Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 03:37 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it gets a turbo 4 with at least 240-250HP, then it wouldn't be a bad replacement for a V6 at all.

We shall see what Hyundai offers.
Old 09-28-09, 09:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
Looks like dropping the V6 might have been because of a Turbo 4.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...4l-engine.html
Autoblog

Just a few days ago we saw the first images of the all-new Hyundai Sonata as it was introduced in South Korea. The Korean press release only mentioned two powertrain options, a 2.0-liter four cylinder and a 2.4-liter direct-injected four. No reference was made to a V6 such as the one offered in the current-generation Sonata. Ward's reports that they have been told even the North American-market Sonata will go four-cylinder only.

The current Sonata V6 only accounts for just 15 percent of total sales, and with the DI engine becoming standard in the new model, the larger engine likely be even less popular. We checked with Hyundai spokesman Dan Bedore, who responded "We have officially declined to comment further on that report." Bedore did tell us that further announcements would be coming at either the Los Angeles or Detroit Auto Show when the US model is revealed. The one thing we do know for sure is that a Sonata hybrid is coming later in 2010.

Old 09-28-09, 09:29 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh my goodness. That is so good looking in black.
Old 09-28-09, 09:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
They wouldn't have to cut the price... a 2010 Sonata 4-cyl limited with every available option (including nav and premium paint) is still under 27k with destination.

I've also noticed sometimes manufacturers put extra effort into keeping prices low for new model introductions.

They like it when reviewers and consumers are amazed at how much more car they can get for little or no increase in sticker price from the previous generation.

Then after everyone's done raving about the value of the Sonata, they'll bump the price up every year for the next few years while nobody's paying attention anymore.
Yes, price is a factor, but what sells Sonatas these days (and other Hyundais) is quality as much as price.
Old 09-29-09, 11:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Yes, I agree. Hyundai needs to be careful not to become complacent and arrogant, which they have already shown to be to a degree. Hyundai it does seem is starting to make some mistakes.
Its all part of growing too fast. Hyundai will make mistakes, but as someone once said, a mistake is not a mistake if you learn from it. No V6 in the Sonata is a mistake, raising the price of the Sonata so high is a mistake and Not having a Luxury division is another mistake. In some way, Hyundai is getting somewhat arrogant. It seems like they are not listening to their customers as much as they use to.
Old 09-29-09, 04:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Its all part of growing too fast. Hyundai will make mistakes, but as someone once said, a mistake is not a mistake if you learn from it. No V6 in the Sonata is a mistake, raising the price of the Sonata so high is a mistake and Not having a Luxury division is another mistake. In some way, Hyundai is getting somewhat arrogant. It seems like they are not listening to their customers as much as they use to.
Hyundai has never had a big reputation for listening to their customers. Did Hyundai customers ask for a car like the Genesis sedan, or the Genesis Coupe? Did Hyundai customers ask for the Equus?

How about the styling of the new Sonata? Did current Hyundai customers and Sonata owners ask for radical styling?

Did Hyundai do very comprehensive and thorough research and testing to gauge the reaction of consumers regarding some of these product decisions?

I bet the answer to most of those questions is no.

Hyundai, like many Korean companies, is simply doing what they feel is right. Hyundai does not go out of their way to listen to what the customer wants. The poor dealership experience you get with Hyundai is an example. Also in terms of owner loyalty, Hyundai has never ranked at the top either.

Originally Posted by meowCat

it's the power of Hyundai name brand. I would have to be retard not to buy this car if I only had choice between Sonata and CamCordTima.
That's a little uncalled for, IMHO. I think it's quite an arrogant thing to say. I wouldn't be surprise if Hyundai had the same or similar attitude when designing this car.

Also in terms of the turbo 4 outclassing the V6 competition, let's not jump to conclusions. V6 engines, by design, are more silky and smooth than a 4 cylinder, turbo or not.

Silky and smooth characteristics are important to have in the midsize sedan segment. If this turbo 4 engine shares some of the flaws that the Genesis 2.0T engine has, then it won't be outclassing anything.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 09-29-09 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 05:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

this car could re-write the books on family sedan, although the fusion can compete. the current accord and camry cannot, but spectacular sales for those continue because they're trusted models with huge pipelines and loyal customers.
Old 09-29-09, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Hyundai has never had a big reputation for listening to their customers.
Hyundai listened to their customers where it MATTERED.

For years, Hyundai customers, stuck with lemons and cars with shoddy workmanship, asked for better quality. It took until about 10 years ago for Hyundai's efforts to improve quality to show, but when it did, they delivered it in spades...the company, for the money, now does some of the most carefully-built cars available today.
Old 09-30-09, 06:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Hyundai has never had a big reputation for listening to their customers. Did Hyundai customers ask for a car like the Genesis sedan, or the Genesis Coupe? Did Hyundai customers ask for the Equus?
I think they did in the pass, people were complaining about the old Hyundais being too small and the material too cheap.
Geneisis is just a attempt by Hyundai to get into the luxury car market. It was not design to repond to customer complain as much as it was to expand their market. Hyundai have done everything right so far, but lately they are starting to show sign of growing pain. Their mission have been detour if you will. They need to re-foucs and remember the formula that got them where they are today and go back to it.
Old 09-30-09, 06:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this car could re-write the books on family sedan, although the fusion can compete. the current accord and camry cannot, but spectacular sales for those continue because they're trusted models with huge pipelines and loyal customers.
The Genesis was supposed to do this too, but after the dust settled and reality set in, it's settled into its niche in the market, like most new models do.

The new Sonata should do well and keep the other guys on their toes but it is really hard to have a true game changer these days.
Old 09-30-09, 07:03 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love the new Sonata!!! Gives everyone more options when choosing a camry,accord,altima. Hyundai just wants more market share, that's all.
Looking at all the NEW offerings. They are gonna get it! I'm really excited for Hyundai's future. I just wish to god they would sure up the dealership experience (SALES & SERVICE) to match the upgrade in their cars.
I currently own a 07 Camry (company car) & it has been great -Good value & reliable. If I had to buy another car for this purpose.
It would be the new Hyundai SONATA!!!
I am no longer surprised that Hyundai is moving this fast with the development of their cars.
Old 09-30-09, 07:26 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know if I particularly like the exterior of this car. The front end looks kind of like a buck-toothed ES 330 but the back end is alright. The interior seems to be the most inviting part of the entire design but I don't think it's particularly AMAZING or ground-breaking like everyone else seems to.

Even though the interior drives me nuts, it's still hard to disagree that this is the best looking family sedan, IMO:

...and yes, I feel weird saying that about a Camry.
Old 09-30-09, 08:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Sonata is not going to be a gamer changer, its a nice sedan but it lacks value. Thats where Hyundai have excel in the pass. Hack, if I can buy a Camry or a Hyundai for the same price, its a no brainer.
Old 09-30-09, 08:22 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Autoblog

Just a few days ago we saw the first images of the all-new Hyundai Sonata as it was introduced in South Korea. The Korean press release only mentioned two powertrain options, a 2.0-liter four cylinder and a 2.4-liter direct-injected four. No reference was made to a V6 such as the one offered in the current-generation Sonata. Ward's reports that they have been told even the North American-market Sonata will go four-cylinder only.

The current Sonata V6 only accounts for just 15 percent of total sales, and with the DI engine becoming standard in the new model, the larger engine likely be even less popular. We checked with Hyundai spokesman Dan Bedore, who responded "We have officially declined to comment further on that report." Bedore did tell us that further announcements would be coming at either the Los Angeles or Detroit Auto Show when the US model is revealed. The one thing we do know for sure is that a Sonata hybrid is coming later in 2010.

WAIT!!! Are some saying that this does NOT look better than the Camry??

IF anything I wonder if the styling being so elegant will draw Genesis buyers downward
Regarding Camry and Accord. There will still be "diehards" who will stay with those vehicles no matter what. I believe Hyundai will make strides but agree that there will be some growing pains as more mature buyers see them as a Toyota competitor..

Black Sonata FTW!!!
Old 09-30-09, 11:07 AM
LexFather

They will need to offer a V-6. If they don't, it will be seen as a level below those cars that do offer a V-6, like Acura and the RL and not offering a V-8.

They BETTER bring a V-6, even if its only 10% of sales.

Quick Reply: next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)