Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
One might be mistaken for thinking that Hyundai executives are running a military operation, instead of an automotive company.
Perhaps (?) that is how that got Hyundai's quality up (recent Sonatas are a good example). Sometimes managers have to make it clear that sloppiness, both in design and manufacturing, is not an option. Hyundai went that sloppiness route up until the late 1990's, and the result was a disaster.
Old 02-20-10, 06:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps (?) that is how that got Hyundai's quality up (recent Sonatas are a good example). Sometimes managers have to make it clear that sloppiness, both in design and manufacturing, is not an option. Hyundai went that sloppiness route up until the late 1990's, and the result was a disaster.
Hyundai execs running the company like a military regime is just one reason of why they increased quality, this has been discussed many times before in other threads.
Old 02-20-10, 06:53 PM
LexFather

Which is fine to me, they needed whipping into shape (past owner of a POS Hyundai here)

Old 02-20-10, 07:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No more of a feat than Ford's 355 HP EcoBoost V6. The Nismo's V6, according to Nissan specs, despite the 350 HP, has only 276 Ft-lbs. of torque....the EcoBoost, some 355-360 Ft-lbs.

http://www.nissanusa.com/zcoupe/
Naturally aspirated vs turbocharged, apples to oranges.
Old 02-20-10, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Which is fine to me, they needed whipping into shape (past owner of a POS Hyundai here)
Maybe slightly off-topic, but, don't forget, Mike.....one of those "POS" Hyundai Scoupes (the Scoupe, of course, was a 2-door Excel Coupe) managed to win the 1992 Pikes' Peak Hill Climb....a prestigious race, and no small feat.
Old 02-20-10, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Naturally aspirated vs turbocharged, apples to oranges.
Yes, agreed, but I thought you were taking that into account in your last post.
Old 02-20-10, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Hyundai execs running the company like a military regime is just one reason of why they increased quality, this has been discussed many times before in other threads.

I don't remember that many CL discussions of this particular subject, but I'll take your word for it.
Old 02-20-10, 07:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, agreed, but I thought you were taking that into account in your last post.
I wasnt the one who made the original post, I just responded to your post.
Old 02-20-10, 08:03 PM
ConceptVBS

Well what do you know, the 2011 Sonata just got a Top Safety Pick designation from IIHS.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...P-SAFETY-PICK/
Old 02-21-10, 01:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ConceptVBS
Well what do you know, the 2011 Sonata just got a Top Safety Pick designation from IIHS.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...P-SAFETY-PICK/
Great job Hyundai, the Top Safety Pick from the IIHS is not as easy to get as it used to be.
Old 02-21-10, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just arrived at one of the SJ dealers recently so I took another closer look yesterday afternoon. Looked nice for the money (this was a base model at just of $20K MSRP) and it had plenty of interior room in both front and back seats.
Old 02-23-10, 04:03 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Stop Sale

With the first units of its 2011 Sonata sedan having just begun hitting dealers, Hyundai is in the unfortunate position of having to issue a stop-sale on its most hotly anticipated new model in some time. According to Hyundai, an estimated 5,000 Sonatas may have a defective front door latch that could require replacement:

The [Sonata's] front doors incorporate a convenience feature that allows a locked door to be unlocked and opened by pulling the inside door release handle without first unlocking the door with the inside door lock switch. If a front inside door lock switch is held in the locked position while the inside door handle is pulled to open the door, the door latch may malfunction. If this occurs, the inside door handle will not return to its normal, stowed position and the door latch will remain in the unlatched position when attempting to close the door.

Because the two rear doors do not incorporate the automatic unlock pull-handle-to-open convenience feature, they are not affected by this issue, but both driver and passenger front door mechanisms could be in need of repair. Spokesperson Miles Johnson tells Autoblog that Hyundai will be working with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to recall vehicles that are already in customer hands (roughly 1,300 units have been sold since the first examples hit dealerships over the past couple of weeks), and the company will begin shipping replacement latches to its 790 dealers tomorrow in order to fix both customer and dealer stock Sonatas as soon as possible. Once the new latches are installed (a process that Johnson says takes about an hour per vehicle), the stop sale will be ended.

Johnson also acknowledged that Hyundai is keenly aware that the eyes of the media, public, and Capitol Hill are on Toyota and NHTSA at this time, and the company hopes to effect a swift and complete fix for this door latch issue on a model range that is expected to remain the company's volume leader.
Old 02-23-10, 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

With the first units of its 2011 Sonata sedan having just begun hitting dealers, Hyundai is in the unfortunate position of having to issue a stop-sale on its most hotly anticipated new model in some time. According to Hyundai, an estimated 5,000 Sonatas may have a defective front door latch that could require replacement:
Does my wrist get slapped for not catching that on my Sonata review yesterday?

(Just kidding)

Actually, to be serious, it worked out just right for me. Apparantly that stop-sale order did not come down until later in the day.....by then, I was done with the test-drive and back at home, writing the car up..Had it come down earlier, I might have been SOL for a test-drive.

And, to be honest, I wasn't aware that Hyundai even put that feature on the new Sonata...it doesn't stick out in the car's interior hardware, and there isn't much about it in the literature.
Old 02-24-10, 11:09 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

friend of mine who bought GLS 2 weeks ago just got 33mpg doing 50/50. i don't know why this is rated at 22/35. people are reporting sick numbers right now.
Old 02-24-10, 12:47 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

anyway he leased the car.

36mo/12k per year.
GLS 60% .00048

what a tremendous value. damn, i wish i can trade in my santa fe.

Quick Reply: next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)