Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

KBB Top 10 Green Cars for '09 (Updated for 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 05:17 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post KBB Top 10 Green Cars for '09 (Updated for 2011)

1. 2010 Toyota Prius
2. 2010 Honda Insight
3. 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
4. 2009 VW Jetta SportsWagen TDI
5. 2009 Mini Cooper
6. 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid
7. 2009 Honda Fit
8. 2009 BMW 335d
9. 2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
10. 2009 Chevy Silverado Hybrid

KBB
Old 04-26-09, 05:24 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where's the Camry Hybrid? For a spacious car (compared to all the compact cars on the list), it does a pretty good job providing gas efficiency.
Old 04-26-09, 05:47 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Where's the Camry Hybrid? For a spacious car (compared to all the compact cars on the list), it does a pretty good job providing gas efficiency.
The Fusion easily beats it. Notice they only take one vehicle from each segment.
I still can't believe how Ford has accomplished this. 41 mpg in the Fusion hybrid, 34 in the Camry hybrid. The Fusion almost matches the dedicated hybrid Insight which is smaller and shaped weird for FE! Amazing.

Notice the Silverado is there even though it's still a relative gas guzzler and certainly not "green". I have a Yaris which beats all but the top 3 hybrids in FE and it's not there.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 04-26-09 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-26-09, 06:34 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4
The Fusion easily beats it. Notice they only take one vehicle from each segment.
I still can't believe how Ford has accomplished this. 41 mpg in the Fusion hybrid, 34 in the Camry hybrid. The Fusion almost matches the dedicated hybrid Insight which is smaller and shaped weird for FE! Amazing.

Notice the Silverado is there even though it's still a relative gas guzzler and certainly not "green". I have a Yaris which beats all but the top 3 hybrids in FE and it's not there.
i had a yaris too, it doesnt even get close to the jetta tdi's mpg
Old 04-26-09, 07:03 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

cool to see some turbos in there
Old 04-26-09, 07:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
i had a yaris too, it doesn't even get close to the jetta tdi's mpg
OK, going by EPA ratings it's 33 combined for the Yaris vs. 34 combined for the TDI. Doesn't come close? And I average close to 40 mpg even with some city driving. So you owned both cars?

But have you forgotten the price premium for diesel? Right now gas is around $2.05/gal, diesel is about $2.23 and the gap increases as fuel prices rise.
Old 04-26-09, 08:25 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

OK, going by EPA ratings it's 33 combined for the Yaris vs. 34 combined for the TDI. Doesn't come close? And I average close to 40 mpg even with some city driving. So you owned both cars?

But have you forgotten the price premium for diesel? Right now gas is around $2.05/gal, diesel is about $2.23 and the gap increases as fuel prices rise.
1. In the "real" world, a Jetta TDI has no problem averaging 50mpg. I have a friend with a 2001 Golf TDI who runs on bio-diesel - he has no problem averaging 45mpg on trips back and forth between Berkeley/Davis. I have seen the MFA computer display on the dash for myself. In fact, these cars have been averaging this mileage for about fifteen years now. The Fusion hybrid is a great car, but remember - There was a Passat TDI available in 2004 that could pull 45MPG, while seating you in what is essentially a stretched Audi A4.. The Fusion is nice - the overall packaging is still not equal to the old Passat, especially on the interior. Bottom line, the EPA figures are vastly underrated for the Jetta "TDI".

2. You seem to have "forgotten" that fuel prices vary by geography - Diesel gasoline is at parity with petrol in many locations around the country.

Last edited by FKL; 04-26-09 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 03:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
1. In the "real" world, a Jetta TDI has no problem averaging 50mpg. I have a friend with a 2001 Golf TDI who runs on bio-diesel - he has no problem averaging 45mpg on trips back and forth between Berkeley/Davis. I have seen the MFA computer display on the dash for myself. In fact, these cars have been averaging this mileage for about fifteen years now. The Fusion hybrid is a great car, but remember - There was a Passat TDI available in 2004 that could pull 45MPG, while seating you in what is essentially a stretched Audi A4.. The Fusion is nice - the overall packaging is still not equal to the old Passat, especially on the interior. Bottom line, the EPA figures are vastly underrated for the Jetta "TDI".

2. You seem to have "forgotten" that fuel prices vary by geography - Diesel gasoline is at parity with petrol in many locations around the country.
I know, nobody beats VW....

Comparing diesels to gas cars is like comparing hybrids to straight gas. Anyone can build a diesel, but the government stops them because they still think they are "dirty". Toyota builds a diesel Yaris that gets over 55 mpg but of course we don't get it.

Anyone know why certain diesel models are allowed in?
Old 04-27-09, 05:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL

If the TDIs were so great, people would buy them. They are nice options to have but consumers clearly don't want them here.

Its amazing to me how people love to ignore EPA ratings and come up with their own ratings. It should be a mix of both.

You don't see me going around saying "my hybrid gets 33 MPG" b/c on that one trip for whatever reason, that one time, it did. That is not normal.

The BMW 335d is amazing. Shame it costs 55k Using the same "hate hybrid" math diesel lovers use, it would take aproximately 3,457 light years to make your money back on it.

Old 04-27-09, 05:48 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If the TDIs were so great, people would buy them. They are nice options to have but consumers clearly don't want them here.

Its amazing to me how people love to ignore EPA ratings and come up with their own ratings. It should be a mix of both.

You don't see me going around saying "my hybrid gets 33 MPG" b/c on that one trip for whatever reason, that one time, it did. That is not normal.

The BMW 335d is amazing. Shame it costs 55k Using the same "hate hybrid" math diesel lovers use, it would take aproximately 3,457 light years to make your money back on it.
Because the Prius does what Toyota does best, steal the spot light.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q91b-AIk-00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2M2S...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjerEHoMBAM
Old 04-27-09, 09:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fun facts if nothing else.
Old 04-27-09, 10:11 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know, nobody beats VW....

Comparing diesels to gas cars is like comparing hybrids to straight gas. Anyone can build a diesel, but the government stops them because they still think they are "dirty". Toyota builds a diesel Yaris that gets over 55 mpg but of course we don't get it.

Anyone know why certain diesel models are allowed in?
In CA and other states using CA emissions standards Mercedes BlueTec and the newest VW TDIs(based on Mercedes technology) is allowed - however MB has said the E320 CDI will be made available in Cali ONLY on a 3-year lease. Of course the Ford Super Duty, Ram 2500/3500 and Silverado/Sierra HD have a diesel option but are classified as trucks.

I pulled up by a Dodge Sprinter BlueTec CDI, it sounded quiet and there was no diesel smell. Mercedes sure knows its diesels
Old 04-27-09, 10:25 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is this just for running cost or did they calculate how much energy it takes to produce also?
Old 04-14-11, 07:55 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post 2011

Kelley Blue Book has released its annual Top 10 Green Cars list, which looks to balance "safety, creature comforts and driving enjoyment" with fuel efficiency derived from modern EV, hybrid and plug-in hybrid technologies, as well as overachieving gasoline and diesel powertrains. In other words, KBB is ranking the best cars that are also ultra-fuel-efficient​, rather than resorting to straight fuel-economy number-crunching.

And the winners are:

1. Nissan Leaf: KBB calls this "the 1st all-electric car for the masses," and notes that not only is its reported fuel-efficiency equivalent of 99 mpg incredibly environmentally friendly, but that "recycled materials made from home appliances, old car parts and plastic bottles are used extensively throughout the vehicle."
2. Chevy Volt: If the Leaf was 1st, the Volt must have been 2nd; KBB notes that each green vehicle serves a different set of driver needs and that the Volt "looks like a tasteful vision of the future -- inside and out -- and is 1 of the most fun to drive EVs we've driven so far" while delivering a fuel-efficiency equivalent of 93 mpg.
3. Toyota Prius: The longstanding green car of record. KBB appreciates that achieving excellent fuel efficiency in the Prius does not require an overhaul of driving habits, as with some other vehicles.
4. Lexus CT 200h: A sporty-looking premium hatchback, delivering both Lexus' standard for quality and luxury and a 42 mpg combined fuel-efficiency rating.
5. Honda Insight: The Insight dropped $1,000 from the sticker price of last year's model, making it, at $18,950, the most affordable hybrid on the market.
6. Ford Fusion Hybrid: Take the already-popular Fusion sedan, then add a hybrid powertrain that increases the combined fuel economy to an impressive 39 mpg, and KBB calls the Fusion Hybrid a success.
7. Volkswagen Golf TDI: The 2.0-liter turbodiesel engine doesn't just deliver an impressive 42 mpg highway, it does so with the grunt, pep and pickup that many drivers relish.
8. Hyundai Elantra: "In addition to the impressive efficiency, we’re fans of the all-new Elantra’s bold sheet metal, stylish interior and attractive list of standard and optional features," KBB says.
9. Fiat 500: The 500 marks Fiat's return to the U.S. after 27 years, and while the tiny 101-horsepower engine should deliver a bit better than 30 mpg city/38 mpg highway, the 500 packs a lot of charm into its subcompact frame.
10. Ford Focus: Euro styling, impressive handling and Ford's commitment to high tech at all price points make this a great small car for everyone, KBB says, but for the green-minded, the SFE package will increase the highway fuel efficiency to a solid 40 mpg.
Old 04-14-11, 08:15 PM
LexFather

Thanks for the update, title edited.

Quick Reply: KBB Top 10 Green Cars for '09 (Updated for 2011)