Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Geely doesn't copy . LMAO

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 04:46 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't even comment on the exterior, but the inside looks quite nice from a styling point of view - if it weren't for that fake tacky wood. I don't need to see this thing in real life to make that comment right here, right now.
Old 04-26-09, 06:27 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

What really bothers me about the Chinese is how they are so shameless about there ripoffs. Communism at work. They have no incentive to create new technologies and designs or take the lead in anything.

Hey, at least they have great crumple zones though.....

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4hLPauiyyQ

Old 04-27-09, 01:47 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
Seems kind of like you're perpetuating the stereotype as well? Please don't use one company to stereotype the whole country. Yes I know they aren't the only company out of China to copy, but they probably are the only company that believes they aren't copying when they are. The other companies are probably well aware and just trying to make a quick buck.

Again, bash the companies, their products and their execs, but please don't subject a 1billion+ population to stereotypes for the actions of a few. It's a pretty ignorant thing to do don't you think?
Sorry, I was too lazy to state definitively "some Chinese companies." I'm just waiting for something "revolutionary" to spawn and roll out from SAIC as far as the global automotive industry is concerned. Do you really think that they didn't know they were copying Rolls Royce? There seems to be much infringement on design patents in China and this seems to be a recurring issue there. And not just cars, it does span across more than one industry as you have already acknowledged. Just think consumer electronics. As part of the emerging BRIC countries and a growing global player, I'm hoping the Chinese government will step up to enforce international patents.
Old 04-27-09, 05:08 AM
legit
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JLSC4
What really bothers me about the Chinese is how they are so shameless about there ripoffs. Communism at work. They have no incentive to create new technologies and designs or take the lead in anything.

Hey, at least they have great crumple zones though.....

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4hLPauiyyQ

Well, to be fair.

New Corolla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdCn8...eature=related
New Geely
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8vapFtyrR0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdCn8...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LUaFmGoV9A
-they've got a bit more work to do but they've improved.
Old 04-27-09, 05:20 AM
LexFather

So let me get this right. Chrysler can make a blatant bentley/Rolls knock-off with the 300C but not Geely?

Old 04-27-09, 10:47 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Sorry, I was too lazy to state definitively "some Chinese companies." I'm just waiting for something "revolutionary" to spawn and roll out from SAIC as far as the global automotive industry is concerned. Do you really think that they didn't know they were copying Rolls Royce? There seems to be much infringement on design patents in China and this seems to be a recurring issue there. And not just cars, it does span across more than one industry as you have already acknowledged. Just think consumer electronics. As part of the emerging BRIC countries and a growing global player, I'm hoping the Chinese government will step up to enforce international patents.
It's cool, adding the word "companies" makes a world of difference when making statements like that though.
They probably knew, I'm in no way defending them on their actions or those actions of other companies that do the same.

People will get away with what they can though, this is evident all over the world. Just like those d-bag ponzi schemers. As for govt enforcement, it would definitely be nice as it would force them to create their own stuff as opposed to making a quick buck, but at the moment most of those Chinese entrepreneurs aren't as concerned with "being original" just yet as they are with making money.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So let me get this right. Chrysler can make a blatant bentley/Rolls knock-off with the 300C but not Geely?
Thank you for your objectivity.
Old 04-27-09, 01:01 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's wrong with that?

US good, China bad...

Old 04-27-09, 01:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be honest, they don't look like Bentleys/RRs unless you change the grille to a mesh one.
Old 04-27-09, 03:16 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by excluesive
found this on autoblog....

Love the single rear seat....ideal for the lonely Potentate.
Old 04-27-09, 05:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget about aerodynamics.
Old 04-27-09, 06:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its funny that some people think the Chrysler 300 looks like a Rolls Royce. Just because they both have prominent grilles does not mean they are similar in design. LMAO
Old 04-27-09, 09:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think its funny that some people think the Chrysler 300 looks like a Rolls Royce. Just because they both have prominent grilles does not mean they are similar in design. LMAO
Not RR, Bentley. Please read up on Mr. Giles, the head designer.

Originally Posted by Nextourer
To be honest, they don't look like Bentleys/RRs unless you change the grille to a mesh one.
The head designer said it the Bentley was his influence. I mean I like it, its aged well but its clearly a knock-off and people buy it in droves.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-27-09 at 11:05 PM.

Old 04-27-09, 10:41 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

LOL@ the one seat in the back!

hahahah!

this car is such a rip, i cant wait to see this car in california if it comes to the US.
Old 04-27-09, 11:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I love the single rear seat as well. They set it up in reverse Mc Laren style. 2 in front and 1 in the back. What a joke. A limo/luxury sedan that only carries one passenger and its short as hell.
Old 04-28-09, 07:34 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Really? Why not? Sounds like a double standard to me. Anytime anything on a Chinese made car that isn't a ripoff even slightly resembles ANYTHING, anything at all, not just other vehicles, they take **** for it no matter how ridiculous a claim it is. So what makes Chrysler exempt?

Last edited by JKA.nyc; 04-28-09 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Geely doesn't copy . LMAO