Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trying to trade my 08 Audi S5 for a brand new CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 08:43 AM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im with the majority of what other members have said.

But hey, doesnt hurt to try. So go to your local Caddi dealer and give it a shot.
Old 04-29-09, 09:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Anyone think I can get a even trade on my 2008 A4 for a 2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo?
Old 04-29-09, 10:02 AM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Anyone think I can get a even trade on my 2008 A4 for a 2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo?
Lmfao ahaha

..Umm, sure...why not.
Old 04-29-09, 10:27 AM
LexFather

If you want a deal, the key is to wait to see WHICH dealers are closing . Then you go there, find a disgruntled salesperson who doesn't give a crap, a finance manager trying to find a job and get the best deal you can.

I won't be a widespread fire sale I am assuming but there will be more than enough smoking deals going on.

Do remember the CTS-V is one of the few true bright spots they have so expect it to be harder to find a super deal.

As for the S5, its a beauty. My question is are you TRULY going to exploit the extra power, braking etc skill from the CTS-V or do you just want to "know"you will have it?

Old 04-29-09, 10:38 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ "Knowing is half the battle..." or something like that...
Old 04-29-09, 10:51 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Like I said, I am assuming that even a CTS-V will be a hard sell once GM proceeds to go into bankruptcy protection. I don't think there are many people out there willing to shell out 60 grand for a car that might not have warranty.
a new CTS-V right now, MSRP's at just south of $70,000. http://prod3.gmautobuilder.com/Build....byo?year=2009 . Even IF you found one for $60,000, your car NEW commands a price roughly $50-55,000. I dont think you will get a Caddy dealer to come down $20,000+. There isnt even a dodge dealer giving $20,000+ incentives on Rams, let alone a caddy dealer. You may find a slightly used one, but new, its HIGHLY unlikely...because even worst case scenario, at auction, a CTS-V will likely fetch closer to $65,000, even without a warranty.

again, just my .02. I wish you luck on finding the deal you want.
Old 04-29-09, 10:55 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
a new CTS-V right now, MSRP's at just south of $70,000. http://prod3.gmautobuilder.com/Build....byo?year=2009 . Even IF you found one for $60,000, your car NEW commands a price roughly $50-55,000. I dont think you will get a Caddy dealer to come down $20,000+. There isnt even a dodge dealer giving $20,000+ incentives on Rams, let alone a caddy dealer. You may find a slightly used one, but new, its HIGHLY unlikely...because even worst case scenario, at auction, a CTS-V will likely fetch closer to $65,000, even without a warranty.

again, just my .02. I wish you luck on finding the deal you want.

+1 I think the dead horse just yelled uncle

Old 04-29-09, 12:34 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of you that are stating the price of the car seem like you are completely disregarding the fact that GM will have a hard time selling ANY vehicle from now on. Even when bankruptcy was just a possibility people had doubts about buying their cars, and now where bankruptcy seems imminent you guys are acting like that will have zero impact on the situation.
Old 04-29-09, 01:16 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Those of you that are stating the price of the car seem like you are completely disregarding the fact that GM will have a hard time selling ANY vehicle from now on. Even when bankruptcy was just a possibility people had doubts about buying their cars, and now where bankruptcy seems imminent you guys are acting like that will have zero impact on the situation.
The CTS-V isn't just "any car" as you state. It will probably fall into a category with ZR1s, Camaro SSs, and maybe a few others that will have a strong following even despite the company's current financial situation. This isn't going to be like a Malibu or G6 where they have hundreds of them sitting on the lot that they cannot get rid of...it's a brand new, one off, very low production, high performance sedan.

I have worked in a dealership before and can assure you that they will never do an even swap of this nature. Sorry
Old 04-29-09, 01:38 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

You do realize that GM is not going away, and neither is the Cadillac brand?

They will close some stores, but probably not many Cadillac stores.
Old 04-29-09, 01:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8speed
+1 I think the dead horse just yelled uncle

The vultures are flying around.
Old 04-29-09, 03:08 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

First of all, Cadillac is in business to MAKE money, not lose $20,000 out of fear that they may not sell whatever small inventory they may have of the new CTS-V. As others have stated, you may have something to work with if a DEALER that has INVENTORY of CTS-Vs on their lot is going out of business. But even then, the best you can hope for is a deal on a NEW purchase. Why would a dealer going out of business give away whatever inventory they have left to gain USED inventory that may be just as hard to sell?

The best thing to do is just sell your S5 on your own, and then take whatever you can get and put it toward the purchase of a new CTS-V and pay the difference out of pocket. It is the ONLY way to do it if you are that unhappy with your S5. The best you can hope for is a deal from a dealer who is willing to negotiate. However, NO dealer is going to entertain such a ridiculous offer as you propose, so just forget about it.
Old 04-29-09, 04:01 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

couple low mileage V's going for 56k

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/_W..._osacat=__6001

These prices are dropping worse than the 08 IS-F's

But the more I look at the lines of this car, the more I keep thinking

I just can't put my finger on it!
Old 04-29-09, 04:57 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

none of those have the recaro seats!
Old 04-29-09, 05:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8speed

But the more I look at the lines of this car, the more I keep thinking

I just can't put my finger on it!

The lines on Caddies emulate the Escalade (a truck), not my favorite way to style a sport sedan/passenger car.

Quick Reply: Trying to trade my 08 Audi S5 for a brand new CTS-V