Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Kills A8 W12 and S8 for 2010 MY

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 06:29 PM
LexFather

Post Audi Kills A8 W12 and S8 for 2010 MY

But dropping the relatively rare and certainly over-the-top A8 W12 is a blow to lovers of simple excess and quirky technology alike. So too the death of the V10-powered S8. Though the Lamborghini-sourced mill will continue to power the S6 and the R8 V10, the sport big sedan slot in Audi's lineup will be vacant starting from the 2010 model year.

Small volume sales and large expenses related to the complex engines make the business decision easy, but that doesn't make it a bitter pill for enthusiasts. On the other hand, compared to competitors BMW and Mercedes Benz, the lack of a big and bad uber-sedan puts Audi at a competitive disadvantage - think S63 AMG and BMW 760i - and perhaps reflects new corporate cousin Porsche's desire to have a little more breathing room for its Panamera.

Source

Old 04-25-09, 07:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man, i can see w12, but why drop the s8 too...
Old 04-25-09, 08:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

that car setup in the pic is just gorgeous. oh well, economy sucks.
Old 04-25-09, 10:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

W12 is overkill. Its more a design exercise than a real world present day engine. You can make the same power with a turbo V6 or V8
Old 04-25-09, 11:07 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
man, i can see w12, but why drop the s8 too...
yeah, damn they had to can the S8
Old 04-25-09, 11:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The same reason they killed the W12. They can make just as much power with a smaller motor. In the future we will be leaving the " size matters " stuff for the bedroom. Displacement can be replaced by forced induction. The old saying " there is no replacement for displacment" is a thing of the past. I am still waiting for them to bring back the V6 vette. Slap a turbo on it and it will outdo a NA V8. 505hp of the Z06 is great, but not a lot considering the massive 7.3 liter motor. My GOD .... can you guys imagine how much power Nissan or Toyota could pull out of a 7.3 liter motor.
Old 04-26-09, 06:55 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi like BMW is going to start using more forced induction in the future to maintain power while improving fuel economy. New M5 is more than likely going to be a TT V-10
Old 04-26-09, 07:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The A8 is one beautiful machine.. I don't believe Audi has "killed" the W12.. This story has as much legs as the story about BMW no longer producing V12 engines remember that? To be tier 1 you have to be able to rumble with tier 1. Teir 1 in my book= V12, coupes, performance division, customization/individualization of factory vehicles available, just the creme de la creme of luxury motoring.
Old 04-26-09, 08:21 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

A8 and S8 will be one of the cars i own in the future...even if its used, i want one!
Old 04-26-09, 01:50 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
A8 and S8 will be one of the cars i own in the future...even if its used, i want one!
same here.

im trying to find the older A8/S8, cant really find one
Old 04-26-09, 01:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
+1 on that. I'd love to get an S8 used or not
Old 04-26-09, 02:38 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JessePS
same here.

im trying to find the older A8/S8, cant really find one
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
+1 on that. I'd love to get an S8 used or not
Make sure you go certified pre-owned and get the extended coverage..........Audi's are great to look at but are downright horrible for reliability. I've owned two (b6, b7 S4) and had nothing but problems!
Old 04-26-09, 03:50 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The same reason they killed the W12. They can make just as much power with a smaller motor. In the future we will be leaving the " size matters " stuff for the bedroom. Displacement can be replaced by forced induction. The old saying " there is no replacement for displacment" is a thing of the past. I am still waiting for them to bring back the V6 vette. Slap a turbo on it and it will outdo a NA V8. 505hp of the Z06 is great, but not a lot considering the massive 7.3 liter motor. My GOD .... can you guys imagine how much power Nissan or Toyota could pull out of a 7.3 liter motor.
Its not about power... Its about how that power is delivered... A 12 cylinder feels and drives quite differently to a V8 or V6... it is mechanically balanced and perfectly smooth, has a more linear power delivery... certainly is much more relaxed than a highly strung smaller engine being pushed to the limit to eek out the last HP...

Chris
Old 04-26-09, 05:08 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

The current trend is to extract more power and efficiency from smaller engines. And it's working. I believe the Audi decision to cancel these models is based on something like this. Perhaps they have a V6 or V8 with similar power but more efficiency in the works.

This reminds me, I think the folks back home in the States have also matured and grown up due to the hard times. A few days ago I was reading the comments section of the International Herald Tribune online dealing with the planned Mercedes E250 BlueEfficiency. This will apparently be a four cylinder gasoline- or diesel-powered E class that may be sold in the US. I discovered the article there by chance (I rarely read automotive news on IHT) but what caught my eye were the overwhelming positive responses from readers about it. Comments like "Bring it to the US and I'll be the first one to buy one! I only bought my E350 because there was no sub-E350 model available!" were plentiful. The people commenting on this vehicle really seemed to appreciate the projected fuel economy and luxury features more than raw performance. Several comments stated that the performance of this E250 is "completely sufficient".

The typical IHT reader strikes me as the educated and open-minded sort, hence I think their reaction represents quite a portion of the luxury market in the US. BMWs 525i has done fairly well. Yes, cheaper price is a factor but there are also people who don't care for power but want something the car offers. Comfort, style etc.

The motor downsizing trend is definitely coming to the US in my opinion. By force.
Old 04-26-09, 06:34 PM
LexFather

I am going to guess they will discontinue for a year or 2 and then bring them back with the new model coming next year.

Quick Reply: Audi Kills A8 W12 and S8 for 2010 MY