Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver May 2009 Comparo 1. 328, 2. G37, 3. A4 2.0T 4. TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 02:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I am sorry but the A6 & A4 drive like a boat compared to the 3 & 5. I have driven all the above & even posted driving events for both Audi & BMW on here for folks to get behind the wheel of these vehicles to experience them.
I'll be very honest with you, I havent driven an A6 or A4, but out of the current line up I drove 550, 650 ,745 and 750, 328, 330 and 335 - and only the 335 has impressed me. The 5, 6, and 7 series left me VERY disappointed, and whilst the 335 was a blast to drive, and admittedly the 328 and 330 are very good as well, their interiors are just too cheap and ugly.
Old 04-30-09, 02:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I drive my 335 every other day. I work in Manhattan & live in Queens. My commute consists of driving on the asphault missing BQE, bumpy LIE, & unevenly paved GCP. Let me tell you out of all of the vehicles I have ever owned or driven on the streets & highways, BMWs exhibit a composed & controllable ride. Bump steer is absent from these cars. Can the same be said of Audi? The answer to this is NO.. The chassis and suspensions in BMWs feel as if they were milled from 1 solid piece of steel. When driving over road defects the car does not feel like two halves. Sounds familiar Gman?
I live in Brooklyn and go to NYC very often, and I prefer taking that ride over bumpy BQE in my 1st gen LS400. You may not believe me, but my LS400 is far more composed than my 2GS430, it also doesn't have any bump steer, while it has a lot of body roll and generally lousy handling, its steering is solid and predictable, and the body feels solid. My GS however... well you probably know from your own experience. I don't know how Lexus managed to mess it up like that.
Old 04-30-09, 02:34 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree, I had a lot more bump steer in my GS350 than in my Audi. To me, all 3 German offering have about the same quality, it just depends on what you are looking for in a car. BMW=performance, MB=comfort and Luxury and Audi=somewhere in the middle of MB and BMW.
Old 04-30-09, 02:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, I had a lot more bump steer in my GS350 than in my Audi. To me, all 3 German offering have about the same quality, it just depends on what you are looking for in a car. BMW=performance, MB=comfort and Luxury and Audi=somewhere in the middle of MB and BMW.
I dont see a reason to generalize manufacturers like this. MB and Audi got plenty of performance beasts as well, with S/RS and AMG lines of products.
Old 04-30-09, 03:44 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a bumpy, pot holed, uneven, cracking, pebbly, with rail-road crossing, hulk smashing the ground, IEDs going off kind of road while im trying to hold back explosive diarrhea i think the best ride ive had was in a lexus. last thing i would want to be in is a sport package 3 series. i had a couple friends who died from cracked spines when going over pot holes. damn you macpherson!
Old 04-30-09, 03:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gshb
for a bumpy, pot holed, uneven, cracking, pebbly, with rail-road crossing, hulk smashing the ground, IEDs going off kind of road while im trying to hold back my explosive diarrhea i think the best ride ive had was in a lexus. last thing i would want to be in is a sport package 3 series. i had a couple friends who died from cracked spines when going over pot holes. damn you macpherson!

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-09, 03:52 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gshb
for a bumpy, pot holed, uneven, cracking, pebbly, with rail-road crossing, hulk smashing the ground, IEDs going off kind of road while im trying to hold back explosive diarrhea i think the best ride ive had was in a lexus. last thing i would want to be in is a sport package 3 series. i had a couple friends who died from cracked spines when going over pot holes. damn you macpherson!
Obviously you havent driven a GS350 yet So where is Lexus in the comparo Could it be that even the IS350 does not handle as good as those 4 cars?
Old 04-30-09, 05:05 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe this was said before. Even without pushing the BMW to it's limits, in everyday normal cruising, you can already feel the quality of the drive in the 328i. Normal driving is a very pleasant experience with this car, no need to push down the accelerator all the way to get a grin. That's how complete the car is. Although, even without counting the power, the G37 is pretty close with it's driving dynamics already and it will be awsome to see how the next generations of these mfgrs cars turn out. Having driven a 3 series E46 / E90 the last 7 years, i'd be happy to stay with BMW as my cars have never had any issues and actually bought out my e90 lease i've enjoyed the car so much. That said, i also wouldn't mind having a G37 and am considering getting the coupe maybe this year or next. And i absolutely love the looks of the Audi S5 and A5 w/sportline pkg.
Old 04-30-09, 05:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by wmb0000
How come the Lexus IS is not in this comparo ?
Originally Posted by The G Man
So where is Lexus in the comparo Could it be that even the IS350 does not handle as good as those 4 cars?
Shouldn't the Mercedes C300 be in this comparo too ? It's newer than the BMW and the Lexus, but yet nobody ask why it is not included
Old 04-30-09, 05:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Shouldn't the Mercedes C300 be in this comparo too ? It's newer than the BMW and the Lexus, but yet nobody ask why it is not included
LOL, because it sucks
Old 04-30-09, 07:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You don't read. Speedflex said the 3 beat the G37 by two points, so it was pretty much a tie. The A4 and TL were WAY behind the other two. The only thing pathetic is the newest car, the TL.

I then see you took my post, copied it on another forum then called me a smug *******. You are a real man.If you want, drive to Ohio where they build it and maybe give them copies of this issue of C&D.

Also tell the child Vtach Ricer I am flattered he mentions me as much as he does on multiple forums. Typical Acura/Honda owner imbecile.

Those like you and me and others that have driven these cars can rationalize while C&D does have BMW on the payroll, we understand why the 328 makes such a great case for itself as the G37. We also know why the TL is dead last. It does not offer much of a compelling reason to get over the Accord. Its nice but nice doesn't cut it. It leads in no categories. Except ugly.

WOW.!!!!!!! It seems like a pretty broad generalization , but then again I feel the same way about clowns who drive american cars. LOL

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-30-09 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-30-09, 08:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
WOW.!!!!!!! It seems like a pretty broad generalization , but then again I feel the same way about clowns who drive american cars. LOL
You have a PM.

Old 04-30-09, 08:30 PM
chums
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
[/B]

yes !. Those are the sackless drivers. LOL j/k. I understand what you are saying about the buyers, but there is no way that the 328 is the best of the cars tested. unless you are on BMW's sack.LOL

PS if you drive an IS250 or the 1.8l turbo audi you are really sackless. Grow a pair and go buy a mans car, not a mans car powered by a barbie motor. 200 hp in a 3500 lb car is pathetic and frankly feminine. Just my 2 cents.
the true men are the ones that don't need a car with horsepower to boost their own manpower and why are you so obsessed with talkin about sacks.......?
Old 04-30-09, 08:36 PM
LexFather

Ladies and Gents, lets keep this on the cars. We have had some GREAT feedback from nearly everyone on their personal experiences and their thoughts.

Thank you.

Old 05-01-09, 05:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Staying with the topic, not sure about the G37, but the G35 use to be nothing more than a engine with everything else as an after-thought. The 3-series drives nice, but that cold and unsightly interior takes away from an otherwise very nice experience, Its like buying a million dollar house and furnishing it with Kmart furniture. The TL use to be a nice looking car but Acura has been one that " Lord of Ring " kick and puts shields in all their car, what were you thinking Mr Honda?

Quick Reply: Car and Driver May 2009 Comparo 1. 328, 2. G37, 3. A4 2.0T 4. TL SH-AWD