Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW & Mercedes-Benz reportedly considering four-cylinders in US, pending new fuel ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 06:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am not opposed to 4 cylinder motors, I just prefer them with a manual transmission.
Old 04-27-09, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Choices is what tier 1 automakers are supposed to provide to the customer...

I agree, but choices, though, cost money to offer. The budget situation with a lot of carmakers is limiting what will soon be offered.....GM is a prime example, where whole divisions may soon be gone.

The real problem, and no one seems to be addressing it, like I said years ago: The luxury-nameplate auto makers should have offered less-expensive models with smaller engines several years ago, when they HAD the money, resourses, and budget to do so. BMW, for instance, brought out the 1-series, but it was WAY too overpriced (virtually the same as the 3-series) because it used the 3-series engines instead of a cheaper four. Mercedes did a nice little hatchback C230 Kompressor coupe, but simply didn't keep it here long enough.....you can't sell what you don't offer. Audi didn't introduce the A3 here until years after it should have.

Another problem, to a large extent, is the "image" factor. Luxury-car marketers, and a large part of the auto press, seem to think that that there is something wrong with upmarket vehicles with 4-cylinder powertrains, and that they won't sell in the U.S. The Audi A3, alone, among others, proved them wrong. Saab, an upmarket nameplate, has been doing (mostly) 4-cylinder turbo models for decades, and is still plugging away, although their popularity in the U.S. has not been what the German and Japanese makes are.
Old 04-27-09, 06:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Suddenly the Lexus HS looks like a genius move (again).
Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think the HS is a marvelous idea. I've said for years (and took some flak for it here on CL) that Lexus should do vehicles with smaller engines and four-bangers.
it may be genius or marvelous in theory, but in execution it's so ugly and cheap looking it is NOT a luxury car.

1. The vast majority of luxury cars sold are the entry level vehicles and people are more make a decision based on fuel economy.
i recently saw the original ES300. it looks WORLDS better looking than that HS250.

Lexus has proved here that people do want more economical luxury cars WITHOUT sacrificing the "luxury" part.
true, lexus has stood for 'prudent luxury' or something like that... but the HS250 misses at least half of that equation.

but you're probably right, maybe it will sell well...

Remember, America is the Germans most profitable market and that is b/c we love their big engine vehicles in comparison to Europe where the small engines are the vast majority of sales.
if that hasn't already changed, i believe it will soon. with all the discounts and credit collapse, i wouldn't think those brands are proftable in the u.s. right now. regardless, i expect the middle east and asia to still become by far the dominant markets for upscale vehicles.

america, we knew the then...

if competition and economic problems don't hurt enough, government regulation AND HUGE taxation are going to REALLY hurt.
Old 04-28-09, 08:48 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a changing world and that's not a bad thing.
Old 04-28-09, 09:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It's a changing world and that's not a bad thing.
Yes, more specifically the US market is gradually changing, the rest of the Western world for example had already moved towards fuel efficient cars.
Old 04-28-09, 04:48 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. Give the people a choice.

They don't have to stop offering their 6 and 8 cylinder motors but they can bring over some smaller gasoline and diesel engines that are geared towards efficiency. Thus, the folks interested in fuel economy but who do not want to forgo luxury amenities can purchase a model that suits their needs while those looking for a more performance can go for the appropriate model from the higher end.
Old 04-28-09, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it may be genius or marvelous in theory, but in execution it's so ugly and cheap looking it is NOT a luxury car.
Well, OK, I haven't seen it in person and can't comment first-hand, but, in pictures, it's a LONG way from the Corolla it's obviously based on.....just like the Infiniti G20 was a long way from a standard Sentra, and the Audi A3 a long way from a VW Golf.
Old 04-28-09, 08:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

What I'm excited for, is direct injection as a more common application for future engines
Old 04-29-09, 03:17 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, OK, I haven't seen it in person and can't comment first-hand, but, in pictures, it's a LONG way from the Corolla it's obviously based on.....just like the Infiniti G20 was a long way from a standard Sentra, and the Audi A3 a long way from a VW Golf.
I saw it in person at the NYIAS and believe me when I tell you that the exterior screams Corolla. Hell it appears to be the same size w/o a ruler in hand. My gf thought that it was a new Corolla & I told her that it is the new baby Lexus.
Old 04-29-09, 09:18 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, but choices, though, cost money to offer. The budget situation with a lot of carmakers is limiting what will soon be offered.....GM is a prime example, where whole divisions may soon be gone.

The real problem, and no one seems to be addressing it, like I said years ago: The luxury-nameplate auto makers should have offered less-expensive models with smaller engines several years ago, when they HAD the money, resourses, and budget to do so. BMW, for instance, brought out the 1-series, but it was WAY too overpriced (virtually the same as the 3-series) because it used the 3-series engines instead of a cheaper four. Mercedes did a nice little hatchback C230 Kompressor coupe, but simply didn't keep it here long enough.....you can't sell what you don't offer. Audi didn't introduce the A3 here until years after it should have.

Another problem, to a large extent, is the "image" factor. Luxury-car marketers, and a large part of the auto press, seem to think that that there is something wrong with upmarket vehicles with 4-cylinder powertrains, and that they won't sell in the U.S. The Audi A3, alone, among others, proved them wrong. Saab, an upmarket nameplate, has been doing (mostly) 4-cylinder turbo models for decades, and is still plugging away, although their popularity in the U.S. has not been what the German and Japanese makes are.
Not to mention the TSX but then again Acura is going to offer a TSX V6.
Old 04-29-09, 09:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I saw it in person at the NYIAS and believe me when I tell you that the exterior screams Corolla. Hell it appears to be the same size w/o a ruler in hand. My gf thought that it was a new Corolla & I told her that it is the new baby Lexus.
Agreed. I will wait till I see it in person but the styling will do NOTHING to help convince those that think they are just tarted up Toyotas. They didn't try hard enough.

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Not to mention the TSX but then again Acura is going to offer a TSX V6.
Thing is the TSX has that awfully weak I-4 that has LESS hp than before in a much larger car, nearly the size of the new TL. That said it clearly sells to people who want more space and don't mind being the slowest person in traffic.