Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fusion Hybrid Averages 81.5 MPG, Sets World Record with 1,445 Miles on Single Tank of

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 05:49 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
+1, kudos to Ford (and Toyota...aren't they responsible for the Hybrid Drive components?)

Nope. They were responsible for the basic design of the hybrid systems used in the first Ford hybrids launched several years ago but Ford at some point came up with their own, and the system used in the new Fusion from what I've read is completely Toyota-independent (much to the dismay of some members here, I'm sure).
Old 04-29-09, 01:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Good job to Ford. That's quite an accomplishment
Old 04-29-09, 04:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hypermiling to the max. I hope they weren't too inconsiderate to other road users.
Old 04-29-09, 08:17 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i consider hypermiling cheating.

but a good marketing campaign i guess

now get toyota to hire a hypermiler to beat that record
Did you forget the 1,400+ miles to a tank on the current gen Prius? That challenge was done a few years ago. Given that the Prius has a smaller tank, I think that netted over 100mpg. (I gotta find that article again to get exact numbers)

Originally Posted by Threxx
Nope. They were responsible for the basic design of the hybrid systems used in the first Ford hybrids launched several years ago but Ford at some point came up with their own, and the system used in the new Fusion from what I've read is completely Toyota-independent (much to the dismay of some members here, I'm sure).
+1

Ford has its own system and to be honest, I'm impressed with it. I've test driven the 05 and 08 Escape and they were very good hybrids. As a car, they're typical Ford (cheap plastics and leather. The 08 was an improvement over the 05 in those two areas but still below par imo) but the hybrid system was great.
Old 04-29-09, 09:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
That's funny... when the couple of articles were posted about the Prius being in a hyper-mile challenge and achieving a maximum of 75.3 mpg... you didn't say any of the above detracting statements. You had nothing but good things to say. Of course 81.5 mpg isn't going to happen in the real world. Neither is 75.3 in the Prius. That much is obvious.

Regarding down hill, I'm pretty sure this was a circuit/loop, meaning whatever altitude they lost, they had to gain again before crossing the finish line.
Neither car will ever get either of the mileages posted. Happy??? LOL
Old 05-17-09, 07:16 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 FORD Fusion Hybrid accomplishes 1,445 miles on single tank (81.5 mpg)

This car really, really impresses me. It beats the Camry Hybrid and matches the Insight (based on EPA). If I had $27K, I'd be all over this car.

And how about the regular V-6 Fusion? 37 mpg rated highway! That's remarkable. It freakin' beats my Yaris on the highway!

This accomplishment from Ford can't be overstated. And it has quality to boot too!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10230024-48.html

Setting a world record a gasoline fueled midsized sedan, the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid traveled 1,445.7 miles on a single tank of gas on Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Traveling between 20 and 45 mph depending on traffic to take advantage of the car's capability to operate in electric-only mode up to 47 mph and foregoing cruise control to maximize fuel economy, a team of seven eco-drivers set out from Mount Vernon, Va. on Saturday at 8:15 a.m. ET with a goal of reaching 1,000 miles on their 17-gallon tank.

The team included Nascar driver Carl Edwards, high mileage trailblazer Wayne Gerdes and several Ford Motor Company engineers who took turns at the wheel, twittering their progress along the way.

The 1,000 mile target was easily reached at 9:07 a.m. EDT on April 27. Edwards reportedly took them past this milestone with an average fuel economy of 76.3 mpg, according to a post on Twitter.

With fuel still in the tank, the team continued driving into the night to see just how far the Fusion Hybrid could go.

At 5:43 a.m. EDT, the group announced their results on Twitter, "Its all over!!! The Fusion Hybrid did 1,445.7 miles on ONE tank of gas! Average f/e of 81.5mpg! What a team - what a car!! #Hybrid1000 ^JW"

Not too shabby for a midsize car rated at 41 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway by the EPA.

The Fusion Hybrid is equipped with Ford's SmartGauge with EcoGuide, an instrument display that visually demonstrates how fuel efficient you are driving. However, the team employed other fuel economy maximizing techniques, such as:

* Slowing down and maintaining even throttle pressure
* Gradually accelerating and smoothly braking
* Maintaining a safe distance between vehicles and anticipating traffic conditions
* Coasting up to red lights and stop signs to avoid fuel waste and brake wear
* Minimize use of heater and air conditioning to reduce the load on the engine
* Close windows at high speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag
* Applying the "Pulse and Glide" technique while maintaining the flow of traffic
* Minimize excessive engine workload by using the vehicle's kinetic forward motion to climb hills, and use downhill momentum to build speed
* Avoiding bumps and potholes that can reduce momentum

The car used in this test was a standard 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid without any special modifications. The car was driven continuously for 69 hours, and this Ford video clip on You Tube shows the final moments of the car as it runs out of gas on the George Washington Parkway in Washington, D.C
Attached Thumbnails Fusion Hybrid Averages 81.5 MPG, Sets World Record with 1,445 Miles on Single Tank of-10fushyb8876_610x405.jpg  
Old 05-17-09, 07:41 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I just love that front end.....
Attached Thumbnails Fusion Hybrid Averages 81.5 MPG, Sets World Record with 1,445 Miles on Single Tank of-2010-ford-fusion-sport-front-leftjpg.jpg  
Old 05-17-09, 08:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Huh? 37 mpg highway for the regular V6 Fusion? Correction, but that is 27 mpg for the V6 Fusion. 37 mpg highway for a non-hybrid V6 midsize sedan would be almost impossible under current EPA standards. A Camry V6 gets better highway economy (28 mpg) and much better power.

Make no mistake, the 2010 Fusion is a nice car, but the only real appealing model is the hybrid. The other Fusion models are really not that competitive at all.

While this is an amazing accomplishment, I'd like to see what is the top distance achieved with a Camry hybrid on a single tank, compared to this. I know Prius owners have achieved over 1000 miles on a single tank, keeping in mind the Prius has a much smaller tank than the Fusion hybrid.
Old 05-17-09, 08:27 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job Ford.
Old 05-17-09, 10:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

so many have put down ford's hybrids as just bought previous gen toyota parts, but if that's so, why does the fusion seem to beat the camry (both hybrids) in fuel economy?

and the fusion also beats the camry hands down in terms of other technology.
Old 05-17-09, 11:06 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Sorry but repost, posted this a while back...
Old 05-17-09, 11:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

thanks, merged.
Old 05-18-09, 04:18 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Huh? 37 mpg highway for the regular V6 Fusion? Correction, but that is 27 mpg for the V6 Fusion. 37 mpg highway for a non-hybrid V6 midsize sedan would be almost impossible under current EPA standards. A Camry V6 gets better highway economy (28 mpg) and much better power.

Make no mistake, the 2010 Fusion is a nice car, but the only real appealing model is the hybrid. The other Fusion models are really not that competitive at all.

While this is an amazing accomplishment, I'd like to see what is the top distance achieved with a Camry hybrid on a single tank, compared to this. I know Prius owners have achieved over 1000 miles on a single tank, keeping in mind the Prius has a much smaller tank than the Fusion hybrid.
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/ford...chlanding.html

On Edmunds, it states 37 mpg highway for the SPORT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A). I'm seeing 34 on Ford.com.

Either way, it IS the most fuel efficient midsize sedan. Camry and Accord don't come close. Amazing achievement for Ford.
Old 05-18-09, 05:24 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What?? Not competitive at all outside the hybrid model? On what grounds? Many of the reviews I've read have said the Fusion has a nicer, quieter interior, better materials, a MUCH better ride/handling balance, offers optional AWD, etc. And then we get to fuel economy and power which is what I think you were focusing on.

The 2010 Fusion 175hp/172tq 4-cyl gets 23/34, and the 263hp/249tq V6 gets 18/27 with FWD (AWD of course is less, but is not available on the Camry).
The hybrid gets 41/36

The Camry's 158hp/161tq 4-cyl gets 21/31, and the 268hp/248tq V6 gets 19/28.
The hybrid gets 33/34

Looks to me like the hybrid fusion dominates the hybrid camry in mileage. The Fusion 4-cyl offers 17 more horsepower and 2.5 more average mpg whereas the Fusion V6 offers 5 less horsepower (but 1 more tq) and an average econ of 1 mpg less.

So to sum it up, on the cars people buy because they care a lot about fuel economy and saving money (the 4-cyl and the hybrid), Ford wins. On the cars people buy with economy as a secondary concern, Ford loses, but barely (4.4% difference in economy), and if they decide to bring their Eco-boost engines on over to the Fusion, it'll look very rough indeed for the Camry.

I'd say they're competitive.

Last edited by Threxx; 05-18-09 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-18-09, 07:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Plus, the Fusion is Recommended by Consumer Reports, getting their highest rating for predicted reliability. Sounds like a competitive Family Sedan to me.

Quick Reply: Fusion Hybrid Averages 81.5 MPG, Sets World Record with 1,445 Miles on Single Tank of