Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan by Carlsson

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 05:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i am actually wondering about that. on the new e class on the road, i see their led (fogs?) on all the time, but i don't see DRL. does that mean those led i see are actually the DRL? i believe all new cars these days need to have DRL
Not sure, I didn't notice the lighting on the few new E's I've seen on the road so far. But probably what you are seeing are DRL's.

DRL's are not a requirement in the US for current production. In the US market, my experience with Mercedes is that they are currently driver-selectable (with easy to follow directions in owners manual to program them).
Old 07-27-09, 08:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not sure, I didn't notice the lighting on the few new E's I've seen on the road so far. But probably what you are seeing are DRL's.

DRL's are not a requirement in the US for current production. In the US market, my experience with Mercedes is that they are currently driver-selectable (with easy to follow directions in owners manual to program them).
oh really? i thought since 2001 or something DRL has been a requirement on all new production cars. maybe i got it mixed up with canada

but yeah, i saw a few new E here and they are all running with just the LED. to me if they are DRL they are probably a bit too low, but then i don't see anything in the headlight areas during the day, so i am very confused too

maybe someone else can chime in with more info
Old 07-27-09, 09:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh really? i thought since 2001 or something DRL has been a requirement on all new production cars. maybe i got it mixed up with canada

but yeah, i saw a few new E here and they are all running with just the LED. to me if they are DRL they are probably a bit too low, but then i don't see anything in the headlight areas during the day, so i am very confused too

You are thinking mandatory DRL's in Canada. When you drive in Canada on a busy freeway you will notice a sea of lights in the daytime, since every car has DRL's. And in Europe I read they are about to become mandatory soon, with strict standards on light output (rather low output), etc.

What you see in the US is a hodgepodge of some cars with no DRLs, some cars with orange DRLs (even mixed with turn signals, a real no-no), no consistent standard in place so far.
Old 07-27-09, 10:32 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it is not required. My X5 and E63 had the DRLs turned off when we got the cars. I turned on the X5 lights because I have blue angle-eyes that look really nice when used as a DRL compared to the stock yellow color.
Old 07-27-09, 11:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah oops, sorry about that, so it's canada that i read about