Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 07:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If a loaded Sonata is 30K, then what is the point in taking a chance with Hyundai. Hyundai's selling point was that they can make the same car as others for less, I think they are trying to upscale too much, they need to get back to their roots.
How much is a loaded Camry & Accord? This car will be priced competitivley.
Old 09-23-09, 07:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Camry hybrid with all the options is $35k, V6 XLE is $31, and V6 Accord is $32k. If the Sonota tops out ~$29k or $30k it should do pretty well because most people won't buy the top trim and the next gen of Camcords will increase in price as well
Old 09-23-09, 07:11 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
How much is a loaded Camry & Accord? This car will be priced competitivley.
I just priced out a '10 Sonata Limited V6 with NAV and bluetooth on Edmunds.$29045.
For another $1k to $2k,I buy the Accord or Camry in a heartbeat.

You get that extra cost back and more in resale value.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-23-09 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-23-09, 07:20 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I just priced out a '10 Sonata Limited V6 with NAV and bluetooth on Edmunds.$29045.
I think Hyundai will have to continue to press value. In the past, the selling point has been that you get more features and content per dollar than the competition. I do believe that Hyundai's quality is comparable to anyone's these days but in this segment you're competing with the Camcordima juggernaut. If you can get a Sonata loaded to the gills like the white one in those photos for 2-3k less and that same spread happens at each trim level then they've got a real monster on their hands.
Old 09-23-09, 07:28 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You get that extra cost back and more in resale value.
People who buy these cars tend to hold on to them until the wheels fall off. Resale value therefore will be a non-issue..
Old 09-23-09, 07:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
I think Hyundai will have to continue to press value. In the past, the selling point has been that you get more features and content per dollar than the competition. I do believe that Hyundai's quality is comparable to anyone's these days but in this segment you're competing with the Camcordima juggernaut. If you can get a Sonata loaded to the gills like the white one in those photos for 2-3k less and that same spread happens at each trim level then they've got a real monster on their hands.
Hyundai may press value but the auto market may not bite.
Hyundai's have had terrible resale value and I believe still will for awhile.
No doubt their vehicle line is much better than in the past but I think it will take more time for the Hyundai Sonata or Genesis to compete with the big boys if ever.
Therefore,they'll have to discount vehicles big to compete and they usually do with those big rebates.
The Elantra will sell well.
Old 09-23-09, 07:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
People who buy these cars tend to hold on to them until the wheels fall off. Resale value therefore will be a non-issue..
Maybe but there are still some that will change vehicles 3-4-5 years later and there's always the total or stolen.
Although,not too many thieves will steal a Hyundai.
Old 09-23-09, 07:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

So for $1000 more, I can get a Camry instead of a Hyundai, thats a no brainer.
Old 09-23-09, 08:04 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

So for $1000 more, I can get a Camry instead of a Hyundai, thats a no brainer.

Not necessarily for everyone. I'm sure there are enough people out there like me who finds the Camry a total bore. This car has tons more appeal than the current Camry and I'd seriously favor it over a Camry no matter what price.
Old 09-23-09, 08:11 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Not necessarily for everyone. I'm sure there are enough people out there like me who finds the Camry a total bore. This car has tons more appeal than the current Camry and I'd seriously favor it over a Camry no matter what price.
You would but most of the public feel a Toyota is a better quality vehicle.Not saying it is but that would be the feeling of most.
To most buying in that class couldn't tell the difference between the two and would care.Toyota has the better rep at this point.
I live in the NYC metro area and haven't seen a Sonata or Genesis on the road in awhile.
Elantra's Sante Fe's,Tucsons yes.
Old 09-23-09, 08:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly Joe, If someone who knows nothing about car and is looking for a reliable point a to point b car, guess which car they will buy. Hyundai has to twice as good as the Camry at half of the price. Going upscale before they have a firm foot hold of the market share is a big mistake.
Old 09-23-09, 08:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly Joe, If someone who knows nothing about car and is looking for a reliable point a to point b car, guess which car they will buy. Hyundai has to twice as good as the Camry at half of the price. Going upscale before they have a firm foot hold of the market share is a big mistake.

Speedflex may not like the Camry but others do.
Cash for Clunkers top selling vehicles.

TOP SELLERS as of September 21st, 2009

1. Toyota Corolla 29,488

2. Honda Civic 28,456

3. Toyota Camry 27,137
Old 09-23-09, 09:01 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Speedflex may not like the Camry but others do.
Cash for Clunkers top selling vehicles.

TOP SELLERS as of September 21st, 2009

1. Toyota Corolla 29,488

2. Honda Civic 28,456

3. Toyota Camry 27,137

That goes without saying. But this new Sonata is nothing like the existing one. It will never sell at Camry numbers. But it's not a slam dunk in favor of the Camry. Hyundai probably has aspirations of moving 15-20,000 of the new model per month. That would be quite a step up for them.

I think the new car is very compelling.
Old 09-23-09, 09:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

That goes without saying. But this new Sonata is nothing like the existing one. It will never sell at Camry numbers. But it's not a slam dunk in favor of the Camry. Hyundai probably has aspirations of moving 15-20,000 of the new model per month. That would be quite a step up for them.

I think the new car is very compelling.

You're correct about the new Sonata but in that class the Camry will the car of choice over the Sonata by most buyers.
Most won't even take a look at the Sonata.They'll look at Camry's and Accord's and if they look at the Sonata,the cost being close to Camry and Accord will hurt the Sonata sales..
Hyundai owners will buy the Sonata.It will take some time before Hyundai cuts deep into Camry and Accord sales if ever with cost basically the same.
There was a long thread in the GS 350 section about with a few saying the Genesis be a hit and cut into Lexus,Acura etc sales.It hasn't.I don't think the Genesis is selling well.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-23-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-23-09, 10:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Buying a Hyundai thats not a bargain is like buying a Toyota thats not reliable. Toyota knows this forumla well, do what you do best and stick with it no matter what. What they have done to continue to build reliable cars. Hyundai should learn this as well, what they do best is under cutting other people's price. If they lose that advantage, they have nothing.

Quick Reply: next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)