Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 03:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
it's safe to say genesis sedan average about 1000-1100 per month from their past numbers. Coupe is the big flop so far because it's too expensive and it's going against mustang and camaro.

anyway 1000-1100 per month isn't really that bad for 35-42k Hyundai. people still care about the badge name especially for people who can afford 40k car.
That was based on past numbers. Fact is, right now we don't know for sure what sedan and coupe sales are like. We can only speculate and assume that the coupe is a flop sales-wise, there is no proof of that.

Here is a link to an article from March 2009 that backs up my point a bit:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6485334/au...der/index.html

According to Krafcik, initial sales for the Genesis Coupe have been even hotter than the luxury-oriented Genesis sedan, even with "significantly less" marketing.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 10-03-09 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-03-09, 05:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Genesis sales at 3K a month? How LONG ago was that? For September, Genesis sales including BOTH coupe AND sedan were only 1665.
fair point.

It's silly of you to compare the Genesis to the GS, because the GS starts off at a MUCH HIGHER MSRP, and a fully loaded GS is in a totally different class and price range than the Genesis.
calling someone 'silly' is rude and uncalled for. you say they don't compete, i say they do. we DISAGREE. the GS is also selling so poorly that it's basically irrelevant. and some considering a USED GS may consider a NEW Genesis instead.

and when you say 'totally different class' what does that mean? because the dealerships are nicer? i'm sure there's some feature differences, but what does the GS offer that a genesis does not?

Since Hyundai now combines Genesis coupe and sedan sales, we cannot say which model is selling more. For September, Hyundai could have sold 1,000 coupes, and only 600 sedans hypothetically. Fact is we don't know.
no way coupes are outselling sedans they never do, but fair point (AGAIN).

The Genesis competes against cars like the ES, and Infiniti G (not the GS), and against both of those the Genesis is doing poorly.
whatever. again you give no consideration that the genesis is NEW on the market and the ES has been out for, oh, 20 years? and the G for many too.

Price will be very important in determining the success of the new Sonata.
and EVERY vehicle ??
Old 10-03-09, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

no way coupes are outselling sedans they never do, but fair point (AGAIN).

Bitkahuna is correct. Even without hard sales numbers to back it up, it seems obvious that the Genesis sedan is outselling the coupe. In my area (D.C. suburbs), I see maybe 10 sedans for every coupe.

If people would actually test-drive the coupe, especially those who are sport-oriented and don't mind a somewhat stiffer ride than in the sedan, I think the coupe would sell itself, especially the top-level 3.8L Track version. The 3.8 Track coupe is one of the VERY few cars I have ever driven that has a BMW-worthy chassis/steering/drivetrain combination outside of BMW itself. It is a truly superb sport coupe for the money (31K).

I can't prove it, but I think the coupe's lower sales numbers may be due to its somewhat cheaper-looking interior and materials, compared to the sedan's far more plush interior. People take one look at the sedan's interior and seem to be mesmorized, and don't bother to even test-drive the coupe. And, of course, families, in most cases, are going to choose the sedan, simply based on its 4 doors.
Old 10-03-09, 05:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

calling someone 'silly' is rude and uncalled for. you say they don't compete, i say they do. we DISAGREE. the GS is also selling so poorly that it's basically irrelevant. and some considering a USED GS may consider a NEW Genesis instead.

and when you say 'totally different class' what does that mean? because the dealerships are nicer? i'm sure there's some feature differences, but what does the GS offer that a genesis does not?
The GS is in a totally "different class" in terms of price, and market segment. This is not something I made up, these are industry-wide price and market segments.

Outside of anecdotal and circumstantial personal observation, do you have any concrete proof that the GS is highly cross-shopped with the Genesis?

whatever. again you give no consideration that the genesis is NEW on the market and the ES has been out for, oh, 20 years? and the G for many too.
If the Genesis sedan has so far done "remarkably" and if it is a NEW model, then shouldn't it be able to come close to, or beat sales of the ES, which is an older, dated model (that is if you believe the hype about the Genesis)? Seeing as it's a NEW model and sales are already dropping even WITH the addition of the coupe, that is not a good sign IMHO.

As for the Infiniti G, it has hardly been on the market for "many years" in it's current form. Bringing up the Infiniti G20 won't work, as that was a FWD car, and it had virtually no success in North America. The Infiniti G sedan in it's current form (RWD, high performance, decent styling, decent value) has been on the market for 6 years. Before the G35, the G20 was non-existent in the eyes of luxury buyers.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 10-03-09 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-05-09, 06:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The GS is in a totally "different class" in terms of price, and market segment. This is not something I made up, these are industry-wide price and market segments.

Outside of anecdotal and circumstantial personal observation, do you have any concrete proof that the GS is highly cross-shopped with the Genesis?
I agree, the GS is in a different class than the Genesis. The Genesis is more likely to compete to the new Ford SHO.
Old 10-05-09, 06:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Infiniti G, Lexus IS were once new models also, and right from the start they were doing better than the Genesis. And Genesis 4.6 is offered for $399 lease rate, and still sells slowly.

I'd say people simply view the Genesis as a knock off, and while its a nice car and absolutely best value for the money, many would simply be embarrassed to drive it.
Old 10-05-09, 06:58 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Infiniti G, Lexus IS were once new models also, and right from the start they were doing better than the Genesis. And Genesis 4.6 is offered for $399 lease rate, and still sells slowly.

I'd say people simply view the Genesis as a knock off, and while its a nice car and absolutely best value for the money, many would simply be embarrassed to drive it.
People in the current economy are more likely to be swayed by low lease deals, and if Genesis sales are dropping with good lease deals that is not a good sign at all.
Old 10-05-09, 07:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

People in the current economy are more likely to be swayed by low lease deals, and if Genesis sales are dropping with good lease deals that is not a good sign at all.
This lease offer has been on Huindai's website for months now.

It all starts with this.
Lease a 2009 Genesis for $399 a month for 36 months**
A 375-horsepower 4.6L V8
Front engine rear wheel drive platform
Audiophile sound system by Lexicon®
Features that redefine luxury
Exceptional braking power
Old 10-05-09, 07:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

In yesterday's paper dealers were advertising $4K off of Genesis. Base model no doubt.
Old 10-05-09, 08:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

In this economy, people are less likely to take risk. To many buyers, a $40000 Hyundai is a risk.
Old 10-05-09, 09:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Bitkahuna is correct. Even without hard sales numbers to back it up, it seems obvious that the Genesis sedan is outselling the coupe. In my area (D.C. suburbs), I see maybe 10 sedans for every coupe.

Same ratio here of sedans to coupes in import-rich Silicon Valley.
Old 10-08-09, 09:34 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

a review of the new sonata (4 banger, korean spec)
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tes...0-korean-spec/

i really do hope hyundai brings v6 here in america.
Old 10-09-09, 11:09 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Genesis sales at 3K a month? How LONG ago was that? For September, Genesis sales including BOTH coupe AND sedan were only 1665. It's silly of you to compare the Genesis to the GS, because the GS starts off at a MUCH HIGHER MSRP, and a fully loaded GS is in a totally different class and price range than the Genesis.

The Genesis competes against cars like the ES, and Infiniti G (not the GS), and against both of those the Genesis is doing poorly.
Spec wise there is no denying the Genesis sedan competes with the Lexus GS, the Genesis even exceeds the GS specs in interior room, acceleration, and v8 (340hp vs 375hp)power by a healthy margin. Some have even compared the Genesis size and power wise to a LS or 7 series but priced more entry level. Hyundai bench marked the 5 series for the Genesis. It is not silly at all to compare the Genesis with the GS. Price wise the Genesis sedan may be a good deal lower but that has to do with Hyundai never competing in this field and there is no way they could get away with having a mid level luxury car priced the same or near the more established competition. That is like saying a LS460 does not compete with a Mercedes S class because the Mercedes is a good deal more expensive, to some a LS may not be up to a S class standards but to many they do compete despite the price difference.

ES has a established and respected name and is one of the best selling if not best selling cars in its segment, nobody is expecting a Genesis that has no or poor brand recognition to come anywhere close to the ES and they are pretty different cars anyway, most ES buyers don't want a rwd car or a thirsty v8 option so hardly any are going to be drawn to the Genesis sedan. G sedan and coupe are also very well established and popular and usually are reviewed well and have an attractive price so they are going to sell better. The GS is selling very poorly too and only gets lukewarm reviews despite it being much more established so it is not like there is this huge difference between them. Although the Genesis is not really put in many competitons in magazines it most likely would be competing with mid level lux sedans then entry level lux sedans because of its specs and proportions.

I am not blown away or all that impressed by the Genesis, especially the cheap uninspired interior, questionable build quality, questionable reliability, and so so handling but I do see it as GS, M, E competition spec wise despite what its priced at.
Old 10-09-09, 05:06 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
Spec wise there is no denying the Genesis sedan competes with the Lexus GS, the Genesis even exceeds the GS specs in interior room, acceleration, and v8 (340hp vs 375hp)power by a healthy margin. Some have even compared the Genesis size and power wise to a LS or 7 series but priced more entry level. Hyundai bench marked the 5 series for the Genesis. It is not silly at all to compare the Genesis with the GS. Price wise the Genesis sedan may be a good deal lower but that has to do with Hyundai never competing in this field and there is no way they could get away with having a mid level luxury car priced the same or near the more established competition. That is like saying a LS460 does not compete with a Mercedes S class because the Mercedes is a good deal more expensive, to some a LS may not be up to a S class standards but to many they do compete despite the price difference.

ES has a established and respected name and is one of the best selling if not best selling cars in its segment, nobody is expecting a Genesis that has no or poor brand recognition to come anywhere close to the ES and they are pretty different cars anyway, most ES buyers don't want a rwd car or a thirsty v8 option so hardly any are going to be drawn to the Genesis sedan. G sedan and coupe are also very well established and popular and usually are reviewed well and have an attractive price so they are going to sell better. The GS is selling very poorly too and only gets lukewarm reviews despite it being much more established so it is not like there is this huge difference between them. Although the Genesis is not really put in many competitons in magazines it most likely would be competing with mid level lux sedans then entry level lux sedans because of its specs and proportions.

I am not blown away or all that impressed by the Genesis, especially the cheap uninspired interior, questionable build quality, questionable reliability, and so so handling but I do see it as GS, M, E competition spec wise despite what its priced at.
hm. that's strange. Genesis build quality is probably one of the best in it's price range. reliabilility? hyundai doesn't have any reliability issues. at least not that i know of.and genesis v8 is not really thirsty compared to other v8. 17/25 is one of the best for v8(top 10 engine by ward) not too far from ES's 19/27.
Old 10-09-09, 05:23 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och

Jesus it's 2009. not 1989!!! people aren't embarrassed driving hyundai anymore. if they are so embarrassed why hyundai is selling so well?

people simply lean toward bmw, lexus, and MB when spending 40k. they just don't want to spend 40k on hyundai, toyota, honda or nissan because IT'S NOT A LUXURY BRAND!

Quick Reply: next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)