Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver May 2009 Comparo 1. 328, 2. G37, 3. A4 2.0T 4. TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 09:06 AM
LexFather

Arrow

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Does the IS even have back seat? My GOD, there is no leg room in that thing unless you are 4'. Forget being 6'4 like me in an IS350. Heck a VW Golf has more legroom. Car & Driver should have included all cars in the class for analysis. Anyone here drive a 328 besides my man Threxx? It is as quick off the line as a stock GS400 believe it or not.
We all know the IS doesn't have a backseat just like we know the 3 is something not to keep after warrenty. I'm 6"5 and have no issues sitting in either the IS or 3. the 3 backseat is clearly better but its not like its a Town Car back there.

I always lol at people who seriously mention backseats when comparing sports sedans. Especially since most are driven by the driver only. Its clear the G37 and TL offer the space/value portion compared to the 3 and the IS is in the back here.

Yes I've also driven a 328 and it is a GREAT mix of speed/sport for most people which is why I think it may have won this comparison. Too many times companies depend on more size/speed, etc but the 328 is one of those near perfect "matches", especially with the manual. That said unless you plan to drive the snot outta it 24/7, well then the G37 IMO is simply the better buy by far.

Its hard to ignore 100hp, especially since the G37 offers a manual, has a better interior, more space, more reliable etc. How many people drive at 10/10ths? How many then can tell the difference? Not the average owner.

Especially since the biggest selling point for the top two cars here is you can lease a 328 for $199 a month and a G37 for $189 a month.

Old 04-28-09, 09:55 AM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Sounds like the outcome of another typical C&D with a BMW comparo, BMW first again.
Agreed. The sky is blue, the grass is green, and C&D will always pick the BMW.
Old 04-28-09, 10:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes I've also driven a 328 and it is a GREAT mix of speed/sport for most people which is why I think it may have won this comparison. Too many times companies depend on more size/speed, etc but the 328 is one of those near perfect "matches", especially with the manual
It seems as if Car & Driver came to the same conclusion... See what happens when you cut out the fat? You get right to the meat.. Now that was easy
Old 04-28-09, 12:22 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xwakeboard
Agreed. The sky is blue, the grass is green, and C&D will always pick the BMW.
I could be mistaken, but back when BMW use to report the breakout of it's 3-series sales, the 328 or 325 back then even without the 335/330 sales, would be at the top of the sales chart.

So C&D tends to favor the 3-series, so do the consumers. The 3 series as a whole still leads the entry luxury segment of the market.

I actually fall into that category. My top three came down to a 328i, G35, and TL (pre-beak, when Acura was giving away the TL for under $29k). I loved the handling and feel of the BMW, loved the power of the G35 but was turned off by its class lagging EPA and limited builds that had wood interior (personal preference), and loved the value that the TL represented at around $28-29k, but didn't like the TL's handling and feel.

I picked the 328i and have no regrets. If buying today, the G37 would probably get my pick because of the value it represents (tons of incentives), power, plus its EPA rating is improved compared with the G35. The TL, on looks alone, is out of the equation.
Old 04-28-09, 01:02 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Gee, car and driver picking a BMW, what a surprise
Old 04-28-09, 01:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It seems as if Car & Driver came to the same conclusion... See what happens when you cut out the fat? You get right to the meat.. Now that was easy

Bragging that BMW won in C&D is like bragging you won swine flu

Old 04-28-09, 01:24 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

We all know the IS doesn't have a backseat just like we know the 3 is something not to keep after warrenty.
Someone neglected to send me that memo. Which is good for me, because the recent purchase of new floormats finally put the 10-year total cost of repairs and maintenance on my 323i over the $2k mark. That INCLUDES tires, brakes, and windshield wipers.
Old 04-28-09, 03:37 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Not sure why the IS is left out the C&D comparo. Maybe Lexus got hip to their crap? Not sure.

The TL-S, G35, IS 350 squared off in R&T. The IS won the comparo.
Besides the BMW, the other three are either all new or heavily upgraged, and the magazine picked two RWDs and two AWDs to keep the balance I guess. As far as the 328i, because it is a BMW, C&D MUST have it in every single sports sedan comparo. IS has nothing new except some cosmetic changes.
Old 04-28-09, 10:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am sorry, but I know enough about cars to know that the 328 is not a better car in a performance comparison that a G37. SORRY. They are BMW biased. 328's are for thin and small women. You have to turn in your ***** if your buy a 328 over a G37.
Old 04-28-09, 10:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

just looked it up. The 328 has a 230 HP inline 6 engine. I now know that anyone I see driving one of these ***** boxes is a sackless clown. 230 hp LMAO. I cant believe they even sell 528i's. what a joke. This must be the automotive form of label whoring. Pay more for less . Perfect!!!
Old 04-28-09, 11:00 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I8ABMR, it's not all about sheer horsepower numbers. It's easy to get caught up in all of that when we are just sitting here typing into a monitor, but when you actually drive a 3-Series, you'll instantly know why it's so highly regarded not only by consumers and the automotive press, but by the industry as a whole. It simply sets a standard.

It may not have the flashiest interior or the most powerful engines, but the 3-Series, in any form, gives you an unrivaled, only BMW, driving experience. The steering, the damping, the feedback, the turn in, the crisp brakes - it's all typical 3-Series.
Old 04-28-09, 11:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

FKL I respect what you are saying, but I have driven both and find it insulting to my intelligence and auto enthusiasm for this magazine to repeatedly do this. Its a joke and a lie. I will smoke a 328 in a G35 let alone a G37. Come on man call a spade a spade.

These cars have very veery similar handling characteristics. The main difference is the power. 98 horses on your lawn would be hard to miss. Its harder to miss when they are under your right foot. G's up and Bimmers down. LOL

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-29-09 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-29-09, 01:02 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard in their comparo next month, the 128i beats GTR. I could be wrong, but I could be right
Old 04-29-09, 01:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
I heard in their comparo next month, the 128i beats GTR. I could be wrong, but I could be right
I think you are right. LMAO. Thanks for the laugh. I hope I didnt wake up the neighbors

I got a good one....." 1987 318i beats Bugatti Veyron". They say that the Veyron lacks the refinement of the BMW and doesnt handle as well. Steering is not direct. The 318 was faster, had better handling, and brakes. hands down the 318i destroyed/ " dispatched" the Veyron. I hope they go under. I am so sick of this particular magazine and the BMW smoke blowing that they do

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-29-09 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-29-09, 01:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

»
1st place: 328i
2nd place: G37
3rd Place: A4 2.0T
4th place: TL SH-AWD

No link to the article yet. Seems it really was a battle between the 3 and G37 and the last 2 finished far behind.

I'm dying to see how the hell the 328 with 100 less hp lost a sports sedan comparo. Its not that damn balanced.
A regular 328 is nothing but blah. But we're dealing with C&D here.

lol at anyone saying the TL is in the class above it with the 5/E/GS etc. It's last in the class its in.
I would not say that TL is in the same class as 5/E/GS, etc, but it certainly competes in that class - just like Lexus own ES350. Both the TL and ES350 are priced in the 3/C/IS class, but sized and loaded in the 5/E/GS class. With that being said, Acura completely screwed the current TL, because

1) Its too ugly. Yes, its uglier than CTS, PT Cruiser and even Aztek. I literally wouldn't want to take a crap into it, never mind driving it.
2) It no longer offers wood trim on the interior. Everyone blasts the current ES350 for having less wood than the previous one, and rightfuly so, and the TL doesn't offer any. Its not like its a sports coupe, its a damn luxury car targeted at people 40+, they dont want aluminum trim, they want wood trim.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver May 2009 Comparo 1. 328, 2. G37, 3. A4 2.0T 4. TL SH-AWD