Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver May 2009 Comparo 1. 328, 2. G37, 3. A4 2.0T 4. TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 08:30 PM
LexFather

Post Car and Driver May 2009 Comparo 1. 328, 2. G37, 3. A4 2.0T 4. TL SH-AWD

»
1st place: 328i 207 points
2nd place: G37 205 points
3rd Place: A4 2.0T 193 points
4th place: TL SH-AWD 177 points

No link to the article yet. Seems it really was a battle between the 3 and G37 and the last 2 finished far behind.

I'm dying to see how the hell the 328 with 100 less hp lost a sports sedan comparo. Its not that damn balanced.

lol at anyone saying the TL is in the class above it with the 5/E/GS etc. It's last in the class its in.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-01-09 at 09:10 PM.

Old 04-27-09, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
»
I'm dying to see how the hell the 328 with 100 less hp lost a sports sedan comparo. Its not that damn balanced.
Since you haven't linked the article, without reading it, I'm going to guess steering and brakes as the main reason. Even without a lot of torque, driving a BMW can be a very pleasant experience. The typical BMW, for a street car, has steering feel and a ride/handling combination that has to be experienced to be believed. Ditto the brake pedal.
And (trust me), the 335i solves the torque problem.

lol at anyone saying the TL is in the class above it with the 5/E/GS etc. It's last in the class its in.
Again, perhaps (?) the typically-Acura numb steering....and, of course, the Acura grilles. The 2009 TL, I'll admit, is ugly......and C&D's staff, unlike some other publications, does take exterior styling into account in their ratings. They also place steering/handling high on their criteria.

For overall build quality, though, I'd rate the TL tops in the group, slightly edging out the G37.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-09 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 08:50 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

328?!

Wait, never mind, it's C&D...

It lost all credibility to me when it gave the one(1) "Gotta have it" point to the 330i in order to break the tie between it and the IS350.

C&D = BMW sucker, just like Edmunds.
Old 04-27-09, 09:18 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a very hard time seeing how the 328i got first place among that competition unless 50% of their scoring was based on chassis/steering/comfort balance... where the 328i is the best car.

Other than that... I don't get it. And I freaking drive a 335i, and have had 328i loaners far more times than I care to remember... plus have driven all of the above compared cars in some form or another.
Old 04-27-09, 09:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Since you haven't linked the article, without reading it, I'm going to guess steering and brakes as the main reason. Even without a lot of torque, driving a BMW can be a very pleasant experience. The typical BMW, for a street car, has steering feel and a ride/handling combination that has to be experienced to be believed. Ditto the brake pedal.
And (trust me), the 335i solves the torque problem.

Again, perhaps (?) the typically-Acura numb steering....and, of course, the Acura grilles. The 2009 TL, I'll admit, is ugly......and C&D's staff, unlike some other publications, does take exterior styling into account in their ratings. They also place steering/handling high on their criteria.

For overall build quality, though, I'd rate the TL tops in the group, slightly edging out the G37.
Not sure yet Mike but the TL does nothing great outside of having nice Nav. Its completely average, wrapped in ugly.

Originally Posted by Threxx
I have a very hard time seeing how the 328i got first place among that competition unless 50% of their scoring was based on chassis/steering/comfort balance... where the 328i is the best car.

Other than that... I don't get it. And I freaking drive a 335i, and have had 328i loaners far more times than I care to remember... plus have driven all of the above compared cars in some form or another.
Its b/c C&D has their heads so far up BMWs anus they should just rename it BMW & Driver.

This is the third time the 328 has won a sports sedan comparo the last 2 years with the G35/G37 2nd everytime.

What is odd is the first gen G35 with the Kia interior from 1989 won its comparo.

I can't wait to read this one. Oh and I saw a new TL today in front of the last generation Maxima at a gas station and the rooflines are so similar. Then I started pouring gas on myself and set myself on fire as that was less agonizing that looking at that disgusting car.

Old 04-27-09, 09:30 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the outcome of another typical C&D with a BMW comparo, BMW first again.
Old 04-28-09, 05:59 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come the Lexus IS is not in this comparo ?
Old 04-28-09, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Its b/c C&D has their heads so far up BMWs anus they should just rename it BMW & Driver.
C&D's leanings are not just confined to BMWs. For years, they have also had a love affair with the Mazda Miata, Honda Accord, Porsche Boxster, and others. You find these vehicles (and others) almost perenially on their annual Ten Best List.
Old 04-28-09, 07:16 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wmb0000
How come the Lexus IS is not in this comparo ?
I keep wondering that myself. It seems the IS is routinely left out of the party at these comparos. In fact I have yet to see a real head-to head between the current IS and G.
Old 04-28-09, 07:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
I keep wondering that myself. It seems the IS is routinely left out of the party at these comparos. In fact I have yet to see a real head-to head between the current IS and G.
Not sure why the IS is left out the C&D comparo. Maybe Lexus got hip to their crap? Not sure.

The TL-S, G35, IS 350 squared off in R&T. The IS won the comparo.

Old 04-28-09, 07:37 AM
nn432100
Lead Lap

I hope C&D goes bankrupt! Back in 07 when I was looking at buying a car I read their mag and they had a comparison of the 3 and IS. Even though the 3 had a bunch of error lights when they started the car they still picked the 3.
Old 04-28-09, 07:56 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Not sure why the IS is left out the C&D comparo. Maybe Lexus got hip to their crap? Not sure.

The TL-S, G35, IS 350 squared off in R&T. The IS won the comparo.
Yea, I seem to remember that one from quite a ways back. It seems that everyone thinks the G's major nemesis is the 3 while it seems to me that the natural scrap would be between it and it's main Asian rival, the IS. I would have thought that they would have met in direct competition more often.
Old 04-28-09, 08:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
Yea, I seem to remember that one from quite a ways back. It seems that everyone thinks the G's major nemesis is the 3 while it seems to me that the natural scrap would be between it and it's main Asian rival, the IS. I would have thought that they would have met in direct competition more often.
Well the G37 and 3 offer manauls. The IS does not. The G37 is just huge compared to the 3 and IS though and the TL takes that to another level of lard, at 74" wide and 194" long. The 3 and IS are 180 inches long!

I have to read what happened here.

Old 04-28-09, 08:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Yes, the G37 sedan is GS size, if I think I need a sports sedan the size of the G37, I won't even cross shop it with the IS350.
However, I would cross shop the G37 coupe with the IS350 sedan, which is like a 4-door coupe.
Old 04-28-09, 08:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well the G37 and 3 offer manauls. The IS does not. The G37 is just huge compared to the 3 and IS though and the TL takes that to another level of lard, at 74" wide and 194" long. The 3 and IS are 180 inches long!

I have to read what happened here.
Does the IS even have back seat? My GOD, there is no leg room in that thing unless you are 4'. Forget being 6'4 like me in an IS350. Heck a VW Golf has more legroom. Car & Driver should have included all cars in the class for analysis. Anyone here drive a 328 besides my man Threxx? It is as quick off the line as a stock GS400 believe it or not.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver May 2009 Comparo 1. 328, 2. G37, 3. A4 2.0T 4. TL SH-AWD