Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class Special Edition unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 08:23 AM
LexFather

Post Mercedes-Benz A-Class Special Edition unveiled

Mercedes-Benz is ushering in the spring with a new special model of the A-Class. With design features reserved only for this edition, plus extensive, high-grade appointments, the Special Edition 2009 is not only eye-catching. It also combines the well-proven basic virtues of this compact Mercedes-Benz model with more than a touch of passion. This exclusive new model variant in the A-Class is available now.

To date the A-Class with its distinctive and versatile concept has captured the hearts of around 1.8 million customers. The strengths of this true trendsetter above all include a generous, variable interior despite compact external dimensions, a high level of reliability, impressive safety and environmentally friendly engines. The new special model in the A-Class has an emotionally appealing, enhanced appearance for a combination of the excitingly sensible with the sporty and attractive.

The unmistakable, striking appearance of the special model is characterised by exclusive features such as the black radiator louvres, 16-inch titanium silver light-alloy wheels in a new 9-spoke design (tyre size 195/55 R16) and a "Special Edition" badge on the mirror triangle. Standard exterior features also include fog lamps and a free choice of metallic paint finish.

In the interior, the special status of the Special Edition 2009 is emphasised by a two-tone color scheme in black and gray, carefully finished, high-grade materials and stylish features. These include dedicated, shiny black trim with a pattern and black velour floor mats with gray edging and an embroidered Edition label. The multifunction steering wheel, shift/selector lever and parking brake handle are lined in leather. The appointments also include an Audio 20 radio with CD player and Bluetooth hands-free system and the Light and Sight package with a rain sensor, automatically dimming rear-view mirror, an illuminated vanity mirror in the sun visor, separately adjustable reading lights in the rear, a reading light for the driver and illuminated front footwells. A Seating Comfort package is also standard equipment, with a height-adjustable front passenger seat, seat cushion angle adjustment and lumbar supports for the driver and front passenger.

The extensive standard appointments of the new special model amount to a price advantage of 36 percent.

The advantages of the Special Edition 2009 are available for all model variants of the A-Class. Including the versions equipped as standard with the BlueEFFICIENCY package, which e.g. further improves engine efficiency, aerodynamics, rolling resistance, energy management and weight in the A 160 CDIBlueEFFICIENCY saloon. With an output of 60 kW/82 hp, it consumes only 4.5 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres, with CO2 emissions of 119 grams per kilometre. The A-Class is also the first compact car to have been awarded an environmental certificate according to the stringent, international ISO standard 14062.

The new Special Edition 2009 of the A-Class is a limited edition of 5,500 units.

Old 04-26-09, 12:36 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like someone slapped a Benz grille and emblems on a Honda Fit.
Old 04-26-09, 12:59 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this coming to the US?

IIRC, they don't actually get sold in the US, but i did see an old one a while back, it made me laugh seeing it, like a Luxury Smart.
Old 04-26-09, 01:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

So the Germans have to take the same stance in every category in the market. Now they will have an over priced contender in the micro car class. It definetly looks like a luxury smart. To bad the smart car didnt sell to well here
Old 04-26-09, 01:45 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

There is absolutely no size comparison to the Smart; The A is much larger and is marketed as a premium small car.
Old 04-26-09, 01:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Decent looking interior
Old 04-26-09, 04:44 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

They're actually quite decent cars. Overpriced? Yes, it's a Mercedes after all, but at the same time they continually get high marks for safety and I believe come with some features that are not available on the competition. What those features are, I don't know. In Europe the A class rivals the Golf, 1 series and A3 from Audi. Nevertheless, small premium sedans are a good move for Europe because space is limited (parking spaces, garage spaces etc.) and also because of expensive fuel prices. These cars sell with people who mainly live in the city but don't really want to miss out on a premium car, so I gather.

My wife's parents have the Benz B class and it is actually quite practical from what I gather. Small on the outside, spacious on the inside, large trunk, refined motor and very comfortable. I never drove it, but I've ridden inside it on at least a dozen occasions and I can only, a passenger, praise it. It's not small at all. The IS250 of my sister is more cramped inside than a B class.
Old 04-26-09, 05:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Looks like someone slapped a Benz grille and emblems on a Honda Fit.
That is the first thing I thought when I saw it...
Old 04-26-09, 07:07 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

at least we know where Honda got the inspiration from
Old 04-26-09, 07:51 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
They're actually quite decent cars. Overpriced? Yes, it's a Mercedes after all, but at the same time they continually get high marks for safety and I believe come with some features that are not available on the competition. What those features are, I don't know. In Europe the A class rivals the Golf, 1 series and A3 from Audi. Nevertheless, small premium sedans are a good move for Europe because space is limited (parking spaces, garage spaces etc.) and also because of expensive fuel prices. These cars sell with people who mainly live in the city but don't really want to miss out on a premium car, so I gather.

My wife's parents have the Benz B class and it is actually quite practical from what I gather. Small on the outside, spacious on the inside, large trunk, refined motor and very comfortable. I never drove it, but I've ridden inside it on at least a dozen occasions and I can only, a passenger, praise it. It's not small at all. The IS250 of my sister is more cramped inside than a B class.
Indeed, the B-Class is quite a comfortable car. You sit nice and high like an SUV but ride on a hatchback platform. I had the base B200 without the sport package and the suspension is a little soft. Mine only had the "premium package" as an option which adds heated front seats, panoramic roof, and wood trim among other things. It had a cloth interior and felt quite comfortable too.

Up here, the version I drove as equipped is similar to a Camry SE V6 or an Accord EX-L 4 cylinder but it is a Mercedes after all.

I presume this A-Class is just as comfortable (just like the Honda Fit)
Old 04-26-09, 07:53 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I loved the A-Class when I lived in Mexico.
Old 04-27-09, 03:31 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Indeed, the B-Class is quite a comfortable car. You sit nice and high like an SUV but ride on a hatchback platform. I had the base B200 without the sport package and the suspension is a little soft. Mine only had the "premium package" as an option which adds heated front seats, panoramic roof, and wood trim among other things. It had a cloth interior and felt quite comfortable too.

Up here, the version I drove as equipped is similar to a Camry SE V6 or an Accord EX-L 4 cylinder but it is a Mercedes after all.

I presume this A-Class is just as comfortable (just like the Honda Fit)

I hardly know much about the A class other than that it is very practical and versatile. You can move and fold the seats about inside that car and create more space that way. I've seen people transport two to three bicycles in them. Quite a feat for a such a small car.

And yes, the B class is very comfortable. I can tell that the suspension is very soft and the car probably isn't the best handler, but I suppose people don't buy a B class for sporty purposes. What I liked best about the B class of my in-laws is the comfort and refinement (quiet engine with hardly any vibrations).
Old 04-27-09, 04:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No thanks, wouldn't be my favorite vehicle for driving in California.
Old 04-27-09, 04:51 PM
GS3Tek

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
No thanks, wouldn't be my favorite vehicle for driving in California.
Why?
What's wrong driving between 2 SUVs with people yapping/texting on their phone while the puppy is jumping on the lap???

Best case scenario you don't need a casket