Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oregon trooper reels in line of Ferraris, Lamborghini

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 04:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amini9

Ex-judges who are now lawyers and regular lawyers can speak with the judge to 'appeal' it. My brother knows an ex-judge who is cool with every judge in the county[and neighboring] will charge someone money and can get their ticket and point taken away.
Yes, it can be done several ways. On 2 occasions I went to traffic court, agreed to a reduced fine and judges did not submit to violation to DMV (therefore zero points in both cases). I had no special connections.
Old 04-29-09, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Amini9

Ex-judges who are now lawyers and regular lawyers can speak with the judge to 'appeal' it. My brother knows an ex-judge who is cool with every judge in the county[and neighboring] will charge someone money and can get their ticket and point taken away.
Fine, but it's the guy or gal on the bench in that black robe making the decision, not some "Ex". And a lot of sitting judges don't take kindly to pressure, even from some former colleagues.
Old 04-29-09, 06:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,973 Likes on 2,403 Posts

One of the TV news stations in Sacramento did a piece on driver's with suspended licenses. They went into the court room, saw people getting their licenses suspended, then filmed them driving away. One reporter even asked a guy driving off about his license. He said, "I gotta drive, what else am I supposed to do?"

So suspending a license really isn't the big bad bogeyman people make it out to be. Sure, you're driving with no license, no valid insurance, and no valid registration, but that doesn't stop many of these people from driving where they need to go. Much like gun laws, criminals couldn't care less if they have a license or not.

These guys are all laughing because they're going to pay fines and fees and my bet is there will be no record of these tickets after their day in court. Money buys a LOT of things. Also, if you think these guys have your average joe insurance you're kidding yourself again. Most people in California with the kind of money you need to buy an exotic own the car outright and post a bond for liability with DMV. There's no insurance company involved at all. If they were really going to get in trouble, the officer would have impounded their cars on the spot and taken them all to jail. 100 in a 55 is sufficient reason for doing this. The officer didn't. So they're not going to be treated like most of us would.

Love the F-40....