Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 05:38 AM
ConceptVBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If it's one thing Hyundai's consistent with, it's ripping off others. That center stack is a carbon copy of the latest CTS.
Either you need some glasses or you need to look up the meaning of carbon copy. I suggest both.
Old 09-05-09, 06:28 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current Sonata is holding it's own, so I'm sure the new one will do good too. I doubt it will be enough to beat Honda or Toyota, but they're definitely going in the right direction. People just need to get past the fact that it's a Hyundai. I'm sure if you slapped a Toyota or Honda badge on this car half the posts on this thread wouldn't be so negative. Although they'd never to able to slide one by all us CL'ers since it's styled too aggressive to pass for a Toyota and there aren't enough buttons on the center stack to pass for a Honda.
Old 09-05-09, 06:39 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

lol. Hyundai beat Toyota to the next gen. Camry. This is what I thougt the next gen. Camry might look like. I am very curious to see how this car performs in comparo with the camry & accord on the track.
Great job Huyndai!!!
Keep Toyota,Nissan,& Honda up late at night. Gives the consumer more choices to pick from.
Old 09-05-09, 08:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by memasterac
2nd gen Lexus GS used to copy the MB E-series. I don't mind copy cat as long as it is copied with style.
If you are talking about the headlights, the influence was actually the SC....

Old 09-05-09, 03:24 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
Not a fan of a copy.
Old 09-06-09, 04:54 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

i love the above rendering...car looks great
Old 09-06-09, 08:16 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

man if Hyundai only made Sonata, Genesis and Equus (for U.S. market), they would pretty much "look like" Luxury Line.
Old 09-06-09, 08:18 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Hyundai has begun taking pre-launch orders for the new Sonata (aka the i40 in Europe) in their domestic market of Korea.

As these new leaked photos show, the 2010 Sonata adopts Hyundai's new "fluidic sculpture" design language. Boasting a "four-door coupe" appearance and a complex overly styled grille, the new Sonata will attempt to establish an even greater foothold in the automotive marketplace.

While details are scarce - the car won't be officially unveiled until September 10th - Hyundai has confirmed the Sonata will be outfitted with a six-speed automatic transmission and a 2.0-liter Theta II petrol engine. The car will also offer a variety of new features including a panoramic glass sunroof, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, and a push-button starting system.

Look for more details to be released in the coming days."
WCF
Attached Thumbnails next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)-354215.jpg   next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)-1647660.jpg   next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)-1657080.jpg  
Old 09-08-09, 11:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, so the front end looks like a stretched Solara, the rear end a bit like a Camry, and people are praising this? Perhaps some anti-Toyota bias among enthusiasts is true .

I must agree with dunnojack on this; the car is overstyled and gaudy. It has character lines that go nowhere and that are not cohesive with each other.

Headlights that are disproportionate to the tail lights? FAIL. Side character line that is not parallel to the window line? Double fail. Looking like a Camry? Triple fail. Why get a Camry look-alike when you can get a real Camry?

The current-gen Sonata looks like an Accord. This new Sonata looks like a gaudy Camry. I don't see the "huge" styling improvement everyone else is seeing.

The interior looks very good, but I don't think it will be very high quality. Hyundai interiors as of late typically look better than they actually are.

Also as typical with all new Hyundai models, there is nothing innovative or class-leading from the new Sonata, as it stands so far.

Camry gets a redesign soon, so we shall see how it stacks up.
Old 09-09-09, 07:06 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wow, so the front end looks like a stretched Solara, the rear end a bit like a Camry, and people are praising this? Perhaps some anti-Toyota bias among enthusiasts is true .

I must agree with dunnojack on this; the car is overstyled and gaudy. It has character lines that go nowhere and that are not cohesive with each other.

Headlights that are disproportionate to the tail lights? FAIL. Side character line that is not parallel to the window line? Double fail. Looking like a Camry? Triple fail. Why get a Camry look-alike when you can get a real Camry?

The current-gen Sonata looks like an Accord. This new Sonata looks like a gaudy Camry. I don't see the "huge" styling improvement everyone else is seeing.

The interior looks very good, but I don't think it will be very high quality. Hyundai interiors as of late typically look better than they actually are.

Also as typical with all new Hyundai models, there is nothing innovative or class-leading from the new Sonata, as it stands so far.

Camry gets a redesign soon, so we shall see how it stacks up.
That's because the Camry is a paragon of innovation, right?
Old 09-09-09, 07:11 AM
LexFather

I found it took styling cues (who doesn't) but I don't find it a blatant copy of one car....

Old 09-09-09, 07:21 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have said all along that I have a big problem with Hyundai because they lack originality but considering the new Tucson and this Sonata, I really do have to give them credit.

Yes, I can see some Passat CC in the character line, and yes I can see some Infiniti in the interior but you can see the same lines and similarities on everything from the new E Class to the Toyota Corolla. At some point we are just going to have to accept that design cues may be fresh and new for a while but after that they tend to trickle down through the rest of the market. LEDs, BMW's trunklid and hoffmeister kink, Lexus integrated exhaust pipes, etc. If we all stay so focused on what is the same and who is copying, then we aren't ever going to get a chance to appreciate the rest of the car.

In this instance, Hyundai seems to have created a VERY attractive sedan for it's class while also coming up with a new design language. Yes, there are some elements of other cars in there but they are TRYING and you can start to see a Hyundai family face coming out. I can respect that, and I also respect the incredible strides they have made in terms of quality, design, reliability, and on several other fronts.

The Altima has one of the worst interiors that I have ever seen. The Accord is nice but Honda technology is so 1990s it's not even funny. The Camry is great but it's no secret that Toyota cheaped out on the interior. The Malibu and Fusion have both come back to the front of the pack but seem to lack the sales appeal of the front runners. While everyone else has faltered or tried to rebound, Hyundai has been gobbling up market share, snapping up awards, and converting plenty of ex CamCordTima customers.

You really have to give them credit.
Old 09-09-09, 07:31 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Totally agree.

Hyundai appears to be doing a great job of "copying" attractive design cues from others. As mentioned this is no biggie as they all do it.

Side note, wife and I stopped by a Hyundai dealership and while driving in she was intrigued by a black car on our left. It was a black on black 4.6 Genesis. She loved the styling and honestly didnt care that it was Hyundai.
WOW... things are really changing! lol
Old 09-09-09, 12:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
That's because the Camry is a paragon of innovation, right?
Where is the Sonata hybrid? Oh wait, Hyundai doesn't have one ...

Where are the knee airbags in the Sonata?

No the Camry itself is not a paragon of innovation, but compared to Hyundai, Toyota is very innovative since Hyundai has zero innovation.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have said all along that I have a big problem with Hyundai because they lack originality but considering the new Tucson and this Sonata, I really do have to give them credit.

Yes, I can see some Passat CC in the character line, and yes I can see some Infiniti in the interior but you can see the same lines and similarities on everything from the new E Class to the Toyota Corolla. At some point we are just going to have to accept that design cues may be fresh and new for a while but after that they tend to trickle down through the rest of the market. LEDs, BMW's trunklid and hoffmeister kink, Lexus integrated exhaust pipes, etc. If we all stay so focused on what is the same and who is copying, then we aren't ever going to get a chance to appreciate the rest of the car.

In this instance, Hyundai seems to have created a VERY attractive sedan for it's class while also coming up with a new design language. Yes, there are some elements of other cars in there but they are TRYING and you can start to see a Hyundai family face coming out. I can respect that, and I also respect the incredible strides they have made in terms of quality, design, reliability, and on several other fronts.

The Altima has one of the worst interiors that I have ever seen. The Accord is nice but Honda technology is so 1990s it's not even funny. The Camry is great but it's no secret that Toyota cheaped out on the interior. The Malibu and Fusion have both come back to the front of the pack but seem to lack the sales appeal of the front runners. While everyone else has faltered or tried to rebound, Hyundai has been gobbling up market share, snapping up awards, and converting plenty of ex CamCordTima customers.

You really have to give them credit.
Yes, everyone copies minor styling cues in some way from one another, but NO major automaker copies others to such a MAJOR extent as Hyundai does.

I give credit to them where the credit is due, but why are enthusiasts giving Hyundai credit where it is NOT due?

Their "new design language" is a hodge-podge of design cues and philosophies of other automakers with NO distinct or unique styling of their own. Why should they get credit for this?

They have improved their quality, and offer more car for the money, I definitely give credit to them for that.
Old 09-15-09, 03:48 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

side profile... IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)-yf-spy-parking.jpg  

Quick Reply: next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)