Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM announces new VIABILITY plan. Pontiac RIP (by 2010) G8 dead in 2009

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 07:44 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Rest In Peace Pontiac...
Old 04-27-09, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, UAW will just be a relic of the past and toothless.
No. If none of those other discontinued auto companies couldn't take the UAW down with them, Pontiac won't either....not IMO.

However, the UAW may (?) grow less powerful as former Pontiac workers, if they can't get jobs in other UAW plants, head south or west to seek jobs in non-UAW auto plants. It must also be remembered that some Chevys and Pontiacs, being virtually identical mechanically (like the Aveo/G3 and Cobalt/G5) are built in the same plants, on the same assembly lines....as is the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-09 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 07:46 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce van
Everyone seems to agree that the G8 is a good car, but is it? How many people on this forum have crossed over and went with a G8?

It's may be a good car, but it seems like in reality, it wasn't good enough. I remember reading 1SICK was considering the G8 as his next car, but sadly it didn't cut it. I'm sure other people came to the same conclusion. "Good car, but I'd rather go with something else."

As we've all seen, a company can't build mediocre products for years and expect people to change their minds overnight, no matter how good the product may be.

Pontiac has played wolf for the last time...Adios...or should I say sayonara.

Who in their right mind would go out and drop 30k on a car from a company that doesn't exist?

Pontiac is dead..........GM is dead.........Ford is dead............it's like Resident Evil up in this bizznitch
Old 04-27-09, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8speed
Who in their right mind would go out and drop 30k on a car from a company that doesn't exist?
That doesn't stop some people. The used-car market, even for vehicles from companies that have folded, often brings a lot of buyers. And some used cars go for 30K or more...the price range you are talking about.

I wonder what a 2004-2007 GTO will be worth 10 years from now....especially the 2005 and later models with the twin-scoops like the original.
Old 04-27-09, 08:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bruce van
Everyone seems to agree that the G8 is a good car, but is it? How many people on this forum have crossed over and went with a G8?

It's may be a good car, but it seems like in reality, it wasn't good enough. I remember reading 1SICK was considering the G8 as his next car, but sadly it didn't cut it. I'm sure other people came to the same conclusion. "Good car, but I'd rather go with something else."

As we've all seen, a company can't build mediocre products for years and expect people to change their minds overnight, no matter how good the product may be.

Pontiac has played wolf for the last time...Adios...or should I say sayonara.
THe G8 is fantastic in GT trip and explosive in GXP trim. What was a serious SERIOUS factor was FEAR of this news. I was going to buy into a brand that might die soon. I just didn't think it would be this quick.

The G8 actually sells well. Its a shame, its one of the best cars I've driven.

Old 04-27-09, 10:02 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Default Bend over and grab your ankles FORD!

Does anyone else find it ridiculous and appalling that ChryCo and GM are spending your hard earned tax dollars while Ford is making a go of it....on their own?

Crazy what a little foresight and some sound business planning can do. (And I am not suggesting they are in the clear, but they are making progress).

So the UAW/CAW are re-writing their deals with the 2 crappy companies and gaining equity in each. Does that mean Ford is stuck with the garbage deals and legacy costs that they are currently burdened with?

I know that we've had many discussions that the US isn't purely based of true capitalism....but this seems absurd.
Old 04-28-09, 11:09 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. If none of those other discontinued auto companies couldn't take the UAW down with them, Pontiac won't either....not IMO.

However, the UAW may (?) grow less powerful as former Pontiac workers, if they can't get jobs in other UAW plants, head south or west to seek jobs in non-UAW auto plants. It must also be remembered that some Chevys and Pontiacs, being virtually identical mechanically (like the Aveo/G3 and Cobalt/G5) are built in the same plants, on the same assembly lines....as is the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix.
UAW is losing headcount faster than we can keep track. If every industry had this rate of decline we would have a US depression, not a recession. The UAW is much less powerful today and has lost power over the last 20 years at a steady pace. Aveo/G3 and Cobalt/G5 are crap cars that just contributed to the decline.
Old 04-28-09, 12:30 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UAW is losing headcount faster than we can keep track. If every industry had this rate of decline we would have a US depression, not a recession. The UAW is much less powerful today and has lost power over the last 20 years at a steady pace. Aveo/G3 and Cobalt/G5 are crap cars that just contributed to the decline.
I doubt that what is going on has much, if anything, to do with making viable auto companies. With the government and UAW ownership going forward, GM and ChryCo exist only to make enough income to support retired UAW workers. Nothing more.
Old 04-28-09, 05:08 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny because the last time we rented a car we had a choice of an Azera or a Gran Prix. We went with the Azera.
Old 04-28-09, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If the UAW has lost as much power as you say, then why has it been such a force in the Chrysler-Fiat negotiations? The whole deal may revolve around what UAW members vote.
Old 04-28-09, 06:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If the UAW has lost as much power as you say, then why has it been such a force in the Chrysler-Fiat negotiations? The whole deal may revolve around what UAW members vote.
That's the last of their power, essentially dieing gasps compared to their storied past. The whole deal could end up in bankruptcy court at which point they will settle for pennies on the dollar.

The UAW/Chrysler-Fiat negotitations are a perfect example of their last ditch efforts at the end of an era.

The UAW unfortunately today represents a career path that we wouldn't wish upon any of our friends and families.
Old 04-28-09, 06:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It's funny because the last time we rented a car we had a choice of an Azera or a Gran Prix. We went with the Azera.
You've got to be kidding, they still make Grand Prix's?........
Old 04-28-09, 11:30 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THe G8 is fantastic in GT trip and explosive in GXP trim. What was a serious SERIOUS factor was FEAR of this news. I was going to buy into a brand that might die soon. I just didn't think it would be this quick.

The G8 actually sells well. Its a shame, its one of the best cars I've driven.

Look at this on the flipside, with a short production run the G8 GXP will be a rare and instant classic, these will multiply in value in coming years, can you say Barrett-Jackson?