Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Forbes: The Battle To Watch: Volkswagen Vs. Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 05:10 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Ford, Nissan, and GM is using Toyota's patents on Hybrid Synergy Drive as a testament to how well their system is.
For a long time Toyota was simply ahead of everyone else in hybrid technology. I don't think that's necessarily the case anymore. Ford uses its own system in the new Fusion and that one outperforms the Camry-h and seems to be making a name for itself. Nissan will begin using its own system starting in 2010.

I remember a lot of people scoffing at the idea of VW seriously challenging Toyota but here we are. I'm rather surprised myself.
Old 04-29-09, 06:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont think too many people see this one coming, or at least not this fast. Toyota and Lexus have been launching some pretty boring design, they need a kick in the ares to turn things around.
Old 04-29-09, 09:44 AM
kpmg2007
Rookie

Originally Posted by speedflex
For a long time Toyota was simply ahead of everyone else in hybrid technology. I don't think that's necessarily the case anymore. Ford uses its own system in the new Fusion and that one outperforms the Camry-h and seems to be making a name for itself. Nissan will begin using its own system starting in 2010.

I remember a lot of people scoffing at the idea of VW seriously challenging Toyota but here we are. I'm rather surprised myself.
I think VW is taking a wrong direction.
hybrid and future electric power system is the only way to go.
They will taste something bitter soon.
They are too obsessed with conventional internal combustion engine. one day, we will call it an old ,outdated system.

though VW is doing well right now.

However, toyota/lexus do needs to design more sexy looking/fun to drive cars though.
I am glad both honda and toyota are developing hybrid performance car. they might hit our market by 2011.

I like ford, and think this company may still have a chance to claim the top spot in the future. Fiesta is freaking hot. sold more than 50,000 in March in Europe. that's right, 50,000 in a month. It might be as successful as its big brother F-series pickup.
Old 04-29-09, 10:11 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kpmg2007
I think VW is taking a wrong direction.
hybrid and future electric power system is the only way to go.
They will taste something bitter soon.
They are too obsessed with conventional internal combustion engine. one day, we will call it an old ,outdated system.

though VW is doing well right now.

However, toyota/lexus do needs to design more sexy looking/fun to drive cars though.
I am glad both honda and toyota are developing hybrid performance car. they might hit our market by 2011.

I like ford, and think this company may still have a chance to claim the top spot in the future. Fiesta is freaking hot. sold more than 50,000 in March in Europe. that's right, 50,000 in a month. It might be as successful as its big brother F-series pickup.
vw have hybrid's in the pipe line... you call vw old fashioned by using internal combustion, so what they achieve's the same mpg as its hybrid counter parts. calling hybrids the future is a bit farefetched because hybrid's need a internal combustion engine to support it. the only hybrid that i like is the honda clarity because that is a true 0emissions car and its pointing to the future
Old 04-29-09, 10:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
In this case, German "Vanilla" is actually much different from Japanese vanilla.

At the core of Volkswagen's brand identity is Germanic road manners in a solid, German package. Say what you will, but most regular Toyota offerings are boring to drive and immensely reliable. That's Toyota's brand identity, fair or not. The floor would fall out if Toyota started making unreliable cars, or if VW ever tried to sell a car that was as boring to drive as a Toyota, with the reliability of a VW.

As for moving VW "upmarket", the entire push went well beyond the expensive Phaeton and Touareg. Starting at the dawn of the new millennium, The New Bettle, along with the Golf/Bora/Jetta and Passat were the three products that were instrumental to not only keeping VW a relevant player on the global stage, but save it's US operation as well. Pierch wanted only the finest interior materials for these vehicles, and it clearly shows all around. There was real reason why these vehicles were more costly than their competition. More standard safety features, better driving dynamics (standard tiptronic), and best in class interior and exterior build quality. Yes, reliability was another thing altogether, but the Jetta and Passat were (and still are), the benchmarks in their classes. It took the Japanese (Honda, Toyota) until their next product cycles to release something even comparable on the safety front (curtain airbags), let alone the packaging/powertrain front. Even today, they are implementing turbocharged and supercharged power train solutions on inexpensive automobiles, releasing automated dual clutch gear boxes not only on premium vehicles, but on their core product lines. The competition is again taking notice, watch for Direct injection, dual clutch, and turbocharging to be incorporated into mass market offerings from other manufactures during their next product cycles. Of course, there seems to be an obvious price paid on reliability and maintenance costs, but that's the cost of state of the art entry firsts.

Toyota, on the other hand, has finally found something to be proud of with their Hybrid Synergy Drive. Nobody could argue that it isn't a good thing for millions of consumers around the world - it's great, but the problem is, it's boring to drive. Perhaps it's fun on a Lexus model approaching $60K, but in a Camry or Prius, it's boring. Not just the engine, the steering, the suspension, it's all underwhelming. That's why German vanilla tastes different than the Japanese variety.
Pierch is an enginering genius no doubt but his idea of Audi vs BMW and VW vs Benz was nuts. Audi at least has somewhat of a chance and has gotten sportier recently so thats been great. VW cannot begin to compete with Benz and needs to stay focused on being "the peoples car". There are way to many great luxury brands for people to truly want a luxury VW. That said I have always been a fan of VW interiors as of late, they are very well built and in the case of the Passat, above the usual Camry/Accord etc.

Also things like the Bugatti Verynon are a thing of the past. Porsche and their CEO stated "no show offs", if it doesn't make money, it won't be built.

Funny but one of the major reasons Porsche went from unprofitable to being where they are today is when Wendeking took over and hired Japanese engineers to show them the Toyota method and how to eliminate waste.

Originally Posted by speedflex

I think Ford's Fusion is pretty good but Honda has been a huge letdown. The new Insight gets WORSE MPG than the OLD Prius. It is a half *** effort and it shows. They continue to rest on laurels as they have low expecations having sheep for buyers.

As for Nissan we shall see, I don't see Ghosen dumping billions on what is needed here and I'm still not sure he is convinced hybrids are the future. He has stated they are a stop gap.

Lexus continues to lead with hybrid tech as well and the new RX 450 h is amazing to get 30 MPG in a 4500lbs vehicle that is not as aerodynamic as a car. Thats just amazing.

Old 04-29-09, 10:46 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Pierch is an enginering genius no doubt but his idea of Audi vs BMW and VW vs Benz was nuts. Audi at least has somewhat of a chance and has gotten sportier recently so thats been great. VW cannot begin to compete with Benz and needs to stay focused on being "the peoples car". There are way to many great luxury brands for people to truly want a luxury VW. That said I have always been a fan of VW interiors as of late, they are very well built and in the case of the Passat, above the usual Camry/Accord etc.

Also things like the Bugatti Verynon are a thing of the past. Porsche and their CEO stated "no show offs", if it doesn't make money, it won't be built.

Funny but one of the major reasons Porsche went from unprofitable to being where they are today is when Wendeking took over and hired Japanese engineers to show them the Toyota method and how to eliminate waste.
Yeah, I agree with most of this. Just keep in mind though, that the Phaeton wasn't entirely built just for VW - it also underpinned the Bentely Continental and Audi A8 (though that car uses aluminum throughout the body). The story goes that Pierch wanted to roll up to "establishment" fortays not in a measly Passat GLX, but in a truly world class automobile, and that the Phaeton undoubtedly was. The Bugatti Venrynon was also undoubtedly a showcase for VW Group and Pierch himself, developed to make a brash statement about what the company could do (the W8 and W12 are also indicitive of this mentality). I would hope that Porsche doesn't completely do away with it all, as it did lead to some great products down the product line. Not to mention, it wasn't as if all of this flaunting caused the VW Group to become unprofitable or even only marginal - they still rose a huge wave going into 2005, one that they evidently still seem to be on today.
Old 04-29-09, 10:53 AM
LexFather

^^The Phaeton is a true D class flagship. It is superb and on par with everything else. It just had the wrong badge. The resale value is horrid but that means you can pick up a car built in a glass factory where you can eat off the floor for 35k!!!

I love the Phaeton!

Old 04-29-09, 11:01 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Pierch is an enginering genius no doubt but his idea of Audi vs BMW and VW vs Benz was nuts.
Yeah, that's as nuts as GM's idea of Caddy vs. BMW and Buick vs. Lexus...

As for Phaeton, I really like that car, I call it a 0.99 true flagship, the only thing lacking is the badge.
Old 04-29-09, 11:34 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, VW>Toyota and Audi>Lexus, long run terms VW will win once Audi starts selling in the US.

smh @ Phaeton, what a sexy car, VW should have build this car on A6 platform and put this car against Avalon, Maxima etc.
Old 04-29-09, 11:58 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking VW is going to be introducing some very nice cars in the near future with Walter de'Silva as the design director.

He's responsible for the Audi Nuvolari Concept, much of the design language in the new Audis, which I think is awesome.

Here's a great article in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/au...0design&st=cse
Old 04-29-09, 12:30 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I can see how VW will do very well in the enxt few years. Their new designs are very refreshing, not boring like the new Toyota designs. VW's new free schedule maintenance program should also help buyers who is uneasy about VW's relaibility.
Old 05-03-09, 06:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This may have a little to do with VW's recent boost. Government incentives over in Europe! At least 8 countries in Europe are giving cash to customers who trade in their old cars for new more fuel efficient models.

So this high VW is riding may be an artificial outlook of things to come. This incentive won't last.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ar-market.html

http://www.aboutmyplanet.com/green-n...es-in-germany/

They are getting $3,250 cash to trade in! I'd buy too!

Not working out to well for their governments budgets, lol.....

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/646018d0-2...077b07658.html

My money is still with Toyota.
Old 05-03-09, 07:18 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

I'd have to pick Toyota. VW has nicer interiors for sure and while the exterior looks of their overall lineup is nice also, it isn't all that great enough to give them any kind of serious advantage over Toyota.
As for driving dynamics, I don't think it plays too much of a role in the A-to-B vehicle market which Toyota dominates, and which VW needs to capture to overtake them.
To sum it up, I think it would be easier for Toyota to produce better looking cars with better interiors than it would be for VW to match Toyota's reliability. In fact, Toyota's already started on the interior aspect except for the Corolla.
Old 05-04-09, 06:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota use to have the advantage over VW with access to cheap labor, but thats not the case anymore. With the cost of living rising in Japan, they are paying as much as the Germans for labor. Both countries are else where to try to save money, the winner of the this race will be the one can can stay afloat finanically.
Old 05-04-09, 08:45 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I can see how VW will do very well in the enxt few years. Their new designs are very refreshing, not boring like the new Toyota designs. VW's new free schedule maintenance program should also help buyers who is uneasy about VW's relaibility.
BMW and VW have to offer free maintenance due to the fact that they require special oils for warranty purposes and they cannot be obtained elsewhere - Castrol SLX Professional is exotic and no BP/Castrol jobber has it in quantity.

Quick Reply: Forbes: The Battle To Watch: Volkswagen Vs. Toyota