Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz CL 500 *100 years of the trademark* Anniversary Edition unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 08:31 AM
LexFather

Post Mercedes-Benz CL 500 *100 years of the trademark* Anniversary Edition unveiled

Mercedes-Benz is releasing a special edition CL Coupe to celebrate the 100th anniversary of their famed three-point star and emblem logos. The Mercedes-Benz CL 500 comes in a designo collection paint, and prominently features the two logos in the center console, crafted from gilded plate brass.

The car itself includes a new AMG Sports package, which includes new front and rear aprons, with brushed stainless steel side skirts and pedals. The pedals are also studded in black rubber, so your shoe doesn't slip when you thrust the accelerator. Take a look at the high resolution photo of the wheel, and you will see silver-painted brake calipers with the company name emblazoned on them. They are contained by new 20-inch twin five-spoke anniversary edition wheels made from a light-alloy. The titanium grey wheels will only be available on the special edition, and feature the combined Mercedes star and Benz laurel wreath at the center.

Inside, drivers and passengers are welcomed with high-quality hand-stitched leather. Tanned to a "light sand colour," the stitching used creates a high-contrast look. Where it gets a little odd is the use of a dark grey leather on the wheel -with dark wood- and dash, combined with piano black lacquer and an "anthracite Alcantara roof lining." Floor mats are also black, with AMG written in a sand color on them. The brown-black contrast may be unappealing to some, but surely others will like the idea. Everybody inside gets the benefits of a six-disc DVD changer with surround-sound, with splitview. An upgraded COMAND APS system includes an SD card slot and a USB port.

What this 388 hp car is meant to do is celebrate "100 years of the trademark." Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft registered the Mercedes three-point star on June 24, 1909. Six weeks later, August Benz & Cie. registered there trademark: the word "Benz" surrounded by the laurel. One hundred years later, the two symbols are still iconic, reflecting both quality and performance, and landing the company at number 10 on BusinessWeek's "World's Best Brands" list.

You can order the special edition Mercedes-Benz CL 500 or CL 500 4Matic for €17,850 over the base price of the two vehicles. This brings the total sticker price to €137,445 with 4Matic, or €132,863 without. Prices include Germany's 19% sales tax.

Quote, originally posted by Daimler »
Special CL 500 model: "100 years of the trademark" - Anniversary edition with exclusive appointments

This year Mercedes-Benz is celebrating the one hundredth birthday of the Mercedes three-pointed star and the Benz emblem with a particularly exclusive edition of the CL Coupé. This anniversary model shines with an extensive package of appointments and exquisite details. These include an elegant paint finish from the designo collection, a new AMG Sports package, top-class leather, black piano lacquer trim and beautifully executed emblems of the original trademarks inset into the centre console. These are accurate reproductions of the emblems that Daimler Motorengesellschaft and Benz & Cie registered as trademarks one hundred years ago, forming the basis for the Mercedes star. With this special edition, Mercedes-Benz is adding even more individuality to the luxury coupé, and showing that even the best can still be perfected.

The histories of the Mercedes star and the Benz laurel wreath began independently of each other: on 24 June 1909Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft officially registered the design of the Mercedes star, and on 6 August Benz & Cie. registered the letters "Benz", enclosed by a laurel wreath, as a trademark with the Imperial Patent Office. The fact that both vehicle makers registered their new trademarks in the summer of 1909 appears in retrospect as a parallel to the year 1886. That was the year when, again independently of each other, Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz invented the automobile. Twenty-three years later the two companies, competitors at the time, created new brand symbols which promptly appeared as a badge and device on their respective vehicles.

On 18 February 1925 - more than a year prior to the merger of Daimler and Benz on 28 June 1926 - the two brands registered the new joint logo: Daimler's Mercedes star set within Benz's laurel wreath. From this the trademark of Mercedes-Benz, valid to this day, developed.

The CL-Class has been acknowledged as a masterpiece of automobile engineering since its inception. It combines the comfort of a prestigious luxury saloon with the dynamism of a sports car, with a captivating design and trailblazing high-tech features. With its exclusive appointments, the special "100 years of the trademark" model underlines the special status of the CL.

The crowning highlights of the anniversary edition are the historic trademarks dating from 1909 in gilded plate brass, which are inset into the centre console. Together with the designo metallic graphite paint finish these accentuate the model's exquisitely luxurious character. Sporty visual touches are provided by the new AMGSports package with muscular front and rear aprons, side skirts and sports pedals of brushed stainless steel with black rubber studs, plus painted brake callipers with Mercedes-Benz lettering. The anniversary edition also includes high-sheen 20-inch 5 twin-spoke AMGlight-alloy wheels painted in titanium grey, which are only available for this special CL-Class model. They are shod with 255/35 R 20 tyres at the front and 275/35 R 20 at the rear.

The interior is fitted with exquisite, partly hand-stitched designo aniline leather with contrasting seams in a light sand colour. The high-quality wood/leather steering wheel harmonises with the interior trim in shining black piano lacquer and the anthracite Alcantara roof lining. The black floor mats with AMGlettering feature sand-coloured edging.

The 285 kW/388 hp special CL 500 model "100 years of the trademark" is equipped with all the new features of model year 2009. These include new exterior mirrors with larger lenses, an eye-catching indicator design in LED technology and improved aerodynamics, a new, upgraded telematics generation with a further development of COMAND APS, an SD card slot in the centre console and a USBinterface in the glove compartment. The Front Seat Entertainment package is also available as an option, with a 6-disc DVDchanger, surround-sound system and SPLITVIEW. This innovative display technology enables the driver and front passenger to view different content on the same display at the same time. On request a universal Media Interface is available
for connecting mobile audio devices.

The special "100 years of the trademark" model can be ordered with immediate effect, and will be available from 26 June as the CL 500 and CL 500 4MATIC. The extra price for the extensive and highly desirable additional appointments is 17,850 Euro incl. 19% German VAT.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/90...ealed

Old 04-26-09, 08:33 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is just sooooooooooooooo....

Damn, if only I could afford that
Old 04-26-09, 09:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

that is just STUNNING...
Old 04-26-09, 01:31 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simply gorgeous....
Old 04-26-09, 06:12 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always loved the CL, I just wish that Lexus would come up with something similar.
Old 04-26-09, 06:14 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

goodness that's nice.
Old 04-26-09, 06:30 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Old 04-27-09, 07:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

CL's are just stunning coupes.
Old 04-27-09, 07:57 AM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

CL's are even more stunning in person.

Love them.
Old 04-27-09, 07:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Nice !! but I still like the design of the previous generation CL-class better, I don't particularly like the front and rear of this current CL. The side-view looks good though.

I am usually more of a coupe person, but I prefer to just have the S-class(particular the facelifted 2010 version) rather than this CL because of the looks, which is rare for me.
The interior of this car is

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-27-09 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-27-09, 07:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

CLs are definitely my favorite MB
Old 04-27-09, 08:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I have always loved the CL, I just wish that Lexus would come up with something similar.
I would like to see a large LS-based coupe too, but the CL class is always a small volume seller, they sell less of them than the SL, and Toyota/Lexus usually don't bother making small volume cars, so the chance of a large LS-based coupe is remote IMO
Old 04-27-09, 08:12 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

That is fantastic. Maybe I could find a used one in about 5 years. I presume this will not be available in the us? Also, I may have missed something, but the German version is not a 550?
Old 04-27-09, 08:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
That is fantastic. Maybe I could find a used one in about 5 years. I presume this will not be available in the us? Also, I may have missed something, but the German version is not a 550?
The CL500 has the exact same 5.5L engine as the CL550, N.America is the only place in the world they call the car CL550 (same for the S550 and SL550), they still call them CL500/S500/sl500 in the rest of the world because they see the "500" designation as a tradition. But you see, America is the place where the bigger is better ...
Old 04-27-09, 09:38 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

1 of the nicest cars on the PLANET!

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz CL 500 *100 years of the trademark* Anniversary Edition unveiled