Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My import car meet observations (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
How did Mazda and Toyota lose their way? It's like they forgot how to make a proper sports car.
The Miata has been a "proper" sports car since it was introduced 20 years ago. That has not changed. So was the MR2 Spyder until it was dropped after 2005, although the third-generation model, admittedly, lacked the turbo option the more expensive second-genenation one did.

Mitsubishi is lucky to have the EVO to continue carrying their sports car banner. About a year ago, I went to an exclusive 'test drive' event at their corporate headquarters with a friend from Clarion (their audio supplier). They stuck corporate employees in our cars for the test drives. A female employee was telling me how the Eclipse was now more powerful, better, etc. I told her that the Eclipse was a joke and that no real sports car enthusiast would ever buy one. I also asked to speak with one of their designers so I could tear him a new one, but no dice.

Told ya so, Mitsubishi.
I reviewed a new Eclipse Spyder just a couple of days ago. While it had some good points, for the most part, I agree with you. It is not a very impressive car, especially for something sports-oriented.
Old 04-27-09, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yesterday there was a huge meet planned at the GA Dome parking lot. Good idea as the lot can hold 3 million cars and its covered so you are not in the sun. There must have been around 400 cars, maybe more.
Thanks, Mike. Nice Pictures. But, Good Golly......THREE MILLION cars? How big is that building? The largest building that I know of, the Boeing 747 assembly plant at Everett, WA, can't hold anywhere near that much. Or are you just talking about the parking lot itself? Still, even a 3-million-car parking lot has got to be BIG.

The media sadly potrays the car scene as some unruly gathering of morons who just want to smoke weed, race, wreck and have unprotected sex. I have to say the meet was very well behaved with people just mingling and walking around.
Many (or most) of the media-portrayed peabrains who live that kind of irresponsible lifestyle probably wouldn't have nice cars like that. Even though I wasn't there to them in person, it is clear, from your pictures, that those cars are not the result of owners who abuse them. They seem to get a lot of care.
Old 04-27-09, 05:38 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car is the bomb!!!! Whos is it?

Old 04-27-09, 05:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice pics and the GS looks great gleaming in that shot!
Old 04-27-09, 05:41 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing.. that FD... words fail.
Old 04-27-09, 06:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

nice pics man. I cant believe the number of cars. I like the way they held it in a parking garage. Cool temperatures and its wall to wall cars
Old 04-27-09, 08:17 PM
LexFather

Thanks everyone for the comments

Old 04-27-09, 08:34 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for sharing your comments, great turnout of cars and those photos came out great!

What would be your choice for best in show etc?

PS your new ride looks great in that shot!
Old 04-27-09, 10:17 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pics and sharing with us! That was THE biggest collection of cars i've ever seen at a meet lol. Great variety in different cars as well.

And the GS was gleeeaming in the sunlight.
Old 04-28-09, 03:47 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Miata has been a "proper" sports car since it was introduced 20 years ago. That has not changed. So was the MR2 Spyder until it was dropped after 2005, although the third-generation model, admittedly, lacked the turbo option the more expensive second-genenation one did.
I don't know why I always forget about the Miata. Maybe because it's a chick car.

A friend of mine had a 1st gen Miata that I used to beat on for fun. It was a blast, regardless of horsepower. You're right Mike, the Miata is and has always been a proper sports car.

btw, I'm sure the 3 mill number is a joke. "Umm, I forgot where I parked my car...."