Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 12:50 PM
LexFather

Ninja Edit ftw

Lets be nice everyone

Old 10-01-09, 12:54 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Yes and if you keep spooling up the turbo to get that torque you're going to start sucking gas. The Genesis Coupe 2.0T has 210 hp @6000 and 223 lb-ft @2000. The Camry V6 has 268 hp @ 6200 rpm 248 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm. The Subaru Legacy (which will probably be closer to the Sonata since the its getting a 2.4T) has a 2.5T rated at 265hp @ 6,000 rpm
258 lb-ft @ 2,000-5,200 rpm. The gutless Camry V6 will stack up just fine.
Old 10-01-09, 01:05 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Why should we pay $1000 extra for a Camry when it's got poor build quality (cheap materials and poor craftsmanship) and reliability? I would actually pay $5000 more for the Hyundai for the following reasons:

- World class prestigious name brand
- Exceptional build quality
- Much more advanced design
- Hyundai's exceptional warranty

Yes, according to the latest meowCat reliability report, Hyundai is number one in reliability.

Last edited by The G Man; 10-02-09 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-01-09, 01:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
Yes and if you keep spooling up the turbo to get that torque you're going to start sucking gas. The Genesis Coupe 2.0T has 210 hp @6000 and 223 lb-ft @2000. The Camry V6 has 268 hp @ 6200 rpm 248 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm. The Subaru Legacy (which will probably be closer to the Sonata since the its getting a 2.4T) has a 2.5T rated at 265hp @ 6,000 rpm
258 lb-ft @ 2,000-5,200 rpm. The gutless Camry V6 will stack up just fine.
I don't think people are ready for turbos to replace the mainstream family V-6...

Old 10-01-09, 01:15 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

If they can eliminate a majority of the turbo lag like BMW did I don't see it as that big of a problem especially since most people will go for the NA I-4 anyway. If the numbers match up people don't really know enough to tell the difference
Old 10-01-09, 01:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
As I stated earlier, some people in the 90s called the 3rd-gen Taurus a "game changer" in looks, and look (no pun intended) how that turned out. Looks are subjective really. Looks alone does not make it a game-changer.
when i say looks, i'm not just talking about some new shape. it's also the interior and many trim details. to me the current camry isn't a bad shape really, but it's almost devoid of any interesting details - a giant lump of plastic and more plastic. i find the current camry's interior, plain, uninteresting, and cheap.

as you went on to say though, this new sonata will spend most of its life competing against a new camry so this is kind of moot, but the interior details alone on this new sonata make the current camry's interior look like a trabant.

The Altima though gets it's sales for a variety of reasons, including sporty handling dynamics and good performance. Will the new Sonata match or beat the Altima in the handling department? Very unlikely. The Altima (or arguably the Mazda 6) is the best-handling sedan in the midsize segment, and it has a bit of reputation in this regard.

The third-gen Altima, THAT was a game changer. That car had some really interesting (and ORIGINAL) styling for the time when it first came out, it offered best-in-class handling and performance, AND it single-handedly started a horsepower war in the North American midsize sedan market.
fair points. regardless of who the sonata steals sales from, i believe it WILL steal sales from others. but if it gets to the market significantly before other new models, it could make a big dent, although 'game changer' is not exactly defined.

I agree quality-wise it looks like this new Sonata has the Camry beat, but let's see what Toyota will do with the next-gen.
interesting you should say that... define "quality"? to me the new sonata appears to have more interesting and have more nicely designed materials than a camry. but 'quality' is different. that's about defects and how long something lasts when used as intended. you can have a junk quality luxury car and a world class quality econobox.

Oh please, that is not what I was talking about.
Oh please, don't be so dramatic.

I meant dealership experience in terms of SERVICE, and how customers and consumers FEEL and how they are TREATED at dealerships, *on average*. I'm not talking about exceptional or specific cases. I'm also not making this up. I can easily post plenty of links and evidence about Hyundai's OVERALL POOR dealership SERVICE, which leads to a mediocre dealership experience.
gotcha. but ya know, i've realized i hate going to dealerships no matter HOW they treat me. i don't want to go at all! it's one big royal pain. and even the nicest dealerships engage in endless bait and switch and additional 'services'. i don't think i'm alone in thinking this.

Once again, those sales are not sedan ONLY. Genesis sales are BOTH the Genesis coupe and sedan combined together.
no, i said 2k a mo. which the sedan's been doing by itself before the coupe came out. it's 3k a mo. now with both.

There is nothing "remarkable" about this. Genesis sales started off quite well, and now WITH the coupe sales added, overall sales have not increased much. Now that the dust has settled, overall Genesis sales are starting to look shaky.
that's why the sedan sales are 3 times the sales of the lexus GS, an established luxury sedan for a few thousand more. i would hardly call that shaky.

Overall, if we take the average MSRP for both it is in the low 30K range let's say. So keeping everything in mind, selling 2K a month of BOTH coupe and sedan (with the coupe at a much lower price) is nowhere close to "remarkable" IMHO.
they're BRAND NEW models on the market, with NO history introduced in a near DEPRESSION! i'd say it's EXCELLENT!
Old 10-01-09, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
If they can eliminate a majority of the turbo lag like BMW did I don't see it as that big of a problem especially since most people will go for the NA I-4 anyway. If the numbers match up people don't really know enough to tell the difference
i agree. they drive, it feels smooth, peppy and refined. they buy. who cares what's under the hood if you're not an enthusiast?
Old 10-01-09, 02:17 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

I know we're not comparing to the smaller Gen 2.0T which is why I included the Legacy GT's 2.5T. If the Sonata can get numbers similar to the GT it should be fairly successful. And yes people like us realize you don't need to be in the boost all the time but remember - most people are stupid. They gun it at lights and complain when their fuel economy sucks.
Old 10-01-09, 09:01 PM
LexFather

Price is going to be interesting......

Old 10-02-09, 09:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Genesis sales at 3K a month? How LONG ago was that? For September, Genesis sales including BOTH coupe AND sedan were only 1665. It's silly of you to compare the Genesis to the GS, because the GS starts off at a MUCH HIGHER MSRP, and a fully loaded GS is in a totally different class and price range than the Genesis.

Since Hyundai now combines Genesis coupe and sedan sales, we cannot say which model is selling more. For September, Hyundai could have sold 1,000 coupes, and only 600 sedans hypothetically. Fact is we don't know.

The Genesis competes against cars like the ES, and Infiniti G (not the GS), and against both of those the Genesis is doing poorly.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Price is going to be interesting......
Price will be very important in determining the success of the new Sonata.
Old 10-02-09, 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think people are ready for turbos to replace the mainstream family V-6...
Amen...

We're talking family sedans here and the average buyer isn't concerned with boost, torque etc. Ride, comfort, interior room, reliability and mpg rule in this segment.
Old 10-02-09, 10:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Since Hyundai thinks having a 4 cyl turbo for it's volume midsize sedan is a better decision than a V6, then it must be right and all of us as well as all of the competition must be wrong .
Old 10-02-09, 10:21 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Genesis sales at 3K a month? How LONG ago was that? For September, Genesis sales including BOTH coupe AND sedan were only 1665. It's silly of you to compare the Genesis to the GS, because the GS starts off at a MUCH HIGHER MSRP, and a fully loaded GS is in a totally different class and price range than the Genesis.

Since Hyundai now combines Genesis coupe and sedan sales, we cannot say which model is selling more. For September, Hyundai could have sold 1,000 coupes, and only 600 sedans hypothetically. Fact is we don't know.

The Genesis competes against cars like the ES, and Infiniti G (not the GS), and against both of those the Genesis is doing poorly.

Price will be very important in determining the success of the new Sonata.

I highly doubt hyundai sold 1000 coupes and only 600 sedans. before coupe arrived, sedan consistently sold 1000+ units. somy guess sedan is selling more than coupes.

Genesis does compete with GS.If you go to genesis owners forum, you would be surprised how many people crosshop Genesis with GS.
Old 10-02-09, 11:06 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
I highly doubt hyundai sold 1000 coupes and only 600 sedans. before coupe arrived, sedan consistently sold 1000+ units. somy guess sedan is selling more than coupes.

Genesis does compete with GS.If you go to genesis owners forum, you would be surprised how many people crosshop Genesis with GS.
Even Hyundai themselves have admitted that the cross-shopping for the Genesis sedan they are seeing is from some Benz and BMW customers, some Volvo and Lincoln customers, but not that many GS customers. Looking at the Genesis owners forum does not tell the whole story.

Yes before the coupe arrived the sedan was selling well over 1,000 units a month. Now WITH the coupe and sedan, Genesis sales are under 2K a month for September.

Like I said, the coupe's average price is much lower (by 10K) than the average price of the sedan, so it's perfectly reasonable that the coupe is outselling the sedan, and that the sedan sales may have dropped. We will never know for sure because Hyundai does not split the sales of the two models (even though the Genesis coupe is really nothing more than a RWD Tiburon).
Old 10-02-09, 03:52 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

it's safe to say genesis sedan average about 1000-1100 per month from their past numbers. Coupe is the big flop so far because it's too expensive and it's going against mustang and camaro.

anyway 1000-1100 per month isn't really that bad for 35-42k Hyundai. people still care about the badge name especially for people who can afford 40k car.

Quick Reply: next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)