Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver May 2009 Comparo 1. 328, 2. G37, 3. A4 2.0T 4. TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 05:30 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am sorry, but I know enough about cars to know that the 328 is not a better car in a performance comparison that a G37. SORRY. They are BMW biased. 328's are for thin and small women. You have to turn in your ***** if your buy a 328 over a G37.
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
just looked it up. The 328 has a 230 HP inline 6 engine. I now know that anyone I see driving one of these ***** boxes is a sackless clown. 230 hp LMAO. I cant believe they even sell 528i's. what a joke. This must be the automotive form of label whoring. Pay more for less . Perfect!!!
Do you say all of the above about the Lexus IS250 (or the Audi A4 2.0t)? Because both of those cars are even less powerful and slower than the 328i.

The 328i will run 14.5 @ 95 with a 6-speed manual which is plenty respectable, and will easily out handle 99% of the cars on the road including the one in your garage right now. In fact, while your car is faster in a straight line (not by much)... if you put your car up against a 328i at a road course... you'd be watching its tail lights get further and further away. What does that say about your sack? LOL

Some people that buy cars want luxury, nice handling, and are content with mid 14s type acceleration and don't need the low to mid 13s offered by cars like the G37, IS350, and 335i.
Old 04-29-09, 06:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
»
1st place: 328i
2nd place: G37
3rd Place: A4 2.0T
4th place: TL SH-AWD

No link to the article yet. Seems it really was a battle between the 3 and G37 and the last 2 finished far behind.

I'm dying to see how the hell the 328 with 100 less hp lost a sports sedan comparo. Its not that damn balanced.

lol at anyone saying the TL is in the class above it with the 5/E/GS etc. It's last in the class its in.
It's C&D and it's a BMW. What else do you need to see?
Old 04-29-09, 06:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure why the IS is left out the C&D comparo. Maybe Lexus got hip to their crap? Not sure.

The TL-S, G35, IS 350 squared off in R&T. The IS won the comparo.
Nothing's changed on the IS since the last comparo? New TL, new A4, new engine in the G37. And they can't leave out the car that must win?
Old 04-29-09, 06:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx

Some people that buy cars want luxury, nice handling, and are content with mid 14s type acceleration and don't need the low to mid 13s offered by cars like the G37, IS350, and 335i.
C&D are not those people--that's Consumer Reports.
Old 04-29-09, 07:14 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
C&D are not those people--that's Consumer Reports.
Right... and if you read my comments before that post, you'll see I agree that giving the 328i first place among those cars is crazy IMO.

My reply was to I8ABMR who is trying to act like the 328i has absolutely no business existing and anyone who owns one and is a male should be ashamed. I'm just wondering if he says those same things about the IS250.
Old 04-29-09, 07:38 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see anything wrong with the 328i, like so many others in this thread do. My ex girlfriend has one that I still drive somewhat frequently (good friends now ) and it's a nice little car- pretty quick, rides and drives beautifully, and it's not too bad on gas. I really like the car actually...despite two main gripes. The interior is not to my taste - flat and somewhat uninspiring overall despite having great materials and quality. The thing cost $45OTD with "normal" options like nav, leather, automatic, and decent wheels.

The IS250 she cross shopped it with was $39,000 or so and had the same options, but her parents are BMW people and went with the 3.

Given the selection of cars that C&D rounded up, the 3 would be my second choice, not because it's a bad car, but because it's not as good as the G37 for the money, IMO. The Infiniti has 100 more horsepower, a nicer interior, and has a track record for being more reliable.

To me, that's a big deal...enough so to get over the "balance" of the 3 series.
Old 04-29-09, 07:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

C&D have been giving BMW automatic wins for years, just like consumer report put Toyota on the recommanded list without testing. If the comparo parameters are just handling, then the BMW would win, but I dont think any comparo should be judge solely on handling.
Old 04-29-09, 08:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
Right... and if you read my comments before that post, you'll see I agree that giving the 328i first place among those cars is crazy IMO.

My reply was to I8ABMR who is trying to act like the 328i has absolutely no business existing and anyone who owns one and is a male should be ashamed. I'm just wondering if he says those same things about the IS250.
Right. If it was all about how fast the car could go, I'd have bought a Dodge Charger AWD with a Hemi instead of an IS250AWD.
Old 04-29-09, 08:13 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Its not like its a sports coupe, its a damn luxury car targeted at people 40+, they dont want aluminum trim, they want wood trim.
The Acura brand seems to be in an odd place, at this point.

The previous gen TL and now this, have grown considerably more edgy in their design, versus previous models. I think Honda is moving the Acura brand in a different direction, and the TL is partially spear-heading that move. With all the seemingly conflicted lines, I think the TL is best described as 'bold'...or "Keen Edge", if I let Acura speak for themselves.

As of right now, wood trim would just be downright out of place on the current model, which looks more like a prototype vehicle, as opposed to something more reserved/conservative when in prodution form, as we typically see. To each their own on what it looks like, but wood is fitting of a softer presence, IMO...not where the TL is going.
Old 04-29-09, 08:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
It no longer offers wood trim on the interior. Everyone blasts the current ES350 for having less wood than the previous one, and rightfuly so, and the TL doesn't offer any. Its not like its a sports coupe, its a damn luxury car targeted at people 40+, they dont want aluminum trim, they want wood trim.
I'm not going to argue for the TL--it's just wrong for many reasons.

But--I don't agree that every buyer in the TL/3/IS/G/A4 category wants a cushy lux car. Some do--but some want something they can drive every day, with 4 doors for kid-friendly access, and can't or can't afford to have both a weekend "sports car" plus a daily driver. They want a "sport-y" sedan as a compromise. The TL, IS350, G37 and 335, with more powerful engines, do provide a decent performance option for those that really wanted a sports car, not a lux car.

There's TONS of posters in the IS threads that HATE the wood trim to the extent of covering it up with carbon fiber.

ES350--I agree. Those buyers don't want aluminum trim. I hate that wood steering wheel when I get one as a loaner.
Old 04-29-09, 08:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm not going to argue for the TL--it's just wrong for many reasons.

But--I don't agree that every buyer in the TL/3/IS/G/A4 category wants a cushy lux car. Some do--but some want something they can drive every day, with 4 doors for kid-friendly access, and can't or can't afford to have both a weekend "sports car" plus a daily driver. They want a "sport-y" sedan as a compromise. The TL, IS350, G37 and 335, with more powerful engines, do provide a decent performance option for those that really wanted a sports car, not a lux car.

There's TONS of posters in the IS threads that HATE the wood trim to the extent of covering it up with carbon fiber.

ES350--I agree. Those buyers don't want aluminum trim. I hate that wood steering wheel when I get one as a loaner.
Well, like I said before, many people do cross shop the TL and ES with 5/E/GS, and many of them want a cushy, not sporty ride, for the price of 3/IS/C. It is silly not to give people who want wood trim the option of having it.

But the real reason for lack of wood trim is cost cutting. Properly finished and molded real wood trim gets quite expensive, while brushed aluminum (or worse yet silver painted plastic) is dirt cheap.
Old 04-29-09, 08:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
The Acura brand seems to be in an odd place, at this point.

The previous gen TL and now this, have grown considerably more edgy in their design, versus previous models. I think Honda is moving the Acura brand in a different direction, and the TL is partially spear-heading that move. With all the seemingly conflicted lines, I think the TL is best described as 'bold'...or "Keen Edge", if I let Acura speak for themselves.

As of right now, wood trim would just be downright out of place on the current model, which looks more like a prototype vehicle, as opposed to something more reserved/conservative when in prodution form, as we typically see. To each their own on what it looks like, but wood is fitting of a softer presence, IMO...not where the TL is going.
Well, we all know where the TL is going... down the toilet drain.
Old 04-29-09, 09:33 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with the 328i except its ridiculous price tag; when you option it up to match the G37 standard features it gets into the mid 40s. The 328i is a good deal at 32K, at 45K it only attracts badge *****s.
Old 04-29-09, 09:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

All four of these cars handles pretty good, the BMW is the best but not by much. It is a mistake to name the BMW a winner simply because its handling and over look all of BMW's short coming such as accelaration, price, interior space, interior design and lack of standard options.
Old 04-29-09, 09:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Well, like I said before, many people do cross shop the TL and ES with 5/E/GS, and many of them want a cushy, not sporty ride, for the price of 3/IS/C. It is silly not to give people who want wood trim the option of having it.

But the real reason for lack of wood trim is cost cutting. Properly finished and molded real wood trim gets quite expensive, while brushed aluminum (or worse yet silver painted plastic) is dirt cheap.
As is plastic "wood", which, when done right like in my old 2000 TL, can look classy.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver May 2009 Comparo 1. 328, 2. G37, 3. A4 2.0T 4. TL SH-AWD