Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The other "F" models...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 08:16 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
Um, they finished 7th in class and 121st overall.
I was referring to last year

Lexus' race-prepped LF-A prototype crashed during their final late-night preparations and qualifying, before the start of the Nürburgring 24-hour race. The incident damaged the car, and squelched Team LF-A's efforts to familiarize themselves with driving night-time laps on the 'Ring. No specifics were available on the circumstances of the crash (did we say it was really, really dark?), but the LF-A limped back to the pits with damage to its lower front fender, and a serious gash to its rear quarter—both on the driver's-side. The damage was serious enough to force Team LF-A to load the car onto a flat-bed and leave the pits, in favor of Toyota's off-site 'Ring workshop used during the industry testing periods.
As the team was preoccupied with their banged up prototype, our shooter managed to scoop some revealing looks at some key LF-A details, including the LF-A's V-10 engin. In addition to what we engine shot, we also managed to get our best interior shots to date. Once again, despite the stripped-down nature of this race car's innards, the interior still shows some key details that point to the production-spec interior. And as reported earlier, the interior will clearly take major cues from the last LF-A concept from Lexus. Other interesting details gathered during Team LF-A's post-crash scramble to assess the damage: the LF-A's lovely carbon-fiber aerodynamic undertray, the operation of the car's horizontally-mounted door handles, and the car's Brembo brakes and front suspension set-up.

Team LF-A sources said that, in order to recover from the crash, they managed a mere two-hours sleep to get the car ready for the race the next day. The LF-A managed to make the starting grid, but within the first hour of the race the car began smoking from the rear, forcing a pit stop. The diagnosis was oil leaking from the transaxle, and a two-hour fix was required to get the LF-A back under way. At that point the LF-A had little hope of climbing the leader board. Amid varied reports on the LF-A's final results, our sources tell us that the Lexus covered 106 laps, and a best lap of 9:19.757 on lap 85. The LF-A's performance was good enough to finish in 120th place overall.
Old 04-26-09, 08:30 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Toyota filed for Patents for various technologies on the LFA and hired engineers from where I work for suspension dynamics and tuning, they're not cheap either for R&D...
Its coming its a matter of when...
Bud, I was reinterating the words of MR F1, I have my name on the waiting list right now to get one at my dealer. I have plenty of info from people here in Japan that this car will be coming out, most of it is posted in the thread below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...layed-124.html
Old 04-26-09, 10:04 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
I was referring to last year
It has only raced once. We are talking about the same race.
Old 04-26-09, 11:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When your sales are down 40% and you're losing billions, building a supercar and putting it into production (although limited) is the last thing on your mind. LF-A will never go into production!
When will this nonsense ever end? It doesn't matter Toyota is losing money *now*, Toyota thinks about the LONG TERM.

Yes, the LF-A WILL go into production, and I will save this thread along with a growing collection of other threads. When the LF-A production car hits, I will enthusiastically post links of all these threads of all the people who said it would never hit production just to see everyone eat their words.
Old 04-27-09, 03:51 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
When will this nonsense ever end? It doesn't matter Toyota is losing money *now*, Toyota thinks about the LONG TERM.

Yes, the LF-A WILL go into production, and I will save this thread along with a growing collection of other threads. When the LF-A production car hits, I will enthusiastically post links of all these threads of all the people who said it would never hit production just to see everyone eat their words.

What difference does it make? Look, we're on the same team here folks........I mean I drive an IS-F for crying out loud and I hope you're right about the LF-A! Lexus is in trouble, sales are down and dealerships are giving away new IS-F's for 45k! So what's the cure for an ailing automotive market during the worst recession in 70 years? Why putting a $300,000 dollar supercar into production of course!

Last edited by LexFather; 04-27-09 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 06:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

There is no way that Toyota would be able to regain the money lost on the development of the LFA , even if it came to market. These types of car are more statements to the world that they are now in a new realm. when you produce a supercar the world views you differently. I guess the GTR will have to do for now
Old 04-27-09, 08:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

this forum doesn't think highly of going off topic!
Or negativity............... *cough* Everyone play nice.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-27-09 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 08:54 PM
LexFather

Guys enough with the personal attacks.