Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More good new's regarding Ford

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 02:31 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking More good new's regarding Ford

Amid swirling rumors about the fate of the U.S. auto industry, Ford Motor Co., the only domestic carmaker not to rely on federal aid, reported a first-quarter loss of $1.4 billion, bettering analysts' expectations.

Although Ford's results were received enthusiastically on Wall Street, they were in great part overshadowed by reports that the Obama administration was preparing a bankruptcy filing for Chrysler and that General Motors Corp. was considering shuttering its Pontiac brand.In addition, the Treasury Department confirmed today that it had given GM an additional $2 billion in funding, raising the company's total federal loans to $15.4 billion to date.

"We appreciate President Obama's and his Administration's ongoing support of GM and the domestic U.S. auto industry as we undertake the difficult but necessary actions to reinvent our company," said GM in a statement.

Separately, the company said it had not announced any changes in its plans for Pontiac, calling reports of the brand's demise "media speculation." GM has been given until June 1 to restructure obligations to bondholders and the United Auto Workers union or face possible bankruptcy, but the administration has indicated it would support the automaker regardless.

The administration has made fewer promises for Chrysler, and unlike GM, it has not extended any further loans to the smallest U.S. automaker, although it has indicated it would be prepared to offer up to $500 million above the $4 billion the company has borrowed.

The administration gave Chrysler until this coming Friday to negotiate a merger with Italian automaker Fiat and work out deals to reduce obligations with debt holders and unions. Articles published in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal indicated that the Treasury's Autos Task Force had asked Chrysler to prepare a bankruptcy filing next week.

On Friday morning, Chrysler vice chairman Jim Press held a conference call with the automaker's more than 3,000 dealers to discuss the company's progress. He denied the reports and said that a bankruptcy filing was not imminent, according to dealers who took part in the call.

Press added that Steven Landry, Chrysler's executive vice president of sales and marketing, was in Washington negotiating the Fiat deal and that the company still hoped to finalize that by midnight on April 30, those dealers said.

Ford, for its part, remains the only U.S. automaker to eschew federal aid, and today continued to insist it would not need bailout loans from the government. It has kept its head above water in part because of an aggressive cost-cutting program, as well as deeper cash reserves.

In large part because of that, what was a substantial quarterly loss for Ford was viewed in a positive light.

With sales volumes at three-decade lows, Ford's revenue in the quarter declined 37%, to $24.8 billion, and the Dearborn, Mich., automaker lost $1.9 billion on its automotive operations.

Its overall 60-cents-per-share loss for the first quarter compared with a 3-cents-per-share profit, or $70 million, a year earlier. Analysts had expected a quarterly loss of about $1.23 per share.

The market reacted positively to the news, with Ford shares rising 11.4%, or 51 cents, to close at $5 even.

Ford's chief executive, Alan Mulally, said the company did not expect to require federal aid, instead claiming it will return to break even or profitability -- on its own -- by 2011.

"We do not expect to require a bridge loan from the U.S. government," Mulally said, unless there is an "unforeseen event" such as an "uncontrolled bankruptcy by a competitor."

Because Ford borrowed $23 billion from private lenders in late 2006, it has not suffered the same liquidity problems as its Detroit competitors, despite suffering similar sales declines.

That has also protected it from negative reaction on Wall Street. GM shares, which in the last year have traded at prices several times higher than those of Ford, closed up 7 cents at $1.69 on Monday. Ford's market capitalization stood at 12 times that of GM's.

Ford "is successfully differentiating itself from its wounded domestic competitors" said Efraim Levy, equity analyst at Standard & Poor's.

Still, Ford's results were far from glowing. Its cash burn for the quarter, a key measure of a company's viability and a hot point for Chrysler and GM over the last six months, was $3.7 billion, a level that analysts say is not sustainable over any period of time.

Ford's chief financial officer, Lewis Booth, indicated that the cash-burn rate would be the company's worst all year.

Ford finished the quarter with $21.3 billion in cash on hand.

Itay Michaeli, auto analyst at Citi Investment Research, noted that Ford also beat some expectations in the first quarter of 2008, only to go on to a miserable string of results that left it with a $14.8 billion loss for the year.

Based on that, and the prospect of continuing weak sales, he characterized Ford's shares as "too expensive" and maintained his sell rating.

In an interview this week, Ford's chairman, Bill Ford Jr., said the company "never really thought about" taking federal aid because the company believed it could go it alone.

That could prove a challenge if sales don't turn around. Ford's U.S. sales were down 43% in the first quarter, and its market share slipped slightly because of reduced sales to commercial and rental fleets.

Moreover, global sales, which have been a strong point for Ford in recent years, were down close to 20% in the quarter, according to Mulally, who said he expects total worldwide sales for 2009 to fall about 15%, which he termed a "record."

Some analysts contend that Ford would be forced to seek federal loans if sales continue at their current pace, roughly 30% below 2008's already weak volumes in the U.S.

Ford "believes it won't need government loans," said Shelly Lombard, debt analyst at research firm Gimme Credit, in a report last week. But "that depends not only on how low vehicle sales go this year, but also on when sales recover and what levels they recover to in 2010 and 2011."
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5579627.story
Old 04-24-09, 02:35 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I wish Ford success. They seem to have some impressive products coming such as the new Fusion, Taurus and Fiesta. Hopefully buyer confidence will be on the rebound in time for them to avoid burning through their cash reserves.
Old 04-24-09, 02:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's still a lot of bad news in above.
Old 04-24-09, 03:24 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
There's still a lot of bad news in above.
Compared to all the news coming out of GM and Chrysler, Ford's news is quite good.
Old 04-24-09, 03:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
Compared to all the news coming out of GM and Chrysler, Ford's news is quite good.
Yes, sad but true.
Old 04-24-09, 04:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And the sooner GM and Chrysler are out of their misery, the sooner worthy manufacturers, including Ford, can become profitable again. I wish them luck.
Old 04-24-09, 04:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go, Ford, Go!!!

I wish them the best. They've got the products that have a good balance of function and desirability (especially after getting rid of Aston, Jag, and LR). The products that have been coming out from Ford, Mazda, and Volvo have been very interesting; the public needs to pay more attention to these products.

I hope they progress further into the near future.
Old 04-25-09, 01:53 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I love Ford's revamped line-up. Can't wait for the Fiesta and Euro Focus to hit our shores. Also looking forward to the new Explorer and their new engines (3.5L Eco boost Twin Turbo and 6.2L V8)
Old 04-25-09, 03:48 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I'm very excited as to what's going on at Ford, the treatment at their dealerships is 1st rate!!

And check out the Ford Flex.... what a crossover!!!!
Old 04-25-09, 11:30 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
And the sooner GM and Chrysler are out of their misery, the sooner worthy manufacturers, including Ford, can become profitable again. I wish them luck.

You are kidding right? If GM and Chryco go bankrupt Ford almost certainly will be pulled in as well, there's this little known issue of everyone sharing the same struggling supplier base......................
Old 04-30-09, 04:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

My stock is up today. Almost $6. I am excited.
Old 04-30-09, 06:53 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
My stock is up today. Almost $6. I am excited.
me too i have 2k share's
Old 04-30-09, 07:01 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Indio
You are kidding right? If GM and Chryco go bankrupt Ford almost certainly will be pulled in as well, there's this little known issue of everyone sharing the same struggling supplier base......................
Evidently that was the panic du juor that Al and his homeys (who have or will shortly lose their jobs) were selling last year. Today, it isn't an issue. Go figure.

Ford says Chrysler bankruptcy filing won't affect its supply chain, or slow its restructuring

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. says it doesn't expect to experience disruptions in its supply chain due to Chrysler's bankruptcy filing.

The Dearborn, Mich.-based company is the only U.S. automaker operating without government loans. Ford says it is monitoring the situation, and while it hopes Chrysler's bankruptcy will be quick, it is making contingency plans should problems arise in the supply chain.

Ford says Chrysler's filing won't affect its own restructuring plans, which have the automaker cutting debt and labor costs.

Ford says it has had discussions with President Obama's auto task force related to the auto industry's supply chain, where a single supplier is likely to sell parts to several manufacturers.

http://www.startribune.com/business/44075107.html
Old 04-30-09, 07:03 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I wish Ford would bring the Focus edition they sell outside of the U.S., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_(international)
Old 04-30-09, 07:13 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
me too i have 2k share's
Oh...oh wow. I only have 100. But at least I tripled my money.

Quick Reply: More good new's regarding Ford