Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM announces new VIABILITY plan. Pontiac RIP (by 2010) G8 dead in 2009

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 04:52 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess we can get use to seeing Chinese cars branded as Saturn.
Old 04-27-09, 04:54 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Definitely Pontiac. But if I had to guess, the intention of the government is to let us taxpayers go further into debt to build a new Buick plant in China and then Buick will be sold to the Chinese leaving only Chevy, Caddy, and GMC.
Old 04-27-09, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Fair question, what's going to be dead first Pontiac or UAW?
Well, the UAW outlasted Packard, Hudson, Edsel, Checker, De Soto, Studebaker, American Motors, Avanti, Eagle, Plymouth, and Oldsmobile. I think you can answer your own question.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-09 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 05:03 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pontiac has been dead for years..........GTO, G8 Horrible attempts at producing a car with relevance in today's market!

Good riddance!
Old 04-27-09, 05:06 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

^^ GTO maybe, but G8 is a honest-to-god good effort by GM.
Old 04-27-09, 05:45 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe.........but it's all a moot point now
Old 04-27-09, 05:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, the UAW outlasted Packard, Hudson, Edsel, Checker, De Soto, Studebaker, American Motors, Avanti, Eagle, Plymouth, and Oldsmobile. I think you can answer your own question.
Agreed, UAW will just be a relic of the past and toothless.
Old 04-27-09, 06:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea shouldve did this 6 months ago, instead of blowing billions of our taxpayer dollars on delaying the inevitable and making a deal with the devil (govt)
Should have been done 10 years ago.
NO, and NO! it should NEVER have been done this way. if it goes this way, how fair is it for Ford to compete with a larger company that has the backing of the u.s. govt?

we're going to be just like france (nissan), italy (fiat), britain (you name it, but mainly the awful british leyland years ago)...

we have wasted 10s of billions AND will waste 10s or 100s more AND we'll hurt competition. it couldn't be any worse.
Old 04-27-09, 06:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it would be easier if, like toyota, GM was just GM and Cadillac. They could distribute the best selling models over the 2 brands and trim the rest of the fat
Old 04-27-09, 06:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
GM needs only two divisions: Chevrolet and Cadillac.
agreed!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How these bozos can phase out Pontiac and yet keep GMC, a far more worthless brand, is beyond me.
agreed again!

Originally Posted by toy4two
wait my head is still spinning, they are going to go bankrupt and remerge with the UAW union still there? Are you freaking kidding me? WOW
yup.

Agreed, UAW will just be a relic of the past and toothless.
no it won't be it will be more powerful than ever, a HUGE shareholder in GM.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think it would be easier if, like toyota, GM was just GM and Cadillac. They could distribute the best selling models over the 2 brands and trim the rest of the fat
makes a lot of sense. that's why it won't happen.
Old 04-27-09, 06:13 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If I'm right on the ultimate fate of Buick, I think we actually get to what you are talking about. I think GMC is mainly being kept and separate for it's commercial trucks. Think 18-wheelers and big commercial stuff, small amount of pickups. If Buick is spiffed up and sold to the Chinese, you will have Chevy and Caddy as the car brands.
Old 04-27-09, 06:15 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
NO, and NO! it should NEVER have been done this way. if it goes this way, how fair is it for Ford to compete with a larger company that has the backing of the u.s. govt?

we're going to be just like france (nissan), italy (fiat), britain (you name it, but mainly the awful british leyland years ago)...

we have wasted 10s of billions AND will waste 10s or 100s more AND we'll hurt competition. it couldn't be any worse.
Wouldn't it have been nice if they would have let ChryCo and GM sink or swim on their own but made some out and out grants to Ford to make them more competitive? Not saying F won't end up in trouble but at least there is a real chance there.
Old 04-27-09, 06:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just think its ridiculous how many arms GM has, and how many models they sell. They are constantly coming out with new products and still failed. They need to stop trying to make any and every type of car and focus on the cars that drive the markets
Old 04-27-09, 07:15 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Everyone seems to agree that the G8 is a good car, but is it? How many people on this forum have crossed over and went with a G8?

It's may be a good car, but it seems like in reality, it wasn't good enough. I remember reading 1SICK was considering the G8 as his next car, but sadly it didn't cut it. I'm sure other people came to the same conclusion. "Good car, but I'd rather go with something else."

As we've all seen, a company can't build mediocre products for years and expect people to change their minds overnight, no matter how good the product may be.

Pontiac has played wolf for the last time...Adios...or should I say sayonara.
Old 04-27-09, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
If I'm right on the ultimate fate of Buick, I think we actually get to what you are talking about. I think GMC is mainly being kept and separate for it's commercial trucks. Think 18-wheelers and big commercial stuff, small amount of pickups. If Buick is spiffed up and sold to the Chinese, you will have Chevy and Caddy as the car brands.
No. I don't see Buick going anywhere. It is too popular, especially with older folks. In fact, the less GM screws around with Buick, the better off it will be. If they try to turn Buicks into sport-sedans like some other luxury-car manufacturers have done, Buick's core and traditional base will rebel.

Some have argued that Buick's core customer base is aging and will soon die off (some of them already are). True...but they will soon be replaced by more seniors.....LOTS more, as the biggest generation in history (the Baby Boomers)is on the verge of retirement. Buick had better have plenty of cars ready for them....yes, soft-riding, traditional Buicks, not sport sedans.

Quick Reply: GM announces new VIABILITY plan. Pontiac RIP (by 2010) G8 dead in 2009