racing-oriented. Just for now; you have plenty of time to upgrade with more time and experience (and more money for insurance).

A good sporty daily driver would be a Suzuki SV650S. It's very easy to maintain, inexpensive, and a good all-arounder. It's not exotic to say the least, but it'll get the job done. Plenty of ways to modify it; and inexpensively too.

If you commute in traffic a lot, a more upright bike may be better ergonomically. A Yamaha FZ6 or Suzuki V-Strom 650 would fall into the naked-sport-touring category. They are not race-track oriented, but they're enthusiastic enough for spirited canyon riding and long-distance commuting. Much more comfortable and functional than the SV, but they won't garner the admiration from fellow riders either.

Another choice that I would throw into the mix is a Ducati Multistrada 620. This is Ducati's most reliable bike (more reliable than my 1000DS), and maintenance costs don't differ too much compared to Japanese bikes. It's easy to ride and master, and it has the spunk and agility that the brand name can provide. It's an upright position, so it feels like a V-Strom but it handles much much better, but not knee-down good like the GSXR. Mods are quite pricey, and insurance will still price this as "an Italian exotic sportbike." Still, it's worth the performance when all things are considered.
Old 04-23-09, 04:45 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duc 1098 is a bit out of the price range. If you like V-twin sound/bike. Ever thought about Honda RC51?

You can get a used RC51 for around that price with great mods on there, gotta get aftermarket pipes for any V-twin bike. Decent HP & tq for the RC51, also great or daily commuting.

RC51 is cheap to buy and maintain. Peformace wise is competitve but not surpass Italian. High reputation for reliable, and engine was desgin by HRC.

Bike world order according to my knowledge: V-twin class

1. Duc
2. Aprilia
3. Honda RC51
4. Suzuki

However, I recently found out, insurance price change class for bike. For example, RC51 consider a sport bike, higher premium, while Aprilia consider luxury bike, lower premium. Gotta consider insurance when deciding a bike now man. 1000cc vs. 600cc

Last edited by speed_Demo; 04-23-09 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 04:50 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh!!! To be 19 years old with the world as your oyster...

I see that you already have an affinity to racing bikes such as the GSXR and CBR. And honestly, the two that you are looking at are fine for your skill and purpose.

However, I would tone it down a bit and get something that isn't so racing-oriented. Just for now; you have plenty of time to upgrade with more time and experience (and more money for insurance).

A good sporty daily driver would be a Suzuki SV650S. It's very easy to maintain, inexpensive, and a good all-arounder. It's not exotic to say the least, but it'll get the job done. Plenty of ways to modify it; and inexpensively too.

If you commute in traffic a lot, a more upright bike may be better ergonomically. A Yamaha FZ6 or Suzuki V-Strom 650 would fall into the naked-sport-touring category. They are not race-track oriented, but they're enthusiastic enough for spirited canyon riding and long-distance commuting. Much more comfortable and functional than the SV, but they won't garner the admiration from fellow riders either.

Another choice that I would throw into the mix is a Ducati Multistrada 620. This is Ducati's most reliable bike (more reliable than my 1000DS), and maintenance costs don't differ too much compared to Japanese bikes. It's easy to ride and master, and it has the spunk and agility that the brand name can provide. It's an upright position, so it feels like a V-Strom but it handles much much better, but not knee-down good like the GSXR. Mods are quite pricey, and insurance will still price this as "an Italian exotic sportbike." Still, it's worth the performance when all things are considered.
Knew Phillip would chime in 1st and great info, he suggested similar, and my limited knowledge Yamaha FZ6 ...
Old 04-23-09, 05:21 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

^^Thanks everyone for your advice. I knew Philip had some great advice too..i quite frequently visit the car chat section and would always notice your Sig. lol ...nice bike dude!

Actually just to add a little more to my first post, i shouldve mentioned that i STILL have my 1996 Honda Shadow VLX 600 mint condition with just under
7k miles on her. Though i love that bike, I would also like to have a sports bike. The bikes that were mentioned above by you guys sound really cool, and I'll be reading up and doing some research on them.

MOTORCYCLES FTMFW!!
Old 04-23-09, 07:54 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

you can get mildly used, 07 cbr600rr for 6 to 7 grand. i never rode one yet, but i like the idea of electronic damper control. i rode the latest gen. gixxer. seating position is not bad for daily ride imo, and i can put my both feet flat on the ground (i'm 5' 11"). they both great bikes, whichever you like, i say GO FOR IT
Old 04-23-09, 10:22 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stvincent
you can get mildly used, 07 cbr600rr for 6 to 7 grand. i never rode one yet, but i like the idea of electronic damper control. i rode the latest gen. gixxer. seating position is not bad for daily ride imo, and i can put my both feet flat on the ground (i'm 5' 11"). they both great bikes, whichever you like, i say GO FOR IT
Thanks man!

Yea, I bet the CBR600rr is niiiice to ride, and i also like the idea of electric damper control.

Im gonna hold off and do my research and weigh the pros and cons before making that big step and buying another bike. Heck, i might just save the money and put that into my SC and my cruiser that I have already lol. But one of the main purposes of this thread was to get ideas on how people felt about the different bikes in the budget mentioned above. And so far you guys have been very helpful.
Old 04-23-09, 10:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by P Weezy
But my dream bike is a Ducati 1198
And just in case if you were curious, here is my review of the 1198S when I took it to Ortega Highway a few weeks back:

REVIEW: Test rode the 1198S today in Ortega Highway in SoCal.

Spectrum Motorsports in Irvine, CA had a Monster 646 and 1100S, an 848, and an 1198S for test rides through the canyon.

I took the bare bones 1198S (the 848 had a full Termi system). Appropriately red, with about 600 miles on the odometer.

MY REVIEW:

Jesus Christ, I popped a wheelie accelerating on first gear alone!!! Coming from a Multistrada, my 'Strada feels like a donkey and the 1198S feels like a magical unicorn. The power is just breathtakingly scary. I feared for the worst, and it was only thirty seconds into the thirty minute canyon run!!!

Within a few minutes, I began feeling comfortable with the bike. Highly spirited (not too severe, but enthusiastic) twisties encouraged high RPM frivolity. Brembo brakes were extremely confident and super-strong compared to the humble 'Strada. This was all expected. I was not confident enough to truly reach the limits of the bike (no, I did not engage Traction Control); hey, it's not my bike, and I'm on a public road. I was not ready to take responsibility of destroying the bike with one wrong move. To reach it's limits, the bike would feel at home in a racetrack.

And that's the problem. The bike is too much bike on the road. It was purely bred for track performance. The power delivery is sooo smooth, you're likely to cause trouble, or get into it. I did not realize that I passed 80 on a 45 mph road, and I was only in second gear. And I had a difficult time finding the rear brake lever; compared to the 'Strada, you really had to lift the foot into dorsiflexion to get your toes on it. The riding position is masochisistic, with most of your weight on your forearms on the handlebars, and your belly on the tank. I was feeling fatigued after 15 minutes of riding, and during the second half of the run, I eased up on the throttle and rode a bit more "civilized." Oddly enough, I was craving my 'Strada as soon as we got back to Ground Zero.

If I wanted a bike like this for near-everyday riding, an 848 would do. But I think the 1198S would be suited for (a) hardcore riders who take it to the track or (b) posers that want to show off their bikes when they ride it to a weekend meet and add only 20 miles on it a month. Since I do not fall into either of those categories, I'll keep my 'Strada instead...
Old 04-23-09, 10:41 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

And just in case if you were curious, here is my review of the 1198S when I took it to Ortega Highway a few weeks back:
Niiiice review Phil!! Very informative. That 1198S sounds like a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeast lol