Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 01:37 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ConceptVBS
^^ I dont know where he got the staggered wheels. He should know that the picture is photoshopped. Glasses fail.
actually, i didn't suspect it was a chop. i saw it has a poor quality camera phone pic.

but the wheels are staggered. the rear wheel has more concave spokes than the front. fatter wheels in back.
Old 09-20-09, 03:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i'm glad that hyundai understands that you can make a cheap car look more expensive than it really costs.

after all, it's only stamped sheet metal.

tell that to toyota, whose cars are made of a trapezoid and a rectangle:

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
WOW new LED tail lights look nice... can't believe the ES doesn't have LED when Camry has LED's
actually, i didn't suspect it was a chop. i saw it has a poor quality camera phone pic.

but the wheels are staggered. the rear wheel has more concave spokes than the front. fatter wheels in back.
Yeah I think the rear is a fatter wheel here...not sure if its a PS though, kinda early to be rimmed up and dropped

Old 09-20-09, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Amazing to think people can now say "style" is one of the top reasons for buying a Hyundai.

Much respect to them.
This, to me, is not the first "style" car that Hyundai has done. Both the Tiburon and the Genesis Coupe were well-done, looks-wise, though the Genesis Coupe's interior was clearly not as impressive as the sedan's.

(The Tiburon, BTW, is the grandson of the old Scoupe you had, years ago, but, of course, is a totally different car under the surface)

Old 09-20-09, 10:18 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That black one with the painted grille and AME Tracer wheels looks pretty nice. I'm impressed with Hyundai once again.
Old 09-22-09, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The black painted grill looks much better than that twisted metal chrome grill. Hyundai has to always one up on Lexus so they pull the head lights further back than Lexus, in this case, its not a good look. The taillights looks like something from Ebay, cheap looking. Overall, its a nice car for the price, but thats what everybody saids about Hyundai.
Old 09-22-09, 07:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This car is a segment buster! Look at it. Just stunning!
Old 09-22-09, 10:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
The black painted grill looks much better than that twisted metal chrome grill. Hyundai has to always one up on Lexus so they pull the head lights further back than Lexus, in this case, its not a good look. The taillights looks like something from Ebay, cheap looking. Overall, its a nice car for the price, but thats what everybody saids about Hyundai.
Yup and whats odd is they keep using this cheap plastic chrome crap. Just ready any G35/37, Fusion, Acura beak owners posts, the front plastic fake chrome chips way easy from road debris.

Old 09-22-09, 10:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Whatever, so subtle that nobody noticed and nobody even knows if the picture is real or photochopped.
Old 09-22-09, 11:48 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The panoramic sunroof is definitely cool, and I didn't expect them to offer that, so credit to Hyundai for that move .

Most of these pics are likely of loaded, or well-optioned cars. I'm curious to see what a base model will look like.

Also the car is supposed to come with 6 airbags. Slightly underwhelming, given the current "dated" Camry comes with 7 airbags.
Old 09-22-09, 12:04 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

So how much does a loaded Sonata with a panoramic sunroof cost, I bet its no longer bargain basement price.
Old 09-22-09, 12:08 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

So how much does a loaded Sonata with a panoramic sunroof cost, I bet its no longer bargain basement price.
That's what I'm curious about too.
Old 09-22-09, 12:11 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Pricing will be the "truth serum" on this vehicle. I mean cant u get a Genesis v6 for 34k?
It better be reasonable.

I am impressed with this as a DD
Old 09-22-09, 12:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Pricing will be the "truth serum" on this vehicle. I mean cant u get a Genesis v6 for 34k?
It better be reasonable.

In order for the new Sonata to succeed, the top of the line model have to be thousands less than the top of the line Camry, which means around the low $20Ks.
Old 09-22-09, 02:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

In order for the new Sonata to succeed, the top of the line model have to be thousands less than the top of the line Camry, which means around the low $20Ks.
It won't. New Hyundai models continue to climb in price. They are not such great values as they were before. I predict a loaded Sonata will be in the high 20K range, possibly reaching the 30K mark. I also predict the new Sonata will actually steal away some sales from the Genesis, and likely Buick sedans and the Ford Taurus.

To compare, the current old Sonata loaded has an MSRP of roughly 28K.

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
It better be reasonable.

Genesis V6 base price is 32K. If a loaded Sonata comes anywhere close to 30K, Hyundai might be in trouble.
Old 09-23-09, 05:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If a loaded Sonata is 30K, then what is the point in taking a chance with Hyundai. Hyundai's selling point was that they can make the same car as others for less, I think they are trying to upscale too much, they need to get back to their roots.

Quick Reply: next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)