Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My import car meet observations (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 09:22 AM
LexFather

Cool My import car meet observations (with pics)

Yesterday there was a huge meet planned at the GA Dome parking lot. Good idea as the lot can hold 3 million cars and its covered so you are not in the sun. There must have been around 400 cars, maybe more.

I enjoyed walking around the 6 or 7 levels FULL of cars. Most were Hondas/Acura Integras but there was quite a few standouts (pics to come).

Now the meet cemented in my mind what I already knew and its amazing that car companies supposedly interested in getting younger buyers completely miss the boat.

Yes, i am talking about you Toyota.

So here are some observations

1. I would say nearly 70% of the cars there were either a Honda or Acura intergra. Most were Civics, then Accords. You then had a handful of S2000s and some really nice NSXs.
2. My admiration for Nissan continues to grow (again) as the 350Z really catapulted Nissan as the sporties Japanese brand. There were quite a few Zs there. Then there were the 240s and the G35s. What wowed me was seeing at least 5 or 6 new R35 GT-Rs there. NOTHING looks like it, it is beyond superb IMO.
3. Mixed about were Scions, WRXs, EVOs, 3 series BMWs, some A4s and maybe 10 Lexus.
4. Its amazing to see how the size of cars have grown. A G35 looks like the Titanic next to a 240 SX. There were some old school Japanese cars and they were beyond tiny! Quite amazing.
5. The media sadly potrays the car scene as some unruly gathering of morons who just want to smoke weed, race, wreck and have unprotected sex. I have to say the meet was very well behaved with people just mingling and walking around.
6. Two words. Jailbait No I do not have pics.
7. Not sure why some people think their car is so valuable, they must take up 3 spots and park some ridiculous way to advertise "hey this car is better than yours". It looks ridiculous when most of the cars are parked in one spot.
8. Clean FDs cleanse the soul. It is a great achievement that the 1990s Supra, 300ZX, RX-7, NSX and to a lesser extent the 3000GT all look beautiful to this day. Just a simple drop and some wheels and they look relevant. Amazing. Not sure where those designers have gone but BRING THEM BACK!!!
9. Its always fun to see someone check your ride out.
10. When you go to meets, you realize how much stock sucks and you need to mod your car. Unless you have a F430 Scuderia.

Old 04-27-09, 09:23 AM
LexFather

Old 04-27-09, 09:26 AM
LexFather

Myself and Bags in his 540i

Old 04-27-09, 09:33 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice pics at least you were inside, I was at a meet yesterday at UMCP and got baked. Car meets always seem to lure in jailbait lol...
Old 04-27-09, 09:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Nice photography.
Old 04-27-09, 10:03 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I like Lexus in the last picture.
Old 04-27-09, 10:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nice pics mike, thanks!

i agree a lot with most your observations. it makes sense (and same here in cali) that a lot of modded cars are itr and civics. now how the cars are modded aside, i have to applaud to honda for their capabilities to make this happen. generations after generations of civics and itr (now the rsx), they just keep on attracting decent amount of modders to get them. on the other hand toyota really sux coz' even if you look at the scion brand, it's not like hoda

you are so right about the size of the r35. i was side by side with one and i was in my gs, that car is BIG. even compared to the r34 the new one is so much bigger already
Old 04-27-09, 10:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
nice pics mike, thanks!

i agree a lot with most your observations. it makes sense (and same here in cali) that a lot of modded cars are itr and civics. now how the cars are modded aside, i have to applaud to honda for their capabilities to make this happen. generations after generations of civics and itr (now the rsx), they just keep on attracting decent amount of modders to get them. on the other hand toyota really sux coz' even if you look at the scion brand, it's not like hoda

you are so right about the size of the r35. i was side by side with one and i was in my gs, that car is BIG. even compared to the r34 the new one is so much bigger already

I agree, in the past many of us have said that Honda deserves so much kudos for the import scene and keeping it going. Its amazing the number of Hondas at most meets/shows.

Old 04-27-09, 01:40 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great photos! and greater collection of cars!
Old 04-27-09, 02:08 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Nice photos. I like your new GS.

I agree with #8. When I see a clean FD or MKIV Supra, I still stare at it. How did Mazda and Toyota lose their way? It's like they forgot how to make a proper sports car. Unfortunately, it seems like Honda/Acura and Mitsubishi are headed in the same direction.

Mitsubishi is lucky to have the EVO to continue carrying their sports car banner. About a year ago, I went to an exclusive 'test drive' event at their corporate headquarters with a friend from Clarion (their audio supplier). They stuck corporate employees in our cars for the test drives. A female employee was telling me how the Eclipse was now more powerful, better, etc. I told her that the Eclipse was a joke and that no real sports car enthusiast would ever buy one. I also asked to speak with one of their designers so I could tear him a new one, but no dice.

Told ya so, Mitsubishi.
Old 04-27-09, 02:16 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's funny how BIG cars have become. Even when I'm rolling my 2GS (already a pretty big car), with it lowered the way it is I am practically eye level with other cars' door handles (Camry, 300C, etc). It sort of freaks me out!

And sometimes I go out to the shop and remember just how tiny my '85 MR2 is - even though it's probably 8-10" longer than a modern Mini Cooper, it 's a lot LOWER!

I still lover old Supras and the 90+ 300ZX... such cool looking cars with a few $ sunk into them!

Mike, congrats on the new rig, by the way.
Old 04-27-09, 03:27 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting shots.

I've never seen a car show that took place in a parkhouse!
Old 04-27-09, 03:36 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

phh, GS hybrid is the only nice car I saw! Nice pictures, thanks.
Old 04-27-09, 03:43 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

I agree with 8 completely. Those classic imports still look amazing even compared to today's. The 300ZX has always been a dream car of mine. Even Toyota had the MR2 and Supras back then.
Old 04-27-09, 04:44 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the pics. I also went, now I have some pretty good ideas where to take my Sc.

Quick Reply: My import car meet observations (with pics)